Hello :)

Guest katie.P

Guest katie.P

hiya im katie

I am 13 and am getting some goldfish (hopefully fantails if they are ok for beginners).

I live in Nottingham/england.

i also have a family cat, my mum/dad have some tropical fish, my sister has a hampster and i have 3 Giant African Land Snails (Irony, Humbug and sprout)

Looking forward sooo much to getting some goldfish :D

katie xx

hi kate and welcome to kokos, if your just starting off on goldies i sugest you go for a common or comet fish these guys are harder than fancys. only down side is they need more room 15gallon per fish, fancys only need 10gallon per fish.

i don't won't to scare you off the hobby thou, goldies can be great fun but remember room and clean water is everything for a gold fish and it can get costly.

have you already got a tank set up?

the more info you give the better start you and your fish can have.

plus i'm a Brit to lol

Hi Katie!! Welcome to koko's!!!

So you are gonna be getting some goldies huh?? That's terrific! They are such entertaining pets. I think you are going to be really happy with them!

i don't won't to scare you off the hobby thou, goldies can be great fun but remember room and clean water is everything for a gold fish and it can get costly.

have you already got a tank set up?

the more info you give the better start you and your fish can have.

Wizz is right. A lot of people (including myself) started out keeping too many goldies in too small of a space.. Most people don't realize that they need the space they do.. If you haven't gotten the fish or tank yet, there are a bunch of people on here that would be more than happy to help fill you in on the basics, which will make keeping your fish SOO much easier : ) At first it seems like a lot of work, but it basically comes down to making sure you get a large enough home for them, testing the water, and doing water changes..

I would like to give you a couple links that are really helpful to read. I think it will help you get an idea of what goldies need, and how to take care of them. Like Wizz said, I certainly do NOT want to scare you off the hobby. Quite the opposite!!! I am excited to see someone else get interested, and just want to help you to do everything right so that you don't run into problems (the way I and so many other members did! haha)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Can't wait to hear how everything turns out, what size tank you get, how many fish. All that good stuff!!! Welcome to the site, it's great to have you here! : )

Guest katie.P

thanx for the info :)

im prepared to change the water and stuff cuz i can do it on the same day that i clean out my snails which is every week so will this be enough to keep the water clean?

i could get some comets, it just depends on what they have at all the aquatic centres :)

I have a tank, just need to put stuff in it and then wait for it to mature.

Will gravel, fake and real plants and then some bogwood be ok? im trying to go for a rather green look :D lol

would it ok to just get 1 goldfish on its own or would it get lonely as im worried about my tank getting over crowdered, its a 18"x10"x10" is that big enough for 1 or 2?

thanx xx

Edited by katie.P

Well I just typed your tank measurements into a tank volume calculator. It came up as a 8 gallon tank.. There's a good chance you have a regular 10 gallon. Either way, I think you would be best getting ONE fish..I have one small fancy kept alone and she does just fine without a tank mate. You could try doing the same, keeping one small fancy. Right now the tank you have will be a good size to get started. You could later try to get a larger tank (so that you could have more fish). You could also do as Wizz said and start with a common or comet, but if you do that you MUST make sure that somewhere down the road (as the fish grows) you will be able to get a larger tank. They do best with 20 gallons each.

That's wonderful that you are ready & prepared for the water changes! : ) It's really not even as bad as it seems!! In the beginning, you will be doing LOTS of water changes. Probably at least one a day.. The links I gave you why you must do them so often in the beginning.. It's part of the cycling process. It might seem complicated at first but it's not so bad. Check out those links. If you still have questions feel free to ask. I would love to help!! Once your tank is cycled, you should be able to get by with a 50% water change once a week, then one monthly 100% water change..

Take a look and then get back to me with any questions! I am still fairly new myself, but I will do the best I can to help. There are many many great members that know MUCH more than I do, that can help you with any and all of your questions : )

Guest katie.P

so that settles my brain questions then, i will get 1 small young goldie and then when it grows to big i WILL get a bigger tank no matter what my mum says lol.

thanks for that by the way cuz i was trying to find a measurer thingy but it kept coming up with rubbish stuff lol

whats the smallest type of goldfish you can get? mind you, i could always get a young one, then go on as it grows lol

lets just wait till i have the tank all ready for a goldie before discuusing what type i should get ay lol :D

how long do you have to wait? is it a month?

