Making Your Water Changes Work For You

amynmitchell

In California, we always seem to be in a drought of some sort. And since starting my tank I can't help, but feel guilty changing anywhere from ten to twenty gallons of water a week. It seems like such a waste to take this water and dump it down the drain only to turn around and fill up my bucket again and again to refill my tank. I've been reading some people lately talking about their landlords complaining about their water use as well. That is a concern as well.

But I started thinking that there is a great way to re-use this water so it doesn't go to waste. I always have desperately thirsty houseplants and two huge vegetable plots in my community garden. I actually buy organic fertilizer. Seems silly when I realized that I have (or will once my fishless cycle is over) a whole tankful of wonderful pre-fertilized water.

The easy way to do this is to save your gallon containers or if you can get a large five gallon water container with a cap (much larger than that would be hard to carry). Syphon your dirty water directly into these containers. Finish your water cycling and then go water your plants or garden.

If you don't have a garden, I bet one of your friends might and they would love this free fertilized water! Buy a houseplant or two (they add all kinds of great oxygen and air cleaning power to your home) or even use it for cut flowers. I used to pay for fertlilized water at my local garden center...how silly. And when we are under watering rules here (it happens sometimes during the drought) I can still water and not break any rules. Cool!

Great idea!! I read a similiar post recently. I don't have a real garden but we have a few flowers and little trees that no one really pays attention to in our front yard. The area remains very dry. I've been trying to dump my extra buckets of water in that section as much as possible. Our water bill has been INSANE these last few months. Not just with the fish tanks, but mostly with the pool. We were having trouble getting it started, with a leaky broken pool filter, and we had to keep adding water to it. We finally got it under control!!!

I always do my water change with a Python, which when hooked up the right way can be a GREAT water waster. So I stopped hooking it to the faucet while removing water & vacuuming the gravel. I run it out the door, it pulls plenty enough water to properly vacuum all the gravel! I run the out going water to my plants on the front porch & out to the side garden. (Glad I got the 50 footer!)

I vacuum all three tanks. THEN I hook the Python up to the sink to refill. It works great! AND my plants get natural fertilizer!!

I was reading in my Veggie Times magazine that a woman felt guilty wasting water to take a hot bath instead of a shower and then she realized she could use a turkey baster to suction up the water and use it for her garden...she probably didn't know about a siphon, but since we use them all the time and can waste a ton of water...why not save a bit and feel more "green" about our fishkeeping.

• 2 months later...

Another great tip from you Amy and, when it's sooo sooo important these days to do as many "green" things as possible, we all should make this a mandatory part of each of our water change regimens!

Edited by Lynda Von G

• 4 years later...

Phil, will you do me a favor and pay attention to the date of the last post in any thread? If it's older than three months, and there isn't anything particularly urgent that needs to be added to it, don't add a new post, please. :)

Phil, will you do me a favor and pay attention to the date of the last post in any thread? If it's older than three months, and there isn't anything particularly urgent that needs to be added to it, don't add a new post, please. :)

Sorry Alex....but I am relatively new to the forum "scene" and finding my way around the site, In my defence I am just innocently commenting on the abundance of posts that I am exploring on a daily basis....I am sorry that this is annoying you!!

I will endeavour to adhere to your request....and stop posting "pointless" responses.

Congratulations on making a 56 year old British male feel like a child though!! ;)

Phil, you aren't annoying me, nor should you feel like a child because a moderator of the forum is simply pointing out to you some of the specifics of this forum. If you read around enough, you will see such admonishments cropping up with newcomers fairly often. It is not judgmental. It simply is a request, and does not need to be taken any more than that.

Fair comment Alex and I respect and understand your explanation....

However, my novice actions could have been corrected via a subtle PM, which would also have caused less public embarrassment to me.

It would also have removed the chance for more experienced members, who should understand better but who only too eagerly, click the "Like This" button in support of such responses.

Perhaps they could be more tolerant of a newbies mistakes also, they were there themselves once.....some people have very short memories don't they?

Take care for now... :thumb:

However, my novice actions could have been corrected via a subtle PM, which would also have caused less public embarrassment to me.

It would also have removed the chance for more experienced members, who should understand better but who only too eagerly, click the "Like This" button in support of such responses.

Perhaps they could be more tolerant of a newbies mistakes also, they were there themselves once.....some people have very short memories don't they?

Phill, the reason we do not PM is not to embarrass the person, more so that the comment requesting people not post over a certain time period in a thread is read by other newer members that also do not know.

Your posts were not pointless, however if you wish to bring something back up that is old, you can make a new thread and even copy a link of the thread you are referring to. This allows members to freshly contribute to the conversation without resurrecting older threads. It just keeps everything neater and up-to-date :)

Furthermore, the like button is also a method of agreeing, or backing up someones post, and is not intended as a method to gang up on someone.

If you have any further concerns, you can use the report button at the bottom of a post and express your concern, or alternatively, PM a member of the moderating team. That way we can allow this topic to fall back and not keep it active.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Narny105

Phil, as I have stated before, and will state again, there is no intention of publicly embarrassing you. I understand very well that you are new to the forum, and so I inform of our standard practices. I did not place you at fault, but was merely discussing a procedural rule. I fail to see why you would choose to be embarrassed.

Now, if you were to flagrantly flaunt the rules, despite repeated warnings, that's an entirely different matter. I would have have said so in my post as well.

Please re-read my original message.

I hope the matter has been thoroughly discussed by this point, and that there is no further misunderstandings of intent or embarrassment.

Thank you.