Guest anatanokao

Guest anatanokao

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? Nothing

Nitrite Level? .1

Nitrate level? Don't have this test

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) Fresh Lab (only one at the pet store)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 gallons, er...3 months? fish in there for 6 weeks

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? AquaClear for a 70 gallon

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 25% weekly with gravel vac

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fantail, 3.5 inches including tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? NovAqua+

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Not yet

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? Nay

[*]What do you feed your fish? Hikari Baby Pellets in the morning, TetraFin Goldfish Flakes in the evening, bloodworms 1-2 a week

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? gold flecks O_O

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? acting normal, I haven't seen him flashing which has me wondering...

I was feeding my goldfish this evening and something caught my eye. So I got out the flashlight and there were some gold flecks on him. Velvet right? So I have malachite green on hand already. I am willing to go get CopperSafe if that would be better. But if I do treat with the malachite, how long do I do it for? I'm going to black out the exposed walls of the tank seeing how velvet has chloroplast in it. So where do I go from here? Thanks.

Hey! How are you?

This is NOT an area I am familiar with at all. I've never treated for velvet, and haven't read any recents threads about it.

However, I am wondering if you could hold off on the malachite green and coppersafe for a LITTLE while, until one of the board moderators has a chance to confirm the treatment.. I am so cautious now to put in any meds. Many times there are alternative methods to treat fish without using the harsh meds..

My main reason for thinking this is the case with Velvet as well, is that when quarentining fish, many people on this board use 0.3% salt, and praziquantel.. I've heard it said that between those two things, and one other medicine most parasites can be wiped out. This makes me wonder if velvet is one of them, and in that case I would hate to see you add the malachite, or coppersafe when a safer treatment is possible..

Someone SHOULD be on with more information soon. Hang tight, the moderators have been busy lately (one just left for a long vacation) but I can assure you that when they log on they will be able to help.. : )

Guest anatanokao
Hey! How are you?

This is NOT an area I am familiar with at all. I've never treated for velvet, and haven't read any recents threads about it.

However, I am wondering if you could hold off on the malachite green and coppersafe for a LITTLE while, until one of the board moderators has a chance to confirm the treatment.. I am so cautious now to put in any meds. Many times there are alternative methods to treat fish without using the harsh meds..

My main reason for thinking this is the case with Velvet as well, is that when quarentining fish, many people on this board use 0.3% salt, and praziquantel.. I've heard it said that between those two things, and one other medicine most parasites can be wiped out. This makes me wonder if velvet is one of them, and in that case I would hate to see you add the malachite, or coppersafe when a safer treatment is possible..

Someone SHOULD be on with more information soon. Hang tight, the moderators have been busy lately (one just left for a long vacation) but I can assure you that when they log on they will be able to help.. : )

Oh don't worry, I'm waiting for a reply to treat them, but pretty much everywhere I looked said to go for malachite green or coppersafe. Just not how much I need to do it. I'm not sure salt will solve this one... I've never ever ever dealt with velvet. In the meantime though I am blacking out my tank with black garbage bags. I can't find praziquantel around here : ( Well I did, but it's in the parasite food, which I have.

Edited by anatanokao

Coppersafe is the best treatment for velvet. It must be used in a stable pH however so be certain that you do not have pH dropping lower than it is now.

Its a rather unusual parasite and prazi/salt will not eliminate it.

Coppersafe is the best treatment for velvet. It must be used in a stable pH however so be certain that you do not have pH dropping lower than it is now.

And there it is: confirmation from miss Trinket herself : ) (And now I get to make a mental note about Velvet lol)

Hope your fish recovers! Good luck!

Guest anatanokao

Thanks. But it's too late to go out for medication tonight. Tomorrow though. My tank looks so silly right now with black plastic around it.

Guest anatanokao

And there it is: confirmation from miss Trinket herself : ) (And now I get to make a mental note about Velvet lol)

Hope your fish recovers! Good luck!

Yay. We learned something today. He isn't acting funny so I don't think he is bothered by it yet. Which is a good sign neh? He's been a pretty strong fish so far. :3

It'a a shame! I have an unopened bottle of coppersafe that I bought about a month ago. (I wanted to be prepared for as much as I could be and I went and got as much as I could from the Mardel line).

Yay. We learned something today. He isn't acting funny so I don't think he is bothered by it yet. Which is a good sign neh? He's been a pretty strong fish so far. :3

Glad he is acting good so far : ) Hopefully with the meds tomorrow things willl clear up in no time. Let us know how things turn out. : )

I found a couple of good sites that give some good advice on Velvet..Of course one from Koko's

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Velvet.html

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm

I hope your fish gets better...and soon...take care..and good luck..Keep us updated...we would love to hear how he is doing...

Keep in touch. Let us know how you and your fish are doing. I will be interested to hear how your treatment of velvet is going.

Guest anatanokao
It'a a shame! I have an unopened bottle of coppersafe that I bought about a month ago. (I wanted to be prepared for as much as I could be and I went and got as much as I could from the Mardel line).

Glad he is acting good so far : ) Hopefully with the meds tomorrow things willl clear up in no time. Let us know how things turn out. : )

I peeled back some of the plastic today and he came up right in front of me and was like "HEY!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!" wiggling and just happy to see me. So I think he is doing better and the medicine is working.