Help! I Have A Duckling

Chrissy_Bee

I'm in a rush so this will be brief. I'm dog sitting and when I got to the house there was a note on the door telling me there's a young duck trapped in the back yard. It's a fenced yard, he'd been there for hours and it's a very suburban area...safe to say mom's probably not around. Long story short, I have the duck!!! I'd describe him as about halfway between a tiny duckling and grown duck, he still has down, he's probably a black duck or a mallard.

I don't know what to do, I have experience with seabirds but not ducks. He's out on my patio right now in a box, but I'm reading a little and wondering if it's better for me to take him inside? He has water and a few cheerios :P

Any advice would be great! I'm going back to the house first thing in the morning and if I see/hear mom I'll release him, if not, I'm going to call the local spca, ect. I'm really worried about releasing him..but I don't have a place to raise a duck!!!!

Chrissy are you making this stuff up?!! lol

Aww I hope mama comes back for him. I have NO idea what you need to do in this situation. But it sounds cute. Can you get a picture of the little fella? We had two adult ducks living in our pool this summer before we cleaned it.

Nope, not making it up....here's the proof

IMG_1266.jpg

After some quick googling, I found out that there is absolutely no way it can go free without it's mother. It has down, so it's not water proof or weather proof. I posted a message on the page for a local pet rescue group, I hope someone helps me out, I absolutely cannot take care of the poor little thing for more than a day or two :cry

OMG how CUTE is that?!!!!

I hope someone helps you out too. Poor little thing! Try looking in your phone book for a nature center. We have one near here. It's small but they've helped us before when we had a bird living in our attic. Have fun with your new little friend for the next few days : )

Heidi you're a genious!!! :heart

There IS a petting zoo/small farm that has ducks. I don't know if they'll be able to take him, but I hope so!

PS...his name is Ferdinand (ever watch Babe?), but Pooper was a close second, he has a talent for it

he needs a bit of nesting material.

when i was interning at the taipei zoo, i never dealt with ducks, but i had baby doves and owls.

i kept them in a box with torn up newspaper or magazine material.

it has to be changed out routinely so as to keep the amount of poopage that sticks to it as little as possible.

since you've got a duck, i'd actually give him baths every day to wash off what poo he does get into.

if you've got a feed store nearby, they might have food for it.

all this of course is if the petting zoo doesn't work out.

if ducks are anything like other birds, they need sunlight routinely too.

so they can grow strong bones. they will actually become weak without it...

i think lack of vitamin D?

anywho... if you will be keeping it, or keeping it awhile around other pets...

you might wanna take it to a vet to make sure it doesn't have parasites, and maybe to get vaccines?

:) ducklings are SOOO cute!!! :heart

Thanks Tinko, seems like I'm on the right track.

I guess it this says something about how accustomed the bf is becoming to my crazy ways, I just called him (he's out with friends), told him I have a duck and explained a little, he says "ok, we have a duck, is there anything else?" :rofl

I'm off to bed now, the little one is quiet, I'm guessing he'll stay that way until I turn the lights on again. Wish me luck, tomorrow I'm going to try and find his family/a new home!

I hope you can find him a good home. Good luck and let us know. He's so adoreable, I wish I could take him off you, theres a stream out back here.

Good news :D

I went back to the house this morning where I found him and did a bit of exploring. There's a walking trail nearby with a stream and little pond...and you guessed it, a flock of ducks. My guy's mom was there with about 6 of his brothers and sisters. So I got back in my car and drove home (much too fast) and got the little one. When I got him back all the ducks were together on the shore, about 25 of them. They all started walking over to meet me and that's when I let my duckling go, it was SO sweet. He ran out quacking and started greeting his buddies. I meant to take my camera but forgot, I might snap a few pics later today :)

Awww, I just read this whole story, and I swear I got a little tear in my eye at the happy family reunion. What a great story with a very happy ending. That little duckling was very lucky to have someone who cared enough to find his family for him.

Way to go, Chrissy!!!