Sign in to follow this  
Guest katie.P

Ammonia Lvls

Guest katie.P

i started cycling my first tank yesterday, i bought a goldfish starter kit without a tank that had a test kit, filter stater and tap water safe stuff in it.

Well i looked in the testkit thing, the only 2 in their were ph and nitrite!

Is their a way to tell the ammonia without a test?

say ... ammonia gets turned into nitrite yes? ... so when the nitrite starts going up that means their is ammonia in the tank and the bacteria is working ... so then when the nitrite starts going down that means it is being turned in to nitrate yes?

so would this method work or should i get another test kit because my mum seems to think this would work but im not to sure?

i started cycling my first tank yesterday, i bought a goldfish starter kit without a tank that had a test kit, filter stater and tap water safe stuff in it.

Well i looked in the testkit thing, the only 2 in their were ph and nitrite!

Is their a way to tell the ammonia without a test?

say ... ammonia gets turned into nitrite yes? ... so when the nitrite starts going up that means their is ammonia in the tank and the bacteria is working ... so then when the nitrite starts going down that means it is being turned in to nitrate yes?

so would this method work or should i get another test kit because my mum seems to think this would work but im not to sure?

Hi Katie! :hi

If you are cycling the tank with fish in it, you NEED an ammonia test kit!! Ammonia at high levels is deadly to fish, and need to be kept as close to zero as possible. This is done through water changes, and ammonia needs to be tested at LEAST once a day. If levels are high from one day to the next, you should test twice a day and do water changes accordingly.

If you wait for the nitrites to appear, you may very well lose your fish and exposing it to high ammonia levels could give your fish a very unhealthy life.

They aren't terribly expensive, and definitely worth the cost.

If you're doing a fishless cycle, you still need the test because you have to know how much ammonia is going in the tank, and then keep track of how much is in it. Once the nitrosomona bacteria begins turning the ammonia into nitrite, you'll need to add ammonia to the tank to feed them.

So yes - you should buy an ammonia test kit, and you might want to pick up a nitrate test as well - since you'll be needing that soon. :)

Good luck!!

Debbie

Guest katie.P

ok thanx

i have just told my mum all this and she has agreed to let me get one although she thinks their is one lieing around the house so i weill have to find them :)

taa xx

I think the tests have a shelf life...if it has been lying around for a while then it cud give u false results..so try getting a new one anyway...also a good test kit is the API solution kit where you have sample water in a test tube with the solution provided..gives good results..as far as I know tht is the recommended one out here..so chk it out..testing strips can be misleading...