Biorbs And Other Smaller Tanks

Guest Musicmadmk

Guest Musicmadmk

Hi

Need to find some new housing for my poor goldfish who has outgrown his bowl. I am thinking of getting a proper tank for him and any future fish as soon as possible. Now the pet shop where I can go to easily doesn't really sell huge tanks, besides I don't have the space for a massive tank, but they do seem to know a lot, they stock plenty of different kinds of fish etc. and the assistants seem knowledgeable. I liked the look of the Biorb tanks when I was there last, they look like globes, and they have other tanks that are the usual shape. The Biorb comes with all the stuff to set it up etc. but I need to look at the space, I only have room for a Baby Biorb. and then I will have to decide where to site it as it won't go where my current fish bowl is.

Does anyone else have a Biorb or a small tank? If I get a small tank it will only be about 15 litres....I can't do the 20 gallons per fish thing - that would mean digging a pond indoors!

Michelle

My reply would be exactly the same as the one in your sick fish tank :) . Please consider your decision carefully before buying them BiOrbs. Ok for small tropicals, very inadequate for any kinds of goldfish, plus they're putting style over substance and that costs you more pounds than you need to spend.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...st&p=791869

I have to agree that it is really important that you try to find a way to get a real tank.. 20 gallons is really neccessary, but even a 10 gallon would be managable with extra water changes for now.. They sell them soooo cheap.. I've found 10 gallon tanks with light for about $20 at the chain stores.. And you can fit them just about anywhere.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the amount of water REALLY does effect the fish. I've been there. I've had goldfish in a bowl originally, and thought I was doing a good thing by "upgrading" to a tank about the size of the bio-orb.. They did not last. They did not grow, they were getting sick. I was going through fish like crazy... Yes, the 10 gallon rule sounds like much.. And 20 for single tailed. But it really is essential.. We can tell you care about your fish. Otherwise you wouldn't be on here trying to get him better.. If you want him to live long and live a healthy happy life, you really must find a way to get him a proper tank. You'll be amazed at how differently they behave when kept properly and given the space they need. It's worth it..

I agree with Sue. I tried to keep 2 goldfish in 10 gallons, and they did alright for a couple years, but I honestly think they would have benefited so much from more water space. Fish in general just do well with a extra breathing room yo move about and grow into. BiOrbs won't do the job for goldfish. 10 gallon tanks aren't terribly expensive, or terribly big.

Edited by Petperson04