Tank Shopping!

Nomi

Well, today was exciting! I got to go shopping for the tank set-up that will be coming up with me to Art School! I ended up with a lovely 14 gallon tank, and just about everything I could ever possibly need. The employees were VERY knowledgeable, which was a treat.

I was planning to get a 20 gallon, but both my parents bullied me down from it saying that since the apartment I'm renting is small and I was going to be putting the tank on the kitchen counter, I couldn't possibly get a 20 gallon. >_< Even the nice fish person was on my side upon hearing that I indeed planned to be keeping two fish in the tank. But noooo..... I should really stop being so easy to push around. That said, my parents were buying everything for me for my birthday and I could very well have been going up to art school with no tank at all, so I suppose I was better of safe than sorry. Everything else went very well though, I found everything I was looking for (except for some buckets which I can easily get elsewhere), even the lovely fake bamboo I was considering buying online.

Though I was planning to get Ophie a tankmate, though now I am stuck with the 14 gallon that's pretty much a no-go. However... Ophie is still small, and if I happen to see a small goldfish I happen to love I know what I'll be thinking: "Oh, it'll be fine, I keep on top of the water perimeters and change the water every week or more..." So who knows.

Somebody please tell me that a 20 gallon would in fact be too heavy for a counter so I don't feel too bad about not getting the 20 G. >_<

Well, a 20 gallon long tank with water would weigh about 225 lbs. That would be like having the college fullback sit on your counter. Would it hold? Well, it probably would... Sorry! Not what you wanted to hear. But, how about this? Having one fish in a 15 gallon tank means plenty of room to grow and room for ammonia to cycle well. Which means less work for you. And as busy as you'll be with school, you're not going to have the time to devote to caring for an overcrowded tank. Does this work?

:Congrats: on your new tank! You actually have pretty cool parents to do this for you! Good luck with your tank and with school! Rah rah!

Thank you! Yeah, I suppose I just have to refrain from going to pet stores so I don't come home with another goldfish.

And THAT is ALL of our weakness! You see those cute little faces looking at you and you melt and that's it! lol! I make up for not being able to buy more fish by buying them lots of presents like treats and redecorating their tank a lot! Hey, it's something!

Well, as it turns out, while I was out getting the remaining supplies I needed for my new tank, the pet store just got a brand spanking new shipment of pearlscales in. >_< And guess what I came home with? (pictures will be coming tomorrow). Rest assured, I will be all over water testing and water changes, and after speaking with my parents I will, for sure, be getting a 20 gallon (Or BIGGER! :Jig: ) once school is over, in eight months. It is just a space issue for now.

• Admin

I actually think you did good going with the 14 gal tank hun. If you would have gone with that 20 gal tank it would have at some time start warping the counter...Not good. So dont be sad I think it was a wise choice :D

Well thank you! Once I pick where I will continue to finish my degree I'll make sure to have room for a proper stand wherever I live. For now, I'm quite happy!