Fantail Goldfish Behavior

Guest Dayna_02

Guest Dayna_02

Hi. I'm a fairly new at keeping goldfish but i have researched them intensly in hopes of being an informed fish owner. (I have a 30 gallon tank) I used to have two small fantail goldfish (i read they were schooling fish and do best in groups of two or more) but i recently suffered a death when i found one of them, pumpkin, had a fish lice. I removed it from her with a tweezer and called the pet shop i bought it from to ask for further insturction. They said she would be perfectly fine now that the parasite was removed and that that would be the only one. Not much later she passed and the pet store wouldn't answer any more of my calls. I buried her the next day and monitored my tank for any other signs of more fish lice and when i felt the "coast was clear" i purchased a new fish. She is a beautiful large oranda i named Rasberry Burette, who is perfect in each and everyway.

But now i'm worried about my previous fish, (Purple Rain). When pumpkin was alive he was very active and even showed signs of mating with her. But now he is still very active but when it gets close to his bedtime (10 o'clock) about an hour before he will hide in the plants or the small cave i made him. i'm worried about his inactivity. I have checked him over and have continually monitored the tank for fish lice and their little amber eggs and he is still clean.

My tank is still in cycle and is very close to reaching its third week. i Keep the Ammonia levels as low as i can by doing regular water changes of 30 - 40%. I have an 'intank' monitor and the liquid kind, not knowing what is better. I'm doing another water change tomorrow and i always dechloronate the water first. i feed them sinking fish pelets and slices of blanched cucumber. Rasberry hasn't developed a taste for them but Purple LOVES them and will eat out the soft middle every time. (i do deseed them as well as i can)

If you could give me any help as to if i'm doing a good job or if i'm missing something obvious for their health i would love the pointers. I really REALLY do not want to lose another one (its heartbreaking as many of you must know).

Thank you all so much,

Dayna

Hi Dayna! I was JUST about to log off for the night and I saw your post (well I say I was, but who knows. lol)

Welcome to koko's! I think you will be pleased with the information you can get here, and the people you will meet : )

Things look good at a first glance, but in order to tell for sure, we need you to answer a few more questions. I am going to copy the box of questions in here for you. Could you please copy & paste it and answer all of the questions as best you can? This will help us get a clearer picture of everything, and it will help us greatly in being able to help you (and your fish)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Thanks so much! Welcome to the board! : )

Guest Dayna_02

I'll try my best to answer them right now but i'll have to wait until tomorrow to do most of the testing. sorry!!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? my ammonia level is currently at a .02 using the mardel Live NH3 intank monitor.

Nitrite Level? (sorry i don't have a tester for this yet but i will)

Nitrate level? (same as above)

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? (same as above)

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? (same as above)

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) i have the mardel Live NH3 intank monitor for ammonia

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? my tank is a 30 gallon tank that has been running for 19 days (a little over two weeks)

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? my filter is aqueon power filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? well lately i have been noticing ammonia spikes so i did do 30% water changes everyday for three days and now i'm back to one 30% every other day because i know it is unhealthy to change the water so much but the ammonia is unhealthy too.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? one two inch fantail who does admittedly have a very common shaped body and one four inch oranda

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? i use the presicribed amounts of API Stress Coat and API Stress Zyme

[*]Any medications added to the tank? the above mentioned are the only outside chemicals introduced

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? I first introduced two fantail goldfish to start the ammonia and the first cycle and as mentioned above, one died, and yesterday i introduced the four inch oranda

[*]What do you feed your fish? I started off with TetraFin Goldfish Crisps but it bothered me how they floated at the surface and i read that goldfish can develop swimbladder problems from gulping air with their food. So i bought New Life Spectrum Goldfish Formula sinking pellets (3mm). Throughout all of this i have been feeding them blanched cucumber that i painstakingly de-seeded

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? As mentioned above on one fish i did find a fish lice that i removed from her and have been monitoring for more appearances of fish lice, or their amber colored eggs on the glass walls.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? i have recently noticed my very active fantail has been laying at the bottom in the plants starting from around 9 to i don't know what time in the morning. *worry!!*

thanks for all the help i'll try filling in more as soon as i can

An hour later and I am still logged on! I just finished doing laundry and couldn't help but click "view new posts" : )

So it sounds like you are planning on getting a testing kit tomorrow? That will be great to have on hand.. I use the API Master Test Kit. It's a drop test kit (the most accurate kind). I love it (working on my 3rd or 4th one right now lol)

This will be an important purchase. It sounds like ammonia may be starting to decrease, but nitrite could be increasing right now, which can also harm the fish. You will want to take a reading for that asap!! High nitrites (and/or ammonia) can be a cause of the bottom sitting behavior you are describing. There are other causes as well, but first we have to rule out water quality.. If you can get a test kit tomorrow like you said and post your results that would be excellent! :)

well lately i have been noticing ammonia spikes so i did do 30% water changes everyday for three days and now i'm back to one 30% every other day because i know it is unhealthy to change the water so much but the ammonia is unhealthy too.

Being told that it is unhealthy to change the water is something that is actually false, and unfortunately very common.. I was told that you never ever want to do large water changes, when in fact, when a tank is cycling (as yours is) it it actually essential! Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle of the tank? You sound like you are, but just in case I'll post a link for you to check out.. It's really helpful.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

As I was saying, large water changes are actual very helpful!!! The important thing is that you make sure the temperature is the same as to not stress out the fish. And make sure the water is treated with dechlorinator (like the API products you use. There are others as well. My favorite is prime because it requires only 2 drops per gallon and does almost everything you need). In an emergency often times the first thing that is recommended is a 100% full water change. Clean water can be one of the best things for your fish. I suggest saving a sample of the water for testing, and doing a large water change right now.. If your nitrites ARE high, this will help some. If not, it certainly won't hurt.. Most of us here do at least a 50% water change weekly, and then a 100% water change once a month.

You may also want to pick up some aquarium salt while you are grabbing the test kit tomorrow. Adding one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water (dissolved in tank water), can be used as a tonic in many cases. Such as when fish are sick, nitrites are high. Many things.

I think that's all for now. Post back with your results and someone can help you with the next steps! Good luck with everything! : )

Guest Dayna_02

Okay so i got a set of liquid test kits and my ammonia is at .50. My PH is at 7.6. My Nitrate is at 5.0 and my Nitrite is at .50. please tell me if this is okay. and if its going in the right direction. thank you for all your help!!

Dayna