Red Cap Oranda-missing Scales-small Growth On Crown Of Wen

Guest VentureScout

Guest VentureScout

Please help determine how serious this is...

PURPOSE: Our family is trying to identify the following: (1) The cause of missing scales. (2) What is the growth on Oranda's wen that resembles a small bump consisting of a cluster of translucent type pimples with a tinge of white on outer surface. (3) Wish to positively determine gender. DETAILS: White Bodied Red Capped Oranda named 'Rudolph' / appx. 12-18 mths old / 5"- 6" long including tail / otherwise healthy and very active. TANKMATES: Rudolph occupies a 55 gallon tank with best buddy- a Calico Fan Tail Gold Fish about 50% larger and a few months older, two young Plecos appx. 2" each, and a 14" Pleco that was introduced appx 6 mths ago. BACKGROUND: All has been well until this past week when we caught the 14" Pleco chasing the goldfish when the light in the tank was turned off. Once even saw the Pleco chase and overtake Rudolph and briefly pin to the gravel. Hasn't done this today though. POSSIBLE CAUSES: (1) Suspect that loss of scales is due to scrapes against rocks while being chased by Pleco and/or from spawning? (2) Wonder if growth on Wen is an injury or a sign of maturation? Except for the Orange Wen, Rudolph was solid white as a baby of about 2" when purchased. Just within the last month or so his underbelly has started turning orange. I know this is considered normal, but does the Wen undergo a transformation too? I wonder because I've seen the larger and more mature Oranda type goldfish in pet stores with their entire cap resembling a large cluster of clear fluid filled pimples and wonder if this may be the case with Rudolph or are they just a different breed? (3) Unsure if Rudolph is male or female. After doing a bit of research we made several attempts to get a good look at the vent, and our consensus favors a female. Other gender signs are unclear to us- no apparent ridge, pointed fins, white spots on gills, etc... Then again, we're not sure because the only other live source we have to compare is with the Calico Fan Tail buddy which has a similar vent and fins. Unlike the Oranda, the Calico Fan Tail has a more slimmer profile. However we just noticed a small lump on one side of the base of the Fan Tail's stomach, near the base of its tail. Also unlike the Oranda, the Fan Tail has white dots along his fins, but not noticeable on its gills, which may signal male. Still we're still not sure of gender for either one. Perhaps neither have reached their sexual maturity? RELATED QUESTION: Supposing the Red Cap Oranda and the Fantail are of opposite sexes, is it still possible for them to produce hybrid fry when they are different types of goldfish?

Please help. Any useful information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Click here to view pictures of Red Cap Oranda and TankMates...

Edited by VentureScout

Hello and welcome to Koko's! :)

Thanks for providing so much useful information, this will definitely help moderators and other members in assisting with your fish. However, it would be really helpful if you could answer the questions below:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

As it stands I can offer a few responses to your post:

* Unfortunately, plecos and goldfish do not make good tankmates. The older and bigger plecos get they begin to suck on the goldfish's slime coat. This is most likely what you witnessed the other day. Chances are, this happens more frequently than you are aware. I've had to get rid of my favorite pleco because of this same situation. Do you have another tank you could place the plecos in? Would you be willing to part with them?

* Your pictures are posted on snapfish, which requires a user account to view them. I've got an account, so I could view them, but I doubt everyone does... can you post them on photobucket.com, then copy the links into the thread?

* Based on your pictures, I think your right in saying the white marks on your oranda is new wen growth. :)

* As for the damaged scales, this definitely could be caused by your pleco or from possible breeding behavior with the fantail since you state breeding stars are present on the fins. I would recommend salting the tank gradually to 0.3% to help facilitate healing. However, plecos (from what I remember) do not handle salt well....

Here's a link about using salt: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

Hope this helps...

Edited by Desiree

two young Plecos appx. 2" each, and a 14" Pleco that was introduced appx 6 mths ago.

:yikes Desiree is correct. 14" is massive - separate the goldfish from the plecos immediately! The scales are missing because the pleco is eating them! They become increasingly carniverous with size.

I also think that the tank is very over stocked and unbalanced with these fish together. Plecs are tropicals while gfish are cold water. Plecs of this size need a lot of space, so perhaps you could keep them in the 55 and maybe find another tank for the goldies; they too are a pretty large and would do well in a 30-40 gal tank or even rubber maid bucket as a temporary home. Also, I really fear for their wellbeing if they are left to the ravages of your huge pleco. Being chased and preyed upon is not only very stressful for them but also opens them up to infection when the slimecoat is breached.

The wen pimples are just a sign of new wen growth and very common during a growing phase. It usually lasts a few days and then disappear. If not, you can gently swab the area with a Q tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide (avoid eyes, gills and mouth).

Others who breed can answer your other questions.

Post back with your diagnosis box as Desiree suggested andwe'll see how we can help further :)