Sue, How Is Your Cycle Going?

I just thought I'd check in and see how things are going. I just hit the 2.0 mark with Nitrites and am feeding a little ammonia every day...now it is the waiting game. Just thought I'd see where you are at.

Umm well ummm. It isn't?! LMAO

Actually I haven't done A THING with the 38 gallon tank yet. Plans changed when I got Kahlua & Malibu.. When I added the salt to their tank for quarentining, the cycle had a bump. The ammonia in there rises daily to about 0.75. So I've been doing large water changes daily with them. Between my daughter, pets, cleaning, helping my sister "in law" find a job (oooh you can't even imagine the drama there), and trying to make sure my boyfriend doesn't feel neglected I have just been busy.. Every day when I have "fish time" I put my water changes for Kahlua & Malibu first. I also tend to do at least one OTHER water change daily, because I like to try to do the tanks on different days that way I don't get any water from one tank into another. (just in case). And then I've just been using any spare time I have to either 1) go to the beach 2) come on kokos. The good news is today was day 14 of salt at 0.3% so tomorrow I can start decreasing the salt. I found that in most of my tanks I was having cycle issues when there was salt in the water, and as soon as the salt was gone, things perked right back up almost instantly. I am hoping for the same thing in this case. That means I will have more freedom from daily water changes.

The good news is, I have a new plan! : ) I am still going to use PP on both larger tanks. I wanted to start a brand new cycle in those tanks, but at this point all of my fish are doing wonderful in the tanks they are in now. I THINK I am going to PP the 29 gallon, then move Miranda & Samantha in there with whatever filter media they have in there now. Then I am going to PP the 38 gallon, and move Kahlua & Malibu in there with whatever filter media they have now. So I should get a fairly instant cycle on both of them! The main reason I wanted to start the cycle fresh was to test out those bacteria supplement products. But why make the fish wait for a larger tank when I can test out those products in buckets! I am going to get 4 buckets, each with a mesh baggie with biomax media. And set them all up in the spare bedroom (which is a nice warm 78 degrees. YUCK but great for this little test). Then I am going to add the same amount of ammonia to each, and an air stone. Bucket one gets NOTHING, Bucket two gets One & Only Bacteria, Bucket three gets CYCLE, and bucket four gets STABILITY! THis way I can have my test complete AND the fish get their bigger tanks faster!

I just thought I'd check in and see how things are going. I just hit the 2.0 mark with Nitrites and am feeding a little ammonia every day...now it is the waiting game. Just thought I'd see where you are at.

OOOH now we are just waiting for those nitrates!!! I am excited! I can't wait til your tank is done and you can find a new fish.. I've seen you've been looking at some of the places Lynda recommended! I hope the perfect fish finds you right when your tank is done!! I'm sure the warm california weather is helping speed things up!!! Hopefully it will be any day now! I'm so excited for you!

I can't wait to hear how your experiment goes! It will help me for when my bigger tank comes along (someone just posted a free 60 gallon on CL tonight and any time I see an ad like that I answer it). My hope is to get this little one cycled and use some of the filter media to cycle a big one if I find it and then I have a quarentine tank ready. Of course, today we looked at a new apartment. We weren't planning to move, but we've had some problems with our neighbor smoking so heavily it gets into our apartment. And in the back of my mind I'm thinking let me get this tank cycled first, then I get empty most of the water, but hopefully keep the good bacteria in the rocks. But most likely we won't end up moving...oops I'm off track!

Anyway, I haven't hit all of the stores Lynda suggested, but I plan to do her fish day trip tour when I am cycled and ready.

And I'm jealous of your beach time...I feel like the summer is just flying by!

Wow, it seems like everyone is finding bigger tanks!!! That sounds like a great plan Amy! Of course I will be jealous of you and your big ol tank lol Isn't it funny how the fish can end up influencing things that you would NEVER have thought they would? Like moving, and trips. It sounds funny to some people "I'm hoping to avoid moving until after my fish tank has cycled". LOL The other day I came home from the beach early because I was worried about Samantha (the day her meds got messed up). I just could not relax. We drove there (about an hour) and stayed a few hours and I was just antsy and finally said "I wanna go home and check on Sam"

I'm lucky, the last few years I've got a lot of beach time in. We used to go to Wildwood NJ when I was younger which is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away. Way too far. Then I found pictures of Asbury Park on this abandoned NJ website.. I LOVE old abandoned buildings, towns, anything like that, and I wanted to see the old boardwalk and buildings. We went for the first time 3 years ago, and back then the town was JUSt starting to pick back up. It wasn't "scary" anymore but it wasn't crowded. Parking was free, we had the beach practically to ourselves. It's only about an hour from my house, so it's easy to make day trips. It's gotten completely different now. It's trying to be more "upscale" and I am not upscale LMAO I actually liked it better as my crummy little abandoned beach! LOL Sometimes we go to Point Pleasant instead because it has more games, food, etc. I think we are going back on Monday, and maybe again Thursday. My boyfriend works from home, so he can arrange his schedule based on nice beach days! I LOVE IT!

