Swim Bladder - Cure?

Guest Drew

Hi,

I've had a black lionhead for about 18 months and a good few months ago i had to go away and as a result of this my aquarium water went bad and my lionhead fell ill. Fin rot had set in and he was lying on the bottom of the tank. Now approx 3 months later the water has all been sorted out but the poor fella still seems to have been beaten by a problem with his swimbladder so he is constantly unable to shift himnself off the bottom. It looks like he has eaten far too many pebbles!!!

To be honest I'm suprised he's still living.

Due to the nature of the fish his head has grown around his eyes so he has really bad vision so I have to resort to hand feeding him on a daily basis to keep him from starving.

My question is around peas. I've heard that feeging cooked, shelled peas can help sort swimbladder out however he won't eat them. Is there therefore another food that could help or is the fact he has had this for so long he is un-cureable?

What is the best thing to do if he is uncureable? euthanasia?

Please no questions on water quality! The water has been tested locally.

If your fish is still feeding there is no reason to euthanize him. I would remove the gravel if he is always sitting on it because this could lead to secondary infections. Sometimes a more shallow tank helps with the condition. I would also used epsom salt about one table spoon per gallon mixed prior to adding it into the tank. There is a great medicaided food from goldfish connection.com called jump start and metro meds that I feed concurrently to ill fish. I have really great results with it but only feed to sick fish--good luck

Hi Spidey,

Since, posting this i've finally managed to get him to eat a pea!!! So I'll keep on with that. If no better in a week i'll see if I can get some jump start like you suggested.

Re the euthanasia, i figured not. Would be a shame after he's be fighting all this time.

Cheers for the suggestion.

Don't suppose how many peas I should feed per day do you?

Hi Drew,

Ok..No questions on water tests.. :) .. But it would be a good thing if you could please mention how big is the tanka nd what kind of filtration are you using...This is just good to know..everyone would be able to help you better with that..

it is a great thing that your lionhead is surviving..and yeah you are right after fighting for all this time, try your best to keep him alive...and you are doing good...while dealing with swim bladder..it would be best to follow instructions on the following link

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Swim%20Bladder%20Disorder.html

I would really fast the fish for 2-3 days..and then feed just one boiled shelled pea twice a day...Also a saltbath helps in swim bladder disease...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

I really hope he does well...and perks up soon...take care..

hi Drew ..I had a ranchu that scooted along the bottom due to swimbladder ..she was a normal fish ..she just couldn't swim ...I would go barebottom as suggested as gravel contains all sorts of nasties as for the epsom salts I think 1 table spoon per gallon is to much (to much epsom salts can cause enemia)and should only be used when needed ,metromeds also needs to be fed only to sick fish as spider man said ...it will not help swimbladder can you fill in the questions that are in the white above to give us a bigger picture of what can be happening .. :)

Edited by hi-d

Cheers guys for the posts!

It's a Juwel Record 60 litre tank, with a jewel compact filter. Just him in the tank and it and currently has no ornaments. I will remove stones tomorrow when I do the weekly water change (approx 20%)

I have already been adding salt for the last month or so at a rate of approx 3 teaspoon per gallon.

The water levels are good, the reading was bad when the damage was done but they are good - i'll do a test tomorrow and post the results.

I feed him Nutrafina and King British goldfish flakes.

Tank had been running for about 1 month previous to adding the fish as I ran through an ammonia cyle to create the 'right' enviroment!

Thanks again everyone for the advice

Drew---try to stay away from flake food they have a tendency to expand inside the fish thus leading to constipation. Get your self a good sinking pellet. As far as the peas, just a couple a day will do. Just a couple of pellets too. You may want to try the epsom salt as this works differently then the rock salt. It can really aide wtih constipation

Hi Drew,

I have a beautiful lionhead who hasn't been able to swim for about a year now due to this condition, so even if you can't cure it, they can live with it :)

I have a couple of questions. When you say you've been adding salt, do you mean consistently or maintaining the level at .3%?

Also, it would be really good to know your nitrate level. A few members have found that at certain levels, their fish flip/sink, but once they go down the fish recover. Nitrates can build up really easily and be hard to get down, but if yours are at all high, it may be worth a try to put some nitrazorb in the filter or just do water changes to bring them down.