Sign in to follow this  
misty_blue16137

Question About Feeding Frozen Bloodworms To Fry

At what age can fry be given frozen bloodworms?

I bought some but then wasn't sure if they are old enough to have them.

It partly depends on how fast your fry are developing and growing. By two months of age most fry should be able to handle the worms. Some may still be small enough they have problems, esp if they are trying to get a bite from the middle and not one of the ends. Some fry may be large enough a couple of weeks earlier, but generally fry don't need foods to develop color untill 2 months old. Bloodworms are a good color enhancing and developing food. The baby brine shrimp and daphnia are easier taken when smaller and provide just as good if not better protein source for younger fry.

Ok, thanks Liz! I've never had fry before so wasn't sure. My oldest will be 3 weeks old this wednesday. The others are a week younger.

I would keep them on the baby brine shrimp a bit longer. Frozen daphnia is a good "second" food. If you want to start them on bloodworms earlier than they are capable of eating (and do be careful of a tiny fish getting a big worm stuck...!!).... Hikari sells freeze dried bloodworms in a can. These can be smushed up tiny - into a kind of big powder. Wet that powder in a bowl before pouring into the tank and it will sink slowly - and the fry can get bloodworms.

Even with my Lionhead/Ranchu fry, I feed baby brine shrimp then daphnia, then frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp combination to build wens and bodies. My big fish will eat a whole cube of frozen blood worms in one bite - then they swim around and burp out worms.... It is funny!

I was searching the web to see if my two week old guppy fry were okay to eat bloodworms because they're in a community tank and i do feed frozen every couple days or so. I accidentally bought whole frozen bloodworms and noticed my adult guppies were having some problems eating them anyway. I thought this could be useful for someone out there. I took a small rubbermaid container like one of the tiny condiment tubs, thawed out a cube in tank water, and cut through them with scissors a few times in random spots. It seems simple I know but I just thought of it. I have platies in my tank also so they can eat the bigger ones that I miss, the adult guppies get to have some without having to just pick out the smallest ones, the two week old fry and neocaridina (they'll take off with a whole worm) are getting the tiny little bits that get cut way short, and the platies get to vacuum up the rest. Everybody wins!