Terrible Herbivores!

Guest Isilme

Guest Isilme

Every plant I introduce in my tank seems to be a snack for my gf. It has already cost me a lot of money and now I am fed up with it. I want a beautiful planted tank, because I really like plants and the green in my tank, but it doesn't work because my gf keep eating them and jerking them out of their substrate. I've already tried to put the plants into pots, and although the roots were 5cm (2inch) in gravel, they managed to jerk it out of the pot. Does anyone have a solution? Perhaps plants that gf don't like or something? I also put a lot of Elodea in it, because I know they like it and I thought that they would leave the other plants alone, but they ust eat all the leaves of the Elodea and then start at something new. They don't even give the plant the time to regrow! I added fertilizer and something that would enhance root-growth.

Anny suggestions? (and ow, I don't like plastic plants).

If I knew that I would buy cows in stead of gf, I would have bought a milking machine too! :krazy::rofl

Every plant I introduce in my tank seems to be a snack for my gf. It has already cost me a lot of money and now I am fed up with it. I want a beautiful planted tank, because I really like plants and the green in my tank, but it doesn't work because my gf keep eating them and jerking them out of their substrate. I've already tried to put the plants into pots, and although the roots were 5cm (2inch) in gravel, they managed to jerk it out of the pot. Does anyone have a solution? Perhaps plants that gf don't like or something? I also put a lot of Elodea in it, because I know they like it and I thought that they would leave the other plants alone, but they ust eat all the leaves of the Elodea and then start at something new. They don't even give the plant the time to regrow! I added fertilizer and something that would enhance root-growth.

If I knew that I would buy cows in stead of gf, I would have bought a milking machine too! :krazy::rofl

Once I get my 'plant farm' up and running, I'd gladly give you some 'consumable' plants every once in a while :D .

Guest Isilme
:lol1 My goldies LOVE plants too !!

now that I have my puffer I can use plants ad use sand it's great!!...skys the limit :D

As I said in another post, the puffer is on the list! :D

Once I get my 'plant farm' up and running, I'd gladly give you some 'consumable' plants every once in a while :D .

I was planning on 'nuking' the plants (elodea) that I got this weekend and give the excess to you, interested?

Guest Isilme

I was planning on 'nuking' the plants (elodea) that I got this weekend and give the excess to you, interested?

Yes! :D

:gfish: say: we too!!!! :feedme --> :Scoff:

• Admin

Well the plant I have found that goldies dont like to eat is the Anubis plant. They come in many different kinds, shapes, colors and the really neat thing is that they bloom under water. Easy to take care of dont need alot of light and no fertilizers at all.... :D

Well the plant I have found that goldies dont like to eat is the Anubis plant. They come in many different kinds, shapes, colors and the really neat thing is that they bloom under water. Easy to take care of dont need alot of light and no fertilizers at all.... :D

Yeah, at our lfs they also recommended Anubias, for the same reason. Speaking from my own experience, it's true that they are much more resistant to goldies, but we had two Anubias species, one with wide leaves and one with slender leaves; the slender leaf Anubias didn't last to long. It's possible though that that plant was simple not old (and thus less tasty) enough. :)

Looks like our survivor Anubias :D (the left one below; the right one became goldfish salad :wacko: ).

(sorry for the poor picture quality :unsure: )

DSC03341.jpg

• Admin

I had that plant on the right once. :lol2 gone..... the heart shaped leaves are the best ones. I have had the 2 in my 80 gal now for 3 years, goldfish dont want anything to do with them except for matting :rofl

Guest Isilme

Thanks for the tip, but I have the same and the GF really seemed to like it :( They ate the whole plant untill there were only stems left. I also tried grassy plants, gone... I tried something else that is like an Anubias but with longer stems, gone...

Maybe the plants are not bad, but my fish could be mentaly insane ;)

The ones in the little tank (Benja & Junior) can choose between plants and green algae to chew on and they actually prefer the green algae :bingo: I know you really do not like algae but a green layer at the back might keep them away from the plants.

An other option could be: you once said that that big Anubias in you tropical is getting to big, maybe if you would pot that one in a big pot they would'nt uproot it, as it must have plenty of roots. :unsure:

Been there, done that. Tacky as they are, that's why I have plastic plants.....

My goldies seem to prefer algae as well, BUT they do systematically destroy most plants I put in the tank. The one I've had wonderful success with is lacey java fern. They try to chew it sometimes but never succeed, and it grows really well so I always split it and put it in new pots and my other tanks.

My goldies seem to prefer algae as well, BUT they do systematically destroy most plants I put in the tank.

Even goldfish need a hobby, most of the time it is 'uprooting and destroying plants' :rofl

My goldies seem to prefer algae as well, BUT they do systematically destroy most plants I put in the tank.

Even goldfish need a hobby, most of the time it is 'uprooting and destroying plants' :rofl

True. Eating everything in sight is not a hobby for them, it's their profession ... :rolleyes:

I wonder if you try tricking them (I'm always trying to outsmart my goldies ) :rolleyes: .ok so here is the plan ..what about putting all plastic plants in first (lots of them )and one by one replace one plastic with a real (during feeding time of course ) so they are only worried about there food ..do this over the next few weeks so they have no clue (honestly they might just let you win this one ...maybe ..or they will prove to you that they are not stupid at all .. :)

My amazon sword and anubias are the only two plants which have survived Echo...Athena couldn't give a hoot about plants, she's all "give me brine." "give me worms." "give me pellets" "peas! oranges! pineapple!" "ewww no lettuce or spinach" She hates plants from what I can tell. But Echo will eat just about anything that moves or sways...or enters the tank, unless it's Athena, who'll gladly shove him around. But I guess plant eating is a problem with some fish and not at all with others. I'd say Sword plants and Anubias are goldfish resistant, but they might just be Echo resistant. So I hope that helps you some!

And I know, I too once dreamed about having a gorgeously planted tank...Someday, I guess! :rolleyes:

Also- I like the idea about fooling them...But with the way goldies root around everything, I think they're bound to figure it out! If you decide to give that a try thought, I'd love to know how it goes!

Edited by Earth!Mother