More Questions

Ok,these guys will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. There are 5 still in the 2 gallon they hatched in. ( I moved the tiny runt in with the 2 week olds since it was about the same size as them) They seem to be healthy and growing. I do a 50% water change daily as well as cleaning the bottom as needed. My questions are: will they be ok in this small tank for a while yet? Is it even safe to try and move them to a bigger space yet? Since they are doing so well I'd rather not move them if I do't have to. I had originally planned on moving them eventually into the 10 gallon but now the 2 week olds are in there. They are quite a bit smaller than these 5 so am a mite worried they end up as snacks for their bigger siblings. I honestly was not expecting anything to come of the eggs I pulled let alone have babies that appear to be doing fine,lol. I do have a 20 gallon long and tupperware containers that I can set up if I can figure out where in the heck to put them. So any advice on whether they need moved or can stay put for now gratefully acceted.

p.s. I am testing their water with API drop test kit to keep track of any water issues. So far so good. The water changes are keeping things good there.

Took these pics today. What I wouldn't give for a decent camera,sigh.

8-04-08001-tile.jpg

I'm still amazed at large yours have grown already at 3 weeks.

I have some at 1-2months not that big. What are you feeding them?

Personally I've been using larger ice-cream containers (with aeration) as temporary homes for the big 1 or 2, so I can

- prevent them from eating the smaller ones

- feed them up

before moving them to my bigger tank.

I fully understand whats its like having containers full of fry all over the place. Its sooo addictive

Hi Fry!

They get Liquid Fry, Hikari First Bites and frozen hatched baby brine shrimp. Day before yesterday I dropped a piece of an Omega One Veggie Wafer in to see if they were interested. They were so will be adding that. I wonder if they are big enough to crush some of regular pellets to try just to add some extra variety? Next trip to PSPlus I'm hoping to get some daphnia as that was recommended. I've never had babies before so this is all unknown ground for me. So I'm guessing they are ok where they are for a little while yet?

OMG, you must be spending a small fortune on them.

I'm feeding my newly hatched batch 4 on live Baby Brine Shrimp (which i'm hatching myself), although I can't produce them in the quantities to feed all my babies. Yeah liquifry, I've been feeding mine those aswell.

I wonder whether its space. In all my fry tanks, there are alot of mouths to feed and not much space each.

Daphnia is ok, if you can get it fresh. (always find out what days its delivered and go in on that day).

I'm not sure whether they sell it frozen. (i can't even get baby brineshrimp frozen :( ) Plus I'm skint.

Edited by fry

I'm really not spending all that much as there are only 6 from one spawn and 8 from the second a week later. I wasn't trying for babies. Had two new fish in quarantine together and the darn things decided to "go forth and multiply", lol. Let the adults eat most of the eggs and then for the heck of it threw the plant in some water in the small tank. Went to clean it out a few days later and there were 7 babies in there. (I had to cull one) Same thing with the second go. Got 8 hatched out there. Just figured I'd save a few eggs for the heck of it and now look,lol. PSPlus does have frozen daphnia. Saw it when I bought the baby brine shrimp. The adults are no longer together as quarantine is over and Black Velvet (Oranda) was moved to the 75 gallon.

Post away, we all love fry pics :D

I do think space is important. The fry will die off to fit the space often.

Well I just posted some ;)

I agree about space. Mine haven't grown quickly because of too many. I'm trying to pick out the best ones in each batch and raise them.

How big are they tip to tail? With 6 of them I would say by an inch long at the latest they should be given a larger home. Remember, with fry you can stunt their growth if kept in too cramped of conditions. This can be alleviated to some extent by frequent waterchanges, which it looks like you are doing. But I say you can never go wrong with more space. And, after they are swimming about they should be able to handle deeper expanses of water, as long as the filter flow is not too strong for them. If possible the 20 gal would be the best as it would allow them to grow the most before you have to move them again.

Ok,thanks!! As near as I can get a measure, the biggest one is slightly over 1/2". The other 4 are just about a 1/2'. Guess I will find a spot to go ahead and get the 20 set up somewhere. Sounds like it won't be long before they are going to need it.

Now,would it be possible to add the other 8 younger ones to the 20 at least for a while once they are big enough not to get eaten? That would be 14 total if I don't lose/cull any.

Well, I did move the five out of the 2 gallon but ended up getting another 10 gallon for them instead of the 20 gal for the moment. Between other tanks and dog crates there just isn't anywhere to put it at the moment. The 10 gal with the other eight fry is sitting on the stand I was going to use for the 20 gal. I'm hoping that by the time the five are out growing their new 10 that the eight will be big enough to go in with them and all can go in the 20 after I take down the 10 gal they presently occupy opening up the space for said 20 gal. Then of course I have to start thinking about what I'm going to do with them once they get too big to all be in the 20 gal together. WHEW!

Lord,the above reads like an Abbott & Costello routine,rofl!! :rofl

Think I should have just let the parents eat all the eggs, sigh.

Awww no. Just think how good it is going to feel if any of them survive and turn out to be big beautiful goldies like their parents.. You are going to be soooo PROUD!

That being said, I hope I NEVER see eggs, because it seems like a LOT of work!! Whew..Keep it up Kathy! (okay actually I am lying, this whole thing has actually peaked my interest in breeding, fry, etc)

Indeed, it isn't half funny that your neighbours start popping around more often when you've got baby fish.

I must have already promised half of my first batch away.