New Tank And Odd Behaviour.

Guest seagods

Guest seagods

I did post a few weeks ago, but the post got moved to... don't know where.

To start off, our little friend has been with us for five years and plus. So our water and water

changes can't be that bad. However, it had outgrown its tank. It seemed quite happy, and constantly

was busy examining one plant or another.

The tank change (to 20 gallon and from plastic to glass) was obviously quite a stressful event.

This is when I first posted. At first it frantically swam "lengths", then bottom sat in one corner and didn't eat.

However, after a few days, it did start to eat, and explore the new tank a bit. I thought all was well.

However, its behaviour is still very odd. It tends to stick to one corner of the tank (quite low but not bottom sitting). It used to recognise (from time of day and when someone approached the tank) that food was going to arrive and get excited. Now seems totally indifferent to feeding time (and cleaning time) though it does eat.

It just idles nearly 24/7 at one end of the tank. Apart from that, it seems quite healthy. It is well over a month from the tank change, so it must (?) have gotten used to the new environment.

Now goldfish vision is quite complicated. They see near infrared and ultraviolet as separate colours from our

red green and and blue (which they see as well). Also, they can detect information about light polarisation. The

change from a plastic to a glass tank may have made a difference. Glass and plastic have very different refractive properties. With the plastic tank, it used to bump its nose when having a sprint. When it started doing

fast "lengths" of the new tank, it immediately saw the tank walls and slowed down very quickly. It no longer seems to notice any movement outside the tank.

So my original thoughts were, is it now blind to the outside of "tank world"?

Is it freaking at multiple reflections of itself that were not there in the plastic tank?

As I said, we have looked after the water and cleaning for five years before the change, and water-wise things have improved rather than anything else. I am at a loss as far as knowing why the little beast has changed so much.

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

The refractive properties of glass do not keep goldfish from seeing outside of the tank. My goldfish see me every time I pass them by, as they get excited and put their little begging faces at the front of the tank looking for food!

Moving to a new home can be a little stressful for fish, but shouldn't be so stressful that they haven't recovered in a month. Something else seems to be going on here. There is a box at the top of the page with a bunch of questions. If you could answer as many as you can, it would be easier for us to tell whats going on with your fish. This seems to be more of an internal issue in the water or tank than a reflection issue that is bothering the fish.

Post back with the above info as soon as you can!

What are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, ph, nitrate. Did you change to a larger filter, perhaps there is too much current. Did you add brighter lights, Is the tank in another location where there is more or less traffic, Did you add any different ornaments such as drift wood, shells etc. I would say that if your water is fine and the fish is eating, just give him more time, may be he is just not feeling very confidant in his new home

The box that vickielm mentions can actually be found in the Diagnosis & Discussion subforum, which is were this post will probably be moved to by a moderator (which is a really good thing, because it will get more attention that way). I've however pasted the box questions below. Please try to answer as much as possible, because it will enable the more experienced members to make a more accurate diagnosis and better suggest thing that might help.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Oh gosh Erinaceus, I didn't look! :whatjust:

We've all been in D&D so much lately that I just assumed (incorrectly) thats where this was posted.

My apologies seagods, and thanks Erinaceus for the catch. Doh.