Guest Musicmadmk

Guest Musicmadmk

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? don't know

Nitrite Level? don't know

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? don't know

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?tap water used, but don't know

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? it holds just under 1 gallon

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? interpet gold fish bowl filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? about once every 2 weeks but been vey lax lately...about once a month and about 4 1/2 to five pints get taken out

Hello

Sorry I couldn't fill in the form very well, but I've tried to give as much information as possible. Garfunkel seems to be very sick, I think he is dying, he just stays at the top of the bowl (which is a very large one.) The trouble is, I blame myself for not looking after him properly, I have kept him in very poor water conditions due to fact that I have been rather ill myself and too tired to do much around the house, now I see him suffering as a result. He hangs upside down like he has lost his balance completely and is struggling to eat and swim around. Also his tail has become bent, which worries me a great deal.

Hope somebody can help me with my poor little fish.

Michelle

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 about 10 cm

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? interpet gold tap safe

[*]Any medications added to the tank? pets at home fish tonic

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?no

[*]What do you feed your fish? aquarian goldfish flakes

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?yes, tail is bent, hangs upside down for long periods, has trouble getting to food and swimming, unbalanced

Hi Michelle, I am really sorry to hear your fish is sick but the answer is right there in your post. He has way outgrown his home! Each goldfish needs 10 gallons water space for good health and any less -trouble is on its way like a toxic tidal wave. It really is extremely important to get your fish out of this toxic soup ASAP. A bowl is never a safe place for a fish and changing water every 2 weeks ...well, I am surprised he has lived as long as he has to be honest.

What you can do now and immediately is a 100% temperature matched water change for him. This will provide instant relief. But only temporarily. Then, take alook around and see if there is aplastic container -clean- like a storage box into which you could rehouse him with his filter until you can manage a tank.

There are some links in my sig that will help you set up a home for him that will be his best chance of recovery. Unfortunately it is not advisable to medicate fish in his condition in this situation. One of the sayings around here is "look after the water and the water looks after the fish". Your fish is tough, he has survived till now and he can recover, but only if you give him ammonia and nitrite free water which is only possible in a larger space and with more frequent larger water changes.

I would also like to add that fancy goldfish with tails like this: Goldfishtails.jpg

need 10 gallons each. Single-tailed fish are better kept in 20 gallons.

As Trinket said, the best option right now is to get him into a larger container, and this may help his symptoms go mostly away. Then you can think about medicating from there.

I hope that we can save Garfunkel! :) (Cute name, by the way.)

Edited by Petperson04

Guest Musicmadmk

Trouble is, I don't have the room for a larger tank in my tiny flat....so I think maybe the best thing to do would be to either find someone who has got a larger tank for him...or else see if anyone maybe has a pond that he could live out the rest of his days in.....he sure looks unhappy. He's not in foul water though; I did clean him out!

Michelle

Its not dirty water really that makes fish sick, its ammonia and nitrites which you cannot see or smell. These make the fish flipover, gasp, and seem to lug their way through the water. I suspect there's one of these at high levels in his water simply because they build up sooo fast in smaller spaces that's all. It would be a terrible shame if you had to get rid of him, are you sure there isn't a tub of some sort you could use for him thats bigger at least than the bowl?

Guest Musicmadmk

Ah right, well to absolutely honest with you, the tap water around here's not very nice at all, I have to filter it before I can drink it and it furs up kettles really badly. I do use something called Tap Safe made by Interpet, it's in their goldfish range. There is also a filter with airstone and a pump attached, most fish I have had in the past have been okay with this set up - they usually live about 7 - 8 years and then they die because they outgrow the bowl, which by the way is quite a big bowl. It doesn't even hold one gallon of water though, I know that and there's no room for a huge tank in my living room, which would be ideal for fish to live happily in.

But is there a larger container I can transfer him into?? I am wondering what I can buy for him in the meantime.....the ideal would be to buy a bigger fish tank because then I would have a tank for future fish as well. I am wondering about this now.

Michelle

It's a wonderful hobby :D

And well looked after tanks look so beautiful too. It could be the show peice of your room!!

Guest Musicmadmk

It's going to be impossible for me to get a 20 gallon fish tank though, the biggest I can get holds about 3 gallons..still much bigger than the little bowl though!

Michelle

Michelle, sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you can't fit at least a 10 gallon (40-litre) tank into your house, then don't bother keeping a goldfish.

We as owners are responsible to give our pets a reasonable environment to live in. A goldfish, if cared well, easily reach 15-20 cm long in a very short time. The 12 litres of water volume (which is the largest tank you can fit in your house) will not provide even the absolute minimum amount of space for a mature goldfish.

If you would take my suggestion, please find Garfunkel a new home ASAP.

If you still want to keep fish, then please consider keeping a Betta Splendens (Siamese Fighting Fish) instead. One will fit nicely into the 3 gallon tank and it requires less maintenance then goldfish.

Guest Musicmadmk

Thanks for the advice - I shall ask at the pet shop tomorrow and see what they say. And find a new home for my fish.

I don't know if the shop sells these Betta fish, I can take a look and ask about different kinds of fish anyway at the shop.

