First Day Of School!

Tinkokeshi

first day of school! first day of school!

here are some pics of my new classroom which will hopefully be for the next couple of years. :D

here's the "entrance" to my class"room" from the outside looking in.

i have the end hallway and it's kinda like an open space teaching area...

not bad, but definitely not GREAT!

myclassroomfromtheoutside.jpg

(the board is there because my mom came to visit from her school which is literally like 7 - 10 mins down the street, and she said seeing right into my room with my desk right there is bad feng shui :P )

so it's there to make her happy.

here's the "inside" of the classroom...

there are actually 2 classrooms on this end, and since there is no other teacher, i essentially have 2 classrooms.

one side with chairs and desks, and the other i will move all the desks to the side and have activities there. :D

myclassroomfromtheentry.jpg

from my room looking out to the right...

lookingouttotherightfromtheclassroo.jpg

from my room looking out to the left...

lookingouttotheleftfromtheclassroom.jpg

i can also use this space for activities. :D

this will be SOOOO exciting.

so anywho... the security guard and the senior office assistant (the principal's assistant) came by to deliver a surprise that came in this morning.

a gift for the first day of school!

haha righto!

y'all guessed it!

some purrrrty fleurs from my one and only. :wub:

LiliesfromDaniel.jpg

Liliesalreadyopening.jpg

:D lilies this time! purrrty.

so that concludes my first day of school!!!

now that i've koko-ed...

time to prepare for the second day! :tomuch:

oh i'm teaching honors math, chinese, and a problem solving class for freshmen.

eek!

I like the banana and the change of clothing on the back of the chair!!! Planning on getting messy? ( Pretty cool flowers, too! Someone has good taste! ;) )

What is this - a warehouse for kids? I have never seen a school, other than some college level classrooms, that have the high open ceilings. I guess it helps in a hotter climate? That is really ..... open. I can think of all kinds of fun stuff to do in that space! So much physics....

We always had to shovel off the walks to drive our cars, use the stairwells for the slinkiesl throw the frozen superballs at the outdoor walls and try to miss the principal's car with the potato gun. You could really blow that place up nicely - and being at the end of the building, get away with it!!!

***Fire? What fire? Don't worry - it is out now.. ***

I like your classroom. I want to come and be a mad scientist in that sort of space!

Your classroom is huge! My mom would be so jealous they just remodeled her school and her room is one of the largest because it's science but yours is HUGE! and to waste all that space on math...just kidding, numbers and I don't get along, so I poke fun at math when I can, you know that saying that you make fun of what you don't understand...anywho those are lovely lillies! What a good guy you have there! Have a good school year Ms Chen!

Nice banana!

haha it was tasty too! :druel :

Oh, looks clean and spacious!

Cute little computer! :D

oh yeah! all the teachers get issued new macbooks every year.

there are only 12 of us so far... and maybe 3-4 more will join in the next few years!

we're a small school. :)

What fun! I'd love to be a teacher. So why is school starting in August, what madness is this?! :P

mmm school starts early august because we get out late may.

i remember when i was in high school we started late august and got out late may...

:glare: maybe we decided our kids here in arizona need more school time. :P

I like the banana and the change of clothing on the back of the chair!!! Planning on getting messy? ( Pretty cool flowers, too! Someone has good taste! ;) )

What is this - a warehouse for kids? I have never seen a school, other than some college level classrooms, that have the high open ceilings. I guess it helps in a hotter climate? That is really ..... open. I can think of all kinds of fun stuff to do in that space! So much physics....

We always had to shovel off the walks to drive our cars, use the stairwells for the slinkiesl throw the frozen superballs at the outdoor walls and try to miss the principal's car with the potato gun. You could really blow that place up nicely - and being at the end of the building, get away with it!!!

***Fire? What fire? Don't worry - it is out now.. ***

I like your classroom. I want to come and be a mad scientist in that sort of space!

well to answer your many questions... i think some background info about the school is needed. this is the newest school in the phoenix union high school district. it is downtown next to the downtown ASU campus, TGEN - the genomics research company, University of Arizona Medical School, close to the science museum, theater, ballpark, etc. it's called Bioscience High School

it's a school devoted to helping the students who are up for a challenge when it comes to their education (which unfortunately, many students in arizona are not.)

these kids are honors kids, gifted kids, kids who are bored out of their minds in their middle schools because the curriculum is not teaching towards the average or honors students, it's teaching towards trying to keep kids in school and passing, and graduating so numbers will not drop. everything was actually left "open" on purpose so students could see all the fixin's and makin's of a building and ponder. we want the kids to ponder... to ask why... to challenge the teachers... which makes teaching here so exciting and nerve wracking! haha.

at bioscience, there are only about 100 kids in each grade level. currently we have a total of about 200 kids since the sophomore and junior classes were only about 50 kids each.

here we are not so worried about "following the rules" as much as we are about making sure the content or students learn, they'll be able to apply when they graduate. because the school is so small, students have to apply for admission.

we've got the same ethnic distribution as other schools in arizona, the same "types" of kids such as the bratty ones, the smart ones, the preppy ones, etc etc. but the thing is they all have the common goal of wanting to learn in a safe environment with teachers, staff and a principal who have really high expectations.

haha ok so now that i've gotten VERY off topic... the extra clothes.

- i get cold easily, so the black sweater is for me to wear cuz the classrooms in my opinion are always cold.

- the lab coat is given to every teacher who teaches at bioscience. we're a science and school.

the school IS very much like a warehouse haha for little mad scientists!

there are pictures on the webpage for the school... the science facilities are VERRRY nice. (like better than the ones i had in college!)

i'm very lucky to have been chosen to teach here cuz there are a LOT of teachers who want to teach here.

since the school is so small, they don't hire often (unless a teacher's teaching philosophy is completely contrary to the school's goals),

and they hire teachers who are either really good, or can teach multiple subjects (cuz the school is small and needs multitalented teachers).

Your classroom is huge! My mom would be so jealous they just remodeled her school and her room is one of the largest because it's science but yours is HUGE! and to waste all that space on math...just kidding, numbers and I don't get along, so I poke fun at math when I can, you know that saying that you make fun of what you don't understand...anywho those are lovely lillies! What a good guy you have there! Have a good school year Ms Chen!

well "my" side of the building is actually for 2 teachers... but since we don't have that many yet, i don't have to share. haha. :D

besides... we all know that I DON'T SHARE! hahaha. j/p.

• 4 weeks later...

yep it's a public school.

the only two languages we offer are spanish and chinese...

the creators of the school thought that those would be the two most helpful languages for our students...

if they want to go into the medical field or business field.

it's a small school, so there's not much room for many more options.

yep it's a public school.

the only two languages we offer are spanish and chinese...

the creators of the school thought that those would be the two most helpful languages for our students...

if they want to go into the medical field or business field.

it's a small school, so there's not much room for many more options.

really our school system should follow that

we have spanish and french..

French!?

In the Flemish part of Belgium, we get French lessons from 10 to 18 years old (the grades system is a bit different here, so ages should be more informative). From 12-18 years of age we get English as well. If you chose 'science', then that's all the language you get (apart from Dutch, which we obviously get from 6 to 18 y/o). 'Economics' sometimes also can chose between German and Spanish, and 'languages' usually get both. (I'm disregarding Latin and Greek here as languages; they're more akin to mathematics anyway)

Edited by Erinaceus