Kammy Doesn't Grow

've had her 2 months now and out of my baby fish she was the biggest now she's the smallest by far, she hardly eats anything and never has really..what do you think is wrong with her? she cant be ill as she seems fine and has been with me 2 months with no problems other than this, she's a fantail and very skinny too. I wouldnt have thought she is stunted as she is only a baby. She's about an inch long Noah an inch and a half maybe?

thanks =]

i have been feeding her aquarian flakes and sometimes pellets, occasional peas, i will be starting on gell food soon. The tank is much to small for my comet and 2 fantails (i thought i would have my new tank by the time they were out of quarantine so i have to wait a few weeks to get them in my bigger tank) it's 15uk gallon. But i dont understand why she wouldnt eat much and not grow as much as my other fish? thanks

As Chrissy has touched on, above, there may be reasons that you can influence in her growth.... and there may be ones you cannot.

Fry grow - and as they grow through the first months of life, many will sort themselves out in a natural sort of selection. Some fry will look GREAT during the first month or two. There are several plateaus, though, where is seems a baby fish may reach a size that it's body is simply no longer capable of living through. It is thought that many many fish have "design flaws" in their basic makeup. A baby fish may have adequate digestion to give it the food it needs when first hatched, but as it's body grows, it is no longer capable of processing enough food quickly enough to sustain that larger body. This may result in death - for no apparent obvious reason - for the tiny fish, or it may mean that that particular fish slows in it's growth and it's spawning mates pass it by.

These types of body "incompatibilities" can be seen even in adult fish. A fish that is put together in such a way that it processes well and all, but just not as well as it's mates will grow and become an adult. But it may not ever become a really big fish. Some stay small while others that may seem, at first, identical, grow to become monsters of the deep. This genetic makeup is something you cannot change. It is hardwired into the fish.

There are other factors that can impact a fish's growth that you can control, though.... some more than others. A baby fish that has never experienced overcrowding, heavy competition for food, lack of food, etc. will grow better thoughout life than a fish that was subjected to poor water conditions, overcrowding, competition or poor food quality. Many fish that are sold in pet stores are fish that are created for the market by quantity, not quality. The fish are grown as fast as possible, using as little resources as possible - as little water, little quality food, little.....everything. Fish like this tend to have poorer life outlook.... they just are "stunted" from the get-go.

Sometimes, stressors can impact a young fish's growth. If a young fish is contending with parasites, it will expend it's energy keeping them at bay - and sacrifice growth. Many times, the parasites are in few enough numbers that you may not notice them - few enough that a larger fish may not have difficulty in shaking them off - but a small fish that is struggling a bit, perhaps, in other areas may be overly bothered by them. Have you checked for flukes? Internal worms?

Fish are also thought to release a "growth hormone" - or acutally an anti-growth hormone. If the water is not changed adequately, if the fish are crowded, etc.... this can possibly inhibit the growth of fish.

I would suggest making sure that your fish has large volume of quality water, adequate supplies of quality food and see what happens. This little fish may never keep up with it's mates. It just may be the way it is made..... That does not mean that it cannot be a happy, pretty little fish in a stunning tank, however.

:)

Hi,

Fantails are a faster variety of fancy goldfish. You have your small fantail in a tank with a comet! It is probably getting severly out competed for food.

I would suggest placing the fantail in a separate tank (QT) and essentially babying it.

This will allow the small fantail to recuperate and gain strength on its own terms.

Hopefully this helps and it isn't too late :)

Cheers

Bbop

i dont think that can be it, my other fantail eats fine and i watch all fish eat and she swims up to the food, easily has a chance to eat it and takes a tiny bite and nothing else! She was like this when she was in quarantine aswell, sammy is also a slow eater and i think the fantails are probebly faster to get there than him! lol, she's one of the first to get to the food she just wont eat it :/ plus sammy tends to stay away from the fantails when he's eating, i put food down both ends of the tank and he takes one they take the other lol, i dont think he's very fussed on them haha

thanks for all the help :D