Sign in to follow this  
lantern567

Changing Water In A Pond

I am out there vacuuming, so I will be removing water. The question is about putting the water it back in. I was thinking of putting the hose into the waterfall, because then it would most aerated and most likely to remove the chlorine. I will also add the de-chlorinator, but I do want to minimize stress on the fish and the beneficial bacteria. What do you think?

Also, I've read about chlorine remover hose attachments. Should I invest in one of those?

Guest NewLeaf

Hi - I have an outdoor goldfish pond and use a Systems IV in line filter. It hooks right up to the hose bibb and removes chlorine and unwanted stuff. It has worked very well for me. A good place to find a filter like this is at an RV store since RVs need to hook up to water sorces and people may want to filter out bad things for themselves.

I am out there vacuuming, so I will be removing water. The question is about putting the water it back in. I was thinking of putting the hose into the waterfall, because then it would most aerated and most likely to remove the chlorine. I will also add the de-chlorinator, but I do want to minimize stress on the fish and the beneficial bacteria. What do you think?

Also, I've read about chlorine remover hose attachments. Should I invest in one of those?

First a disclaimer :) : I know (near to) nothing about pond maintenance etc :unsure: . I just saw you mention that aeration might remove (part of) the chlorine. I'm not certain whether aeration would have a large effect on the chlorine content of the water, so I'd think it best to check that with a moderator (given that having a chlorine in your pond water would be really bad for your fish :wacko: ).

Just put the dechlor in before you add the water back in.... Spraying the water over the waterfall is a good idea as that oxygenates the water and degasses the chlorine a bit, but use the dechlor just to be on the safe side.....

Good for you for vacuuming all the gunk off the bottom of your pond!