I keep finding these big tanks, but missing out on them. I think I'm going to have to resolve myself to buying one (but hopefully I will still find a good deal on Craigs List). After our earthquake (and after the water from my little tank ended up on our floor) we decided that a 40 gallon is the largest we should go. I really want three goldfish so that should be about right. Until then, when this little tank cycle I will get one special guy for this tank. I just planted a java moss log which is the closet thing I can to a fish while cycling.

I love the idea of your secret beach spot...it must have been said to lose it. I actually named Searchlight after an old ghost town, because I love abandoned stuff, too. My main beach spot is the dog beach in San Diego. I just can't enjoy myself at the beach anymore without my dog. I feel guilty if I don't bring him.

What does Shane do? Geoff works from home, too (and when I'm not traveling I work from home a lot) so in some ways I joke that we live like retired people. Even though we work a lot (Geoff crazy hours) we can be more free with our schedules.

That means you still get to pick out 4 goldies!! I'm so jealous..I have ONE spot left.. Although I haven't rules out saving up for a BIG tank.. But I wanna see how things turn out with the ones I have now.. Honestly, with the bettas and trops I have enough tanks to manage right now.. And I don't want anything to happen to my bettas, TRUST me.. But they don't live forever, and I am thinking I would rather get another big goldie tank, than do maintence on 3 small betta/trop tanks... I'm just not sure yet.. Nothing I want to rush into. I think I am at a great number right now... Just see how things turn out down the road.

OOOh fun. I love ghost towns.. There's a bunch of great places in New Mexico that I look at when I am there. There is the remains of an abandoned hospital.. The majority of the buildings burned down, but the main one is still there. Every time we visit I go and take a million pictures... There was also this abandoned mental hospital near me called Byberry in Philly.. It stood vacant for years while people complained about it.. Second I found out about it, it was torn down! Same with Asbury!!! I never went inside Byberry.. It was guarded and I wasn't about to try to sneak in... But I did take pictures from the outside. One time I went up to the guard and just asked to take some, and he said he wasn't allowed but if I was quick about it he would look the other way.. A lot of people used to sneak in. I was always soo jealous, but it wasn't safe... Knowing my luck I would have gone in and a floor collapsed on me.. SO I just settled for looking from the outside and other people's pictures.

That's crazy that Searchlight was named after an abandoned place. Funny!

Ohh I've never gotten to take my dog to the beach!!!! It's at least an hour drive for us, and my little wimpy puggle just hates the heat.. He sleeps in a PINK princess bed!!! And not because I am trying to make him pink and girly.. Because he used to rip up all his doggie beds and the only bed he never chewed was a little princess bed thing that Taylor had as a toddler!!! He still sleeps in it everynight. He has blankets and he covers himself up so only his head sticks out.. He hates cold and heat. He would love to run on the beach, but he would be done in about 10 minutes. Even taking him for walks, he's not a big fan.. But it would be fun to take him some time!

Shane works for some company around here that does work with the US patent office.. It's really weird. I can't explain it. It would drive me NUTS. It used to be more paper based. Now they just put everything on a flash drive, and in a few months it's all internet. So he won't have to go in to work EVER..My mom actually works with the same company (and has since I was young) but about a year ago when her & my dad separated she stated to work there not from home, because of the extra benefits.

I used to live in Kalamazoo, MI (there really is such a place) and there was an old abanded pysch hospital that I knew people used to sneak into. I used to run my dog off leash there, but was never brazen enough to sneak in. A lot of people had medical charts and files from there they found. But I do like that stuff. Ghost towns especially.

My dog, a little Maltese, loves to run on the beach and play with all the big dogs but he turns into an enormous baby when it comes to getting wet. He gets cold and starts shivering and looking up at me to wrap him up in a towel. He acts like a big tough dog and will hike for miles with us, but get him wet and he is nothing but a shivering little baby. It's pretty cute.

I think we are leaning towards three goldfish to make sure they have plenty of room...but it might be hard to resist that fourth. I'll get the new tank by December at the latest (I know what I'm getting for Christmas :rolleyes: ), but it will be hard to get only one goldfish for now. Then I can use the gravel to help seed the new tank.

My job is like that...hard to describe. Right now is my slow season, but in Fall I travel like crazy. Geoff is a fine artist (a painter) so he works like fourteen hour days, but all for himself.

I know Kalamazoo!!! Right near Paw Paw!!!! Shane's friend lives there and we visited her once! Paw Paw had this little lake, with a park and it was soooo cute!!! It said no swimming but we got into town early and no one was home. So we went and ate lunch at the park, then went in the lake. I was 4 months pregnant and taking a road trip and swimming. (See I love the water!) We went into Kalamazoo one night and went to AppleBee's (I think? Maybe Bennigans) How funny.