This is where it get a little bit complicated and the link I have you about the cycling will help explain this better than I can. You might want to have your mom help you out, and read along. It gets a little bit confusing, and having an extra person helping you to get things right might be really useful.

Basically fish (all kinds) produce something called ammonia. It comes from their poop, their gills, and it's BAD for them.. They sell test kits that measure the amount of ammonia in the water. The best kind are drop test kits, such as the API Master Test Kit. Hopefully you can talk your mom into getting one of those. They are REALLY important.. The good news is, that tanks have a way of managing the ammonia themselves. Beneficial Bacteria (BB's) grow, that convert the deadly ammonia into something else called nitrite. Nitrite is also deadly, but a second set of BB's grow that convert nitrite into nitRATE.. Nitrate is far less toxic. This is the cycle of the tank. One your tank is showing ZERO ammonia and ZERO Nitrites, and the NitrATE levels start to climb, then your tank is cycled and safe for fish. (With weekly water changes).

In order for the cycle to start there must be ammonia in the water. Adding a fish gives you that ammonia, but it is also very hard on a fish to put in it a tank that is not yet cycled. This is why you must do DAILY water changes, to keep the ammonia and nitrite at a low enough level to not hurt the fish. A lot of people have tried doing something different, called a FISHLESS cycle. The links I gave you explain this, and explain more of the details of cycling in general. Again, it seems a bit confusing, but it's really not so bad.

All in all, this process can take around 4-8 weeks. In warmer temperatures it happens quickly. About 30 days. In colder temperatures it can take longer... The tests will show you when it is done.

There should be PLENTY of small fish to chose from at one of your local stores.. And they aren't very expensive at all..

Hopefully the things I am saying are making sense.. I remember when I first joined this board I was very confused by some of the things I was told.. Like I said earlier, feel free to keep on asking questions! : ) I don't mind At ALL! :)

Guest katie.P

that was bad move telling me to keep asking questions lol

as people on other forums know, i will ask and ask and ask and ask and ask untill i have all the answers i want and then i will find something else to ask about lol :D

what if i started with the fishless cycle and then when it gets like halfway through it move on to the other one? would that work because i would like to get a fish before going back to school but dont want to kill it by doing something wrong ?

mum now has a look of triumf on her face, she kept telling me that she would be able to tell me the answers but i said id rather ask on here lol

okidoki then, im starting to daydream about what my tank will look like lol

mum says that ti get the bb growing you can either buy some special stuff that she says doesnt work or put 1 flake of food in the tank and the bb will grow on that.

read through most of kokos website, VERY helpfull info on their :)

that was bad move telling me to keep asking questions lol

as people on other forums know, i will ask and ask and ask and ask and ask untill i have all the answers i want and then i will find something else to ask about lol

No problem! I do the SAME thing (just take a look around this board! I ask question after question and talk and talk and talk then talk some more!)

mum now has a look of triumf on her face, she kept telling me that she would be able to tell me the answers but i said id rather ask on here lol
mum says that ti get the bb growing you can either buy some special stuff that she says doesnt work or put 1 flake of food in the tank and the bb will grow on that.

Sounds like your mum knows a lot and will be a GREAT help to you : ) She is right there IS stuff you can buy. Some people find it works, some people find it's useless. I am about to run a little test to see if any of those products are good.

Your mum is right. You can put a flake of food in the tank. A lot of people use that method. Another (which I like) is using clear ammonia. It must be pure ammonia (clear, no additives, fragrances, etc, and it should NOT bubble when you shake the bottle). You can add enough of it to make your ammonia reading say 5 ppm of ammonia. Then you can wait for a while.. Once the ammonia starts to go down you want to add enough to make your ammonia approximately 2ppm each day.. Once the ammonia goes to zero each day, the nitrites are zero, and the nitrates are HIGH, your cycle is complete!! You can do a very large water change (to get your nitrates below 20) and your tank is DONE, and ready for a fish. This method does require some patience, but it's SOOO much better for the fish.. And so much easier on you! (Trust me, I've been doing daily water changes on a few uncycled tanks. It gets old FAST, but you can't skip a day because it could hurt the fish)

I think this sounds like a good project to do with your mum. It will be fun! She sounds like she knows a lot and really wants to help. It might be something nice to do with her, spend a little extra time you know??? Me & my daughter (she's a lot younger than you, she's only 8) do things with the tanks together all the time.

iv just read something that has changed my mind, im going to fo a fishless cycle :)

PERFECT!!! I was already busy writing my response and didn't see you had posted this!!! I think this will be a GREAT idea. It will give you plenty of time to research, and get things prepared.. Your mum must be really proud of you. You seem like a very kind, smart young girl! Most kids wouldn't bother reading up BEFORE getting a fish, or asking how to do things right. And most would not be so patient as do to a fishless cycle!! You are going to be a great addition to this board : ) Again, welcome! : )

Guest katie.P

i can put water from the downstairs tank into my tank to up the ammonia, yes? is that correct?

