What Do People Think Of Snails?

Guest katie.P

Guest katie.P

hello =]

I have a tank cycling and then when its ready i will hopefully be getting a black moor :D

I have some african land snails but quite fancy getting a golden apple snail because i have read that people keep them with their goldies, so, what do people think of them and are they recomended tank mates?

They can be fine with goldies, but sometimes the fish will pick at the snail, it really depends on your fish's personality. Also, they produce a lot of waste so you need a large enough tank with good filtration. They are very fun to watch and keep :)

hello =]

I have a tank cycling and then when its ready i will hopefully be getting a black moor :D

I have some african land snails but quite fancy getting a golden apple snail because i have read that people keep them with their goldies, so, what do people think of them and are they recomended tank mates?

I haven't a clue about the snails question :unsure: but I just wanted to applaud that you're first cycling a tank and only then getting a goldfish :D . Few people have the sense to do it in that order, at least before coming to Koko's that is, so you can feel proud to be among those few ;) .

I have mixed feelings about snails. Yes, they are neat little creatures and fun to watch and keep. But I wouldn't suggest getting one if you are getting it just for the purpose of keeping the tank clean of algae (because the poo that they make outweighs the amount they clean). I found them to be awfully poo-ey. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Had three beautiful apple snails. One was blue and the other two golden. Loved them dearly, but they were literally plant lawn mowers...Not that Echo doesnt do a great job destroying my live decor on his own...It's just that if he didnt uproot the plants quick enough, they did, and more often than not the plants would end up floating about the top and not quite in reach of the snails...So they didnt get too much of their food that way. .___.

They arent great algae eaters, if you want them for that reason. It's kind of cool seeing their little mouth mark sludge through the algae, but leaves a weird pattern on the tank. I never minded that, maybe people who don't like algae or keep their tanks sparkling clear of algae would. :whistle I'm just too lazy for that and always thought everyone liked to nibble. ;)

As far as when your goldies get sick, I find this to be a REAL pain, but the snails MUST be removed and placed in a separate container for as long as you treat the goldfish. Snails are pretty sensitive to medications and salt, so that's kind of a hassel and I really hated removing them from the main tank...I always felt like I was siding them, so I'd be uprooting plants to leave in their spare tank when treating Athena and Echo.

Unfortunately, Echo's a little nipper and I only caught him eating one of my LIVE snails on the death-bed of the last golden. ]: So, as people said up top, some fish just are not meant to be placed with mystery snails. I loved them dearly, they were pretty neat to watch, especially my giant golden. :rip: I'd consider getting them again, but only if I were to get another tank, without goldfish, and make it a planted one just for them. I think you should really consider getting one or a few if you've got the tank or some extra tank space! They're pretty cool little guys.

I love mine to death. He is such a wonder addition to my tank. He does poo a lot, he will leave little piles any where it stays for a period of time. He does eat algae but that is not what he is for. He has not eaten my plants except the decaying parts. He even cleans the algae off my anubias. My fish mostly leave him alone and he quickly learns to keep his antanne tucked in when fish are near. Only Hoover aggrevates him but only because he is sifting sand where Mr. Snail happens to be. Wrong place wrong time kinda thing, doesn't do it on purpose.

Guest katie.P

ok, from reading through all the replys, i think i shall wait to first see the personality of the fish i get AND probably wait intill i get a bigger tank (which could be ages) but i think i will manage without one for now :)

So what about the little snails on plants you get in the tank? do people like or hate them?

ok, from reading through all the replys, i think i shall wait to first see the personality of the fish i get AND probably wait intill i get a bigger tank (which could be ages) but i think i will manage without one for now :)

So what about the little snails on plants you get in the tank? do people like or hate them?

Most people hate the little snails that come with plants, but if your goldies are big enough they will love them. :feedme Plus I have heard that some of them get big.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have two apple (mystery) snails. Gary and Sally. They got HUGE. As in bigger than a golfball! I loved taking them out of the tank and putting them in a bowl with algae wafers and lettuce and letting them slime around on my hand :P

They definately are super-pooers :D If you do get one, just so you know, where they latch on to the glass (almost like where they go to sleep) the slime is almost impossible to get off. It feels more gritty than slimey. I had to use a razor blade to get it off :glare: I would love to get another, but no place around here sells them anymore :(

I love mine. They are in my planted tanks and over the years have never ate my plants. Not much good as a clean up crew but so much fun to watch. I have purples, ivories and some regular golden ones.

Guest Kaija!

my parents tropical tank had afew to start with and now, about 3 years later, the tank is overrun bu them, and they have snail eating fish intheir aswell lol