Temporary Fix

32flavors

I thought I would have the money for a canister filter by now, but it looks like another week or 2. My question is, I have a 75 gallon all set up and ready for the little guy, the only problem is that the only filter I have for now only does 200 gph. This filter is cycled. For one small fish, (< 1 inch) would this be ok temporarily? I would leave him in quarantine, but I will be house sitting for my mother in law for almost 2 weeks and will probably only make it home every 2-3 days. I figured with 75 gallons, and only one tiny fish, the larger volume of water would be more forgiving.

well...if you can still keep up with water changes and test the water everytime you visit him..I think it should be ok temporarily...I think more experienced members should be able to give u a better idea..however, it would be nice to test the water parameters and post them here..so moderators and experienced members can give you a better idea and some tips to cope up with the situation..I hope things work out well for you..

I changed out 50+ gallons of water today so the parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5 (barely registered), ph 7.2 I will be able to test and change water accordingly when I come by the house. Probably at some point while i'm house sitting, I'll make enough extra tip money to go out and buy a nice, big canister filter. So, I'll put that on as soon as i get it.

ah...this sounds good...make sure in 6-7 days again to change at least 30-40% water..I really think it should be ok otherwise....and good luck with the tip money.. ;) ..i hope you get enough to buy the filter...take care...I think it should be good for 2 weeks...keep a check though... :)

that sounds like a good plan..stick by it...you should do good... :thumbup: :goodluck ...and when ur back post some pictures of the lil guy...Also keep us posted here...would love to know how it goes in the next few days...

I think this should be just fine! One 1 inch fish in a 75 gallon is almost akin to one of us peeing in Lake Superior. Oh, okay, maybe not that large, but still, that little thing won't make a dent in the water quality. The bigger concern as far as I can see is enough oxygen. Bigger volume of water with a small filter. Can you either set it up so that you create a really good waterfall, i.e., keep the water level lower, and/or add lots of bubblers?

Lol, the oxygen I think is fine. My husband's not crazy about it, but I'm leaving the air conditioner on while we're gone so the tank temps don't rise too much. Where the filter hits the water, I can see air bubbles go down about 75% of the way to the bottom. I think this should be sufficient, I was just really worried about being sooooo underfiltered.

Ah, the aeration and temperature sound great! No, I think the filtration will be fine; especially as you're coming by every 2-3 days. Just do a good water change and cleaning before you leave and test your water when you visit, but I doubt you'll see any problems.

I'm home for a few hours to check on everyone and my tiny fish is great. Water readings are fine, but I'm doing a large water change anyway. I'm so relieved. I've been so worried that I'd come home to a floating fish. I also came home to find my new bottle of prazipro here waiting for me. It's a happy day.

I'm home for a few hours to check on everyone and my tiny fish is great. Water readings are fine, but I'm doing a large water change anyway. I'm so relieved. I've been so worried that I'd come home to a floating fish. I also came home to find my new bottle of prazipro here waiting for me. It's a happy day.

I'm so glad all is well! I know that feeling of worrying what you're gonna come home to! Last two times I've gone out of town, I've come back to disasters! I swear I'm never leaving the house again! lol!

Ooooh good. You must be so relieved.. : ) Hopefully the rest of the time away goes just as smoothly.

Last two times I've gone out of town, I've come back to disasters! I swear I'm never leaving the house again! lol!

After some of the stories I've heard, I never want to go on a vacation again!!! Good news is, I can't afford a big vacation anyway. (a two day beach trip at a cheap motel is a big deal for me! LMAO)

Ooooh good. You must be so relieved.. : ) Hopefully the rest of the time away goes just as smoothly.
Last two times I've gone out of town, I've come back to disasters! I swear I'm never leaving the house again! lol!
After some of the stories I've heard, I never want to go on a vacation again!!! Good news is, I can't afford a big vacation anyway. (a two day beach trip at a cheap motel is a big deal for me! LMAO)
You guys are scaring me I leave in 3 days for a 10 day vacation to Hungary :krazy:

edit: PC did weird

Edited by Quasi

Don't be so worried about it that you don't enjoy your vacation. If it makes you feel better, all my fish were fine when I got home. The only thing I noticed was a little bit of color fading from the lack of light. We usually keep blinds open all day when we're home. Have a great vacation and don't worry so much.