Redcap And Redcap Oranda

kangakoi

Dear Members,

A redcap fantails will not grow a wen and only have that red spot on their heads as they getting older? and the redcap oranda will grow a wen. So can you tell which is which at a young age? (I have learned not to trust the advice given by my LFS sale guy). Please advise.

Regards

kanga

Edited by kangakoi

at about six months of age you will begin to see the wen starting to develop. This usually takes the form of a thickening on the head. View the fish from the top, this will appear as the fish's head is more squared then rounded. Genetics, food,water quality, and sunlight all play a part in the development. With a red cap oranda it will appear as if the red cap is starting to raise up a bit in young fish

I will never be one to insist that a LFS employee knows what they are talking about, BUT...... many many Orandas - the semi-generic type that are commonly sold to LFS for quantity and price rather than quality - ARE, truly, Orandas. They order them as Orandas and receive tiny little guys that are, genetically..... ORANDA. They are telling you the truth - they ordered and purchased Orandas to sell.

BUT.... unless you have an extraordinarily well matched set of breeding fish with an extraordinarily stable genetic makeup, the majority of the fry will NOT necessarily good representatves of the breed.

The younger the fish is, the less you can tell about it's "breed representation". In unknown breedings is it best to get a fish that is big enough to see the breed distinctions. If you cannot do that, go for the reputation of the breeder. In a LFS situation, you know neither the breeder, the breeding stock nor can you see the larger fish. It is a bit of a gamble.

As stated above, looking for a thickening is your best bet - a squared off head shape. Feeding a diet heavy in protien (blood worms and other such foods help a lot!) will go a long way towards developing a good wen - but you cannot develop that which is not genetically there.

I hope you can find a nice redcap that you wish. :)

Thanks guys,

I will now do the safe bet and buy "Red cap" when I can see a grown wen and if feed a high protein diet their wen will improve as they grow

Edited by kangakoi

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Yeah, buy a goldy with a wen already I have a platinum fantail that was sold as and suppose to be an Oranda. Needless to say I'm dissapointed.