And by the way, I have been doing some searching on the net and I may be able to get a bigger tank.

Michelle

Michelle, sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you can't fit at least a 10 gallon (40-litre) tank into your house, then don't bother keeping a goldfish.

We as owners are responsible to give our pets a reasonable environment to live in. A goldfish, if cared well, easily reach 15-20 cm long in a very short time. The 12 litres of water volume (which is the largest tank you can fit in your house) will not provide even the absolute minimum amount of space for a mature goldfish.

If you would take my suggestion, please find Garfunkel a new home ASAP.

If you still want to keep fish, then please consider keeping a Betta Splendens (Siamese Fighting Fish) instead. One will fit nicely into the 3 gallon tank and it requires less maintenance then goldfish.

My thoughts.. :exactly ...a goldfish can never survive in a bowl...not even a very experienced person can keep it alive beyond a certain time...the water parameters get messed so soon in a bowl..and changing the water frequently stresses out the fish..Not to forget I really don't know where the cycle process in a bowl...I did this foolishness with a 3 gallon bowl a few years back...my fish died in a year's time...considering what it went through..today I am surprised how did it survive for a year..and I really wish I had done my research then..

If I were you I would really find him a new home...many pet stores take goldfish too...I hope you find him a bigger better home..take care...

Thanks for the advice - I shall ask at the pet shop tomorrow and see what they say. And find a new home for my fish.

I don't know if the shop sells these Betta fish, I can take a look and ask about different kinds of fish anyway at the shop.

And by the way, I have been doing some searching on the net and I may be able to get a bigger tank.

Michelle

I really would not suggest you getting any new fish until you have researched enough...read a lot of info(google search betta care..tons of info) on how to take care of a betta...Betta needs a cheap filter and a heater too...I could still do away with a filter in a small bowl like yours...but maintaining a constant good temperatures for bettas is a must...around 80 degrees F...have you checked out nnnnnn..nnnnnn sells a cheap complete 4-5 gallon kit..which is ideal for bettas..its not too heavy and can be placed even on a small end table...it comes witha filter and heater, so you don't have to worry buying more things for the tank...I would highly encourage you to check it out...and research a lot on bettas..

And the bigger tank for your goldie if you find one and think can get it...would be awesome...I can assure you one thing, you will be soo soo happy and proud to see your goldie in a bigger tank and watch him swim and grow..they are much more active and personally a lot more interactive too...they are gr8 pets...and if housed properly can live a long life..take care...

If you do give your goldfish away to another home or back to the petstore and still want to keep a fish, get one

of the small 4-7 gallon complete kits like SunshineGurl mentioned and you can keep a betta in it. They do

well in small tanks like that (but not bowls).

I would suggest something like this: AAG17930.jpg

And a betta is this kind of fish: Betta_Fish.jpg

betta4.jpg

Edited by Petperson04

Great minds think alike! ;)

And just one more thing, Musicmad, I would definetly get your goldfish's situation sorted out before getting a betta. Good luck, and keep asking questions! :thumb:

Edited by Petperson04

Guest Musicmadmk

Hi

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I definateley want to get my Garfunkel sorted before I even think about getting a new tank and fish. And I think a bowl is rather cruel anyway, I've always wanted a larger fish tank, but not so big that I can't cope with it. I also need to find out more about bettas before getting one as well...although I have seen pictures and they look rather stunning! Too nice to keep in a tiny bowl - I'd want to show one of those off in a bigger tank, I think.

By the way, I'm in the UK, so can't go to nnnnnn, so I have to try local pet shops.

Michelle

Guest Musicmadmk
Hi

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I definateley want to get my Garfunkel sorted before I even think about getting a new tank and fish. And I think a bowl is rather cruel anyway, I've always wanted a larger fish tank, but not so big that I can't cope with it. I also need to find out more about bettas before getting one as well...although I have seen pictures and they look rather stunning! Too nice to keep in a tiny bowl - I'd want to show one of those off in a bigger tank, I think.

By the way, I'm in the UK, so can't go to nnnnnn, so I have to try local pet shops.

Michelle

nnnnnnn? Of course you can't post actual shop names here, no adverts allowed probably. I meant W*1mart.

Edited by Musicmadmk

I've always wanted a larger fish tank, but not so big that I can't cope with it.

Contrary to what most people think, the bigger the tank, the easier the maintenance will be. We fish-carers are essentially water-carers. If we take care of the water, then the fish will take care of itself no problem whatsoever. So in a bigger tank, toxin build-up have less impact meaning you can afford more margin for error and bigger buffer in case something doesn't go to plan.

So regarding what tank to buy, the best course of action is always to get the biggest tank you physically & financially able to get. You wont regret it ;)

Edited by d_golem

I find that 10 or 20 gallon tanks are pretty manageable, especially the 10. I would definetly go for the 20 if you think you could handle it, becuase 10 is only just big enough for one goldie. This all being said though, any larger tank is better than a bowl. :)

Edited by Petperson04

Guest Musicmadmk

Thanks for the advice - and eventually I will get the biggest tank I possibly can manage - and make it a real showpiece as well!