Oh im going to enjoy time with my mum :S lol

So the cycle is this, i put all the stuff i buy into the tank, get the filter running and then add water, i then put a flake in the water to get the bb growing everyday

then when do i do the ammonia bit?

Guest katie.P

ooh sorry i didnt see your last responce, and thankyou :D

I read things up because i have had enough bad encounters of rushing into thing with my land snails lol

Well you can do the ammonia INSTEAD of the flake. It does the same thing. The reason some people use the ammonia instead of the flake is because leaving the flake in the water sometimes can cause things that are bad to grow. (Bad bacteria, etc). Basically leaving any kind of food to rot CAN be bad. Not definitately, but can be. However, there are people who use the flake method.

If you chose to use the ammonia method, you can be sure than nothing bad is growing. You would get the tank set up (rinse everything well, especially any gravel you add to the tank). Make sure your filter is running. There is no need to add water from the downstairs tank. Just use fresh water treated with a dechlorinator. (you can buy many types of these at the pet stores). Then see if your mum can help you find ammonia like I described. If you buy the test kit, you can add a little bit of ammonia, then test the water. You want it to say 4ppm or 5ppm. (This will make more sense when you get the test kit). If it's not high enough add a little more. It will take VERY little.. (I use those little medicine droppers than you can buy for babies). If you can't find clear ammonia, then the flake will do just fine.

Now, here's another question. The tank with the snails.. Do you have a filter on that?

LOL we are both posting at the same time : )

Guest katie.P

No, the snails are giant african land snails so they just breeth the air we breeth, they dont live in water. they do require other special things tho, like fish do :D

do you mind giving me the whole cycling thing so that i can right it down otherwisse it will be fporgotten by tomorrow and i will have to research it again lol, if it doesnt take to long?

haha good thing I was on myspace for the moment! This thread will always be here so you can always go back and find the stuff we talked about, and the links too..

I'm actually uncertain how young the small goldfish at pet stores are.. I still know very little about age of goldies, and breeding and raising young. And I don't really know how old they have to be before they can be sold. You might want to post that question in another thread and someone can answer you there? You could post it in Goldfish Discussion! : )

Guest katie.P

goldfish discussion, they realy do have everything you can ever think of fish wise here dont they lol

i will try and make this the very very last question allthough it prob wont stay like that for long.

What would you say is the easiest to keep, male or female?

Hmm good question. Again, not my best area of knowlege. I've seen a few people who don't like to keep females because of the eggs. However, if you are buying a young goldy, chances are you won't be able to tell if it is a male or female anyway.. I think either, especially being kept alone, will be just fine.

thanks for all your help :)

Your very welcome!!! Feel free to keep the questions coming. What I can't answer, someone else will! : ) Good luck! Glad you meet you! : )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Isilme

Hi Katie.P! Welcome to this great forum, I hope you'll enjoy yourself here :D

I see you have the same avatar as me. I don't know if there are rules on this board concerning avatars (on the other fora I'm active you aren't aloud to have the same avatar as someone else), but it might get a bit confusing... :unsure::idont

Have fun here!

I just noticed this post, so I'm a bit late :blink: . But Sue (CountryLovah) has been giving you some great advice I see :D . The fact that you're first doing all the research and that you've chosen to do a fishless cycle is something to be really proud of ;) ; most people get into trouble with their fish before they even think of doing some research.

The tiny goldfish you find in the stores (say smaller than 2 inch including the tail) are typically less than a year old, but they can grow a couple of inches in just a couple of month to two years, depending on how well you take care of them and of course on the goldfish themselves (like with humans, some just get larger than others).

As Sue mentioned already, the more questions the better: we are all happy to answer them (if we can), and as I said before, the fact that you have to so many question, is very very good, and a sign that your future goldfish will be lucky to have you :) .