But I didn't know there was a hospital there!! NOw I have to go back! That sounds FUN! That's how Byberry was.. People found alll this weird stuff... Oooh I love just thinking about it. Yep ghost towns are awesome. You'd think Shane being from New Mexico I would have visited more, but no one likes this stuff but me!!!!! I would love to take a trip that was just traveling and finding old abandoned towns... I think that would be my dream vacation! Ohh and I love Billy the Kid stuff!!!!! : )

Yeah I bet it will be hard to resist more fish, but it will work out nice in the end!!! Right now Kahlua & Malibu's tank is starting to pick up again. Everything crashed when I added the salt and stayed that way the whole time. NOw that the salt is out I am seeing nitrites. Today the ammonia was almost gone. I THINK I the nitrates may have looked higher than yesterday and in that case everything should be back to normal soon. But man is it annoying!! LOL I bet every day you are like "come on come on!"

Your husbands job sounds interesting!! Does he do a variety of paintings, or have a general theme???

That is so funny. I actually used to work in Paw Paw...as a farm worker, an English teacher at a local community college and as a pourer at a wine tasting room. I've had a lot of weird jobs.

There was this weird fenced in yard at the hospital that I used to take my do to run in. I don't even know what it was for, but that the abandoned mental ward was like a tall tower...it almost looked like a prison. Pretty creepy.

My dad and I did a drive to Las Cruces, NM last year. It was beautiful. But my favorite part was going to a Native American village that was still running. Most people still made fry bread in outdoor ovens and lived in mud houses...so beautiful.

I stopped by a fish store yesterday and found a fish I loved...but I had to resist (of course, that didn't mean I couldn't stand there and stare at it for awhile). I always take my dog with me and carry him. He seems to actually enjoy looking at the fish in the tanks.

Geoff's work is a bit hard to describe, but is really cool. You can check out his work at www.geoffmitchell.org He also makes our pet portraits (I do marketing) which is at www.pawsterpieces.com.

Ohhh you've been to Las Cruces??!! I know that town WELL! It's about an hour from Deming, where Shane's family is from. You've got to go to Cruces if you want to really go shopping. (Deming has stores, and a w mart now and stuff, but if you want STORES, or a mall you gotta go to Cruces). We go there ALL the time... I LOVE it out there... It's perfect for me.

I want to go to the creepy abandoned mental prison tower LMAO That sounds FUN!!!!! lol

Your husbands work is very interesting!! (I agree hard to describ but still very cool)..Of course I am a sucker for the pet pieces.. : ) I love those!!!!

So Amy, how is YOUR cycle going now?? It's been a few days..ANY NITRATES?!?!?!?!

I really liked Cruces...my parents were thinking of retiring there and I was excited, but it didn't happen.

Whenever I have a fish we are going to use him/her for a pet portrait sample. Though only Koko's folks would probably get a portrait done of their goldfish, I do think they would come out really beautiful.

Well, I tested nitrates last night (I finally got a kit) and because I had to empty the ten gallon to move in the 30 (I thought it was twenty-nine, but measured it and it comes up to 30) there were none. Oh, well.

So I'm back to square one, but with a big new lovely tank so that makes it worthwhile.

Amy, so are you still cycling the 10 gallon or just the 30 now?? If just the 30 you can take the filter and the media that it holds and move it directly to the 30 and then the 30 should pick up where the 10 left off.... And if you are still cycling the 10, once it is done, you can add a little extra filter media in for a few days.Then transfer some over to the 30 and you'll get a much faster cycle in there....

I'm soooo getting a goldie portrait!! Actually and I want one of my dog.. he is my favorite boy of course... I love all of my pets but if something happened to my dog, I would be lost.. People I love: Shane, Taylor, My Mom, The Dog, Tanya.....Seriously the dog is up there with the people.. : )

A lot of people retire in Deming actually. Tons of retirement sections. It's really nice.. I would love to move out there one day, but right now my mom Shane and I all depend on each other. I couldn't afford going anywhere without her, and vice versa... She's lived here her whole life,so this is where we stay. She did mention recently that when SHE is old enough to retire, she might like to move out to NM, and just fly up here to visit.. I like where I live because 1) I'm an hour from the beach 2) There are plenty of stores 3) concerts!

But that's about it... I am closer to Shane's family than my own (other than my mom), I have more friends in NM, I like the animals, the scenery, the lifestyle, the people. All of that about New Mexico.... But... I have grown up in this house since I was 2...

Sorry I missed this, Sue. If you moved to New Mexico you would be much closer the the Koko's California Goldfish Convention :rolleyes:

As soon as we get a sample of the goldfish (which of course requires me getting a goldfish) I'll let you know and you can check it out. And if you want a portrait, you get a twenty percent discount for being so cool...in fact anyone on Koko's does.

I agree...my dog and cat are full-fledged family members and we would put our on lives in danger for them. No doubt about it.

Hopefully, you are having fun at the beach!

Oops and I forgot to add that I moved the whole filter from the ten to the thirty, but so far it hasn't seemed to help.