I Think My Fish Could Be Sick?

Guest k_dmom33

Guest k_dmom33

Hi Im new here. I found this site trying to google pictures of goldfish diseases. When I couldnt find what I was looking for I stumbled upon this place and here I am.

We have a goldfish pond outside and have had it for 2years now. Recently a racoon came and ate all but 1 of our fish. So we removed him and put him in a tank in the house. He wasnt thrilled about being there, but we wanted to save him and only plan on him staying there until we can figure out how to protect against the racoon. (my dog recently died and she was keeping the predators away).

Anyway, now for the reason Im here. We recently purchased 10 little goldfish to replenish our pond when we get it protected. So we put them in the tank in the house for now. We just got them a few days ago and I am noticing that one of them has an eyeball that is bulging. Only one eye tho. Another fish has a white line on the edge of his gill and a couple other have white lines along the edge of their fins. Does anyone happen to know what this could be? I removed my big older fish from the tank in case this is contagious. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in adavance.

Hi! How are you? Welcome to koko's!!! This site is wonderful and there are many helpful and smart people that should be able to help you out in no time..

You say you've had a pond for a few years now. DO you have a water testing kit? (A drop test kit is actually best if you have one of those). Right now we need a little bit more information from you. There is a box of questions at the top of the page in Disease & Diagnosis that we ask everyone to fill out when requesting help for their fish. I'll copy it in here for you. Could you please copy it and answer all of the questions as best you can?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Right now, since the fish are in the tank, we needas much information about the tank setup, water, size, filters, etc. Once we get that information we can help figure out where the problem lies! Thanks so much!

Guest k_dmom33

We do not have a test kit for our pond. I feel stupid, but we never thought about it. The fish all seemed healthy so we werent concerned about anything. I dont think some of these new fish are healthy...so I will answer the questions as best I can. Forgive me for being so fish dumb!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? Dont know

Nitrite Level?dont know

Nitrate level? dont know

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? dont know

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? we have well water so I dont know the PH level

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) I dont have a test kit

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? I have a 10 gallon tank and it has been running for 2 days

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? we are using Tetra 10-30 gallon

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? we just removed half of the water and refilled.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 10 fish that are maybe an inch long including tail fin

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? none

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? these are the new fish. Got them 2 days ago

[*]What do you feed your fish? Wardley essentials goldfish flakes (got it at nnnnnn...along with the fish)

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt", NO

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Not sure what fungus looks like, but there is a white cotton looking stuff along the edge of one fishes gill. and along a couple of the others fins. Also one fish has one eye buldging.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? 2 of the fish will lay on the bottom. We thought they were dying, but then they started swimming again.

Thanks for the help. I know I should have better prepared our tank. It is a temporary place for them as we will add them to our pond. I want to make sure they are healthy tho first. Also I guess I better get a test kit for the pond.

Edited by k_dmom33

We do not have a test kit for our pond. I feel stupid, but we never thought about it. The fish all seemed healthy so we werent concerned about anything. I dont think some of these new fish are healthy...so I will answer the questions as best I can. Forgive me for being so fish dumb!

First of all, no you are NOT dumb and there is nothing to apologize for!! I've been there, we all have.. Go back through and look at almost every member's first post on this board. We all came in with problems and we had NO idea what we were doing. You did the right thing by coming here for advice, you are certainly NOT dumb : )

Okay I've got a long list of things in my mind to touch on right now. So bear with me. It may seem a bit overwhelming, but it's not as bad as it seems.

Are you familiar with the cycle of a fish tank? (goes for ponds as well) I will post a link for you to read to get familiar with it in case you are not. (It's fine if you are not... I wasn't that familiar with it when I first got here).

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Reading this will help explain why the test kits are soo important. The first thing I suggest you do it pickup a test kit that measures for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. I use the API Master Test Kit. It's a drop test kit, and found to be very reliable. (Much more than strips). Fish produce ammonia, which is toxic to their health... In an uncycled tank, it builds up rather quickly, and the fish can easily get weak, sick and die. The ammount of fish adds to this unhealthy level of ammonia. Fortunatly something exists called the biological filter. Good Bacteria (called Beneficial Bacteria, or BB's) will feed off the ammonia, and convert it into nitrite, which is also toxic. Another set of BB's will grow which will convert the nitrite into nitrATE, which is far less toxic.. It can take 1-2 months for this cycle to become fully established, and in the meantime the ammonia and nitrite levels can be far too high for a fish to handle. Although you bought your fish for the pond, right now they are essentially being kept in a uncycled tank which is far too overcrowed.

