Cycling Before I Move?

Nomi

Well, I'm moving for art school in about a month, and I've just got news that I am in fact allowed to have a fish tank in my apartment! (Yay! Though I'm limited to a 15 gallon, but even if Ophie gets a tank mate they will both be still small, about 3 inches, and I'll do two water changes a week.) Of course, since I'm going to be bringing Ophie (my telescope) with me (and maybe a tankmate) but I can't bring the tank Ophie is in right now, this means I may have to do a cycle with goldfish once I get there.

However, if I get the tank now and let it cycle before I go up, will this help at all? Of course I can't bring the water with me but I assume since most of the bacteria resides in the filter media and the gravel that this will help, even a little. Though will the bacteria be able to survive outside of the tank water? Or would it just be better to do a cycle with my goldfish (since I'll be sure to keep a close watch on everthing) once I get there?

Could you put the filter media in a container with SOME of the tank water? A bucket, or rubbermaid (better because it has a lid). You could add some ammonia to the container depending on how long it would be to get things set up to keep the bacteria fed. (As long as Ophie isn't in there too of course!). If ophie IS going to be in there, you could do the same thing, just not add any ammonia. Either way you are in a good position because you already have cycled filter media.. Upgrading is going to be so much easier for you being able to use that.

That's wonderful that you get to have a tank! You must be so excited that you get to bring your fish! Good luck in art school! (sound fun!)

I wuold definately start the cycle now. Add in an extra filter to your setup now. Drop in extra media to seed.

When you travel with Ophie, just drop the media into the same bag/bucket with the fish. If that is not possible, put it in a baggie with a bit of used fish water and stick it in the corner of the bucket/box that holds the fish bag.

You may not have a full cycle by that time - it may be bumped a bit - but you should be able to get that tank up and running within a very short time if you plan ahead now.

:)

My fishtank and single white goldfish was one of the BEST things I had when I was in college. They are WONDERFUL.

:)

Definitely cycle it now. Whenever I took Ace to/from college I took him in a little container and just stuck his filter stuff in a gladware container with some tank water for the ride. I never added ammonia before, but that sounds like something I'll have to try with Sunny.