The general rule is that fancy goldfish require 10 gallons of space each. And single tails common or comets require 20 gallons of space each.. While the tank you are keeping them in may be temporary, it is still not large enough to house all these fish temporarily.

There are a few options. 1) return the fish... Right now you will need that tank for your fish that you are trying to save from the pond. Keeping him alone in that tank you should be able to keep the water conditions right for him until the pond is set up. Then once that is sorted out, you can use that tank to quarentine new fish to add to the pond, one at a time. (I'll explain the need for quarentine in a minute). I personally think this is your best option.. Especially considering many of the fish appear to be sick.

2) Get LARGE rubbermaid tubs... Getting one big enough for all of the fish may be hard, so you could try a few of them. This will increase the volume of water, therefore dilluting the amount of harmful ammonia and nitrite in the water. If you chose this you will still be needing to do large water changes each day.

Let me post this, so you can start thinking about what you would like to do, then I can continue with my long ramble : )

Now on to quarentining.. Again, something I did NOT know about : )

When you add a new fish to a tank or pond you run the risk of passing any disease that the new fish may have onto the fish you already have.. Recently (right when I found this board) I had an overstocked tank (6 fancies in a 29 gallon) and I was introducing new fish into the tank without keeping them seperate first. I added ONE fish that was sick, and lost them all. It was very sad, but it's what led me to this board, and helped me learn how to take care of my fish the correct way. What most people on this board do is quarentine all new fish for a minimum of 2 weeks and watch them for disease. There are various ways we all do this, but the important thing is keeping them seperate from the old fish until you have watched them for a few weeks and made sure they are healthy. If you added 10 new fish to a tank with your one old one, it's quite possible that something has been passed along to him. I assume you are more attached to that one because you've had him longer?

Right now that fish needs to be alone in the 10 gallon tank.. Because it is most likely uncycled, you will need to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low. Right now I am quarentining two new fish in a tank thats cycle has stalled a bit.. I am doing 75% water changes every day (at least) to keep the ammonia levels low enough.. If you were to try to keep ALL of those fish that you have now in the 10 gallon, it simply won't be possible to keep the levels safe. Even doing 75% water changes daily, my levels rise to 1ppm each day. With 11 fish in the tank, it will be outrageous. This is why I suggested returning the new fish. Keeping your old fish in the tank will be managable, with far less work than trying to do water changes on a bunch of rubbermaids LOL

I hope all of this information isn't scaring you. It isn't intended to, although I know it might sound a bit overwhelming. : )

I am trying to pass along the things I have learned in order to help you save your pond fish.. Save a sample of the water your fish are in right now to have tested once you've purchased the test kit (asap!).. Then post back with your results and let us know what you plan on doing with the new fish, and we can go from there. There's more things I can get into, but I think I've given you plenty to look over for now. (I don't want to totally scare you into never wanting to come back here! hahah)

I'll check in from time to time today and see if you've written back. Once again, welcome to koko's! We really are glad to have you here!

Guest k_dmom33

Thanks Sue for helping me out with this! We have separated the fish out of the tank. I think we will empty our tank and cycle it like you posted. Also I put the unhealthy ones together in a bowl and the others are together in a bucket. My gosh, these poor little guys. Im thinking about returning the fish for now. We are getting a netting today for our pond to keep the racoon out and we put the big guy back in there for now. Then I will get a test kit and check it all out before we introduce any new fish.

do you recommend keeping new fish in a tank before introducing them to the pond to make sure there are not any diseases brought home from the store? If so then I will set up the tank the correct way and introduce 1 fish at a time.

NEVER MIND....YOU POSTED BEFORE I FINISHED THIS!!!

Edited by k_dmom33

Im thinking about returning the fish for now. We are getting a netting today for our pond to keep the racoon out and we put the big guy back in there for now. Then I will get a test kit and check it all out before we introduce any new fish.

Great plan!! It's the smartest thing you can do right now : ) Once you get your test kit, take readings of the pond and post them up. Just so we can see if everything is okay in there. If the readings in there are good, then the pond will probably be the best place for him right now.

One word of caution. The fish you put BACK in the pond may have already caught something from the other fish. You will need to keep a close eye on him.. If you see any odd behavior, spots, ANYTHING out of the ordinary, you may still need to treat him. Just keep us informed as to what is going on and someone here will help you as best they can!

Thanks Sue for helping me out with this!
It's my pleasure! Thank YOU for listening so well, and really taking in the information. Not all people do : )