Minneapolis- Umkc 2008 Koi Show

This show starts tomorrow at 4 PM - there's info in this thread if you're local and could make it by: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=65065

But I figured I'd share some early pictures to give people an idea what a koi show looks like if they haven't seen one. And share some of the details of how the behind the scenes stuff goes getting ready:Set up is almost done, despite the heat. Here's some early pictures to whet your appetites.

Entrance area:

IMG_5703.jpg

The venue host Bachman's graciously let us use plants form the sale floor to dress up the place

IMG_5694.jpg

Club Table

IMG_5695.jpg

Seminar schedule is posted:

IMG_5696.jpg

Down the side aisle:

IMG_5708.jpg

Edited by cheekylemur

The mechanics

Temper tanks for water from the well on site:

IMG_5714.jpg

Overhead PVC runs for tempered water and air run above both lines of show tanks in the greenhouse:

IMG_5690.jpg

An airstone for each tank drops from the PVC lines. There is also a water line into each tank with a regulator to keep the flow through system going.

IMG_5691.jpg

On club-owned tanks, a standpipe is installed to drain water into a PVC pipe on the ground and back out of the show site. A siphon version over the lip of the tank drains water on the show tanks provided by sponsor Poly-tank.

IMG_5712.jpg

Trophy table is all decorated, waiting for the trophies:

IMG_5701.jpg

Champion Challenge tanks (Marudo showa growout contest). Fish will be assigned by lottery and brought back to the 2009 show for judging.

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

Four koi donated by Kodama for the club koi auction are already in their tank

th_MVI_5687.jpg

Awww, thanks! I love that fish.

I took about a million video clips today - mostly Koi Acres sales tanks and the goldfish from Southwest and some in-bag shots. And just two tanks of the exhibitor koi since most were still floating in the bags or not there yet when I had to time to poke around.

I don't think I can directly embed them here, but they will all be going up in my Vimeo account so you can take a peek at your leisure: http://www.vimeo.com/user647914/videos

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, some amazing videos! :thumbs: Looks like it was a great show. I see Peter Ponzio and Ray Jordan on the seminar list - some great speakers for any show! Did you get a chance to talk to them personally?

I see you mentioned Kodama koi - was Matt McCann from Quality koi there as well? He usually holds the most fasincating lectures on the most recent effort in koi breeding and health.

I love the videos from SW goldfish - as usual, perfect fish for sale. I could pick out 5-6 fish which I wouldn't mind owning. A couple of those panda orandas, a pearlie or two, and I see an adorable pompon oranda. Nice ryukin too!

Tank 24 - is that your fish? Is there a ryukin in with the koi? :unsure:

So, did you buy anything? Win anything? A raffle maybe? I love those shows!!

It was great - yup, tank 24 was my tank. The ryukin won the "Here for the Beer" award for being the worst koi entered (ha ha!), and the special "Best Companion Fish", which was a robotic koi someone had written on in Sharpie.

I got a chance to talk to all of the judges about my fish, and Peter Ponzio spent a few minutes looking at photos and videos of some of my other goldfish to talk to me about them. Very educational. He recommended I bring two of mine to the Chicago show, but sadly I can't make it down there. Peter also did a lecture about goldfish, I've got transcribing my notes and republishing them on my to-do list when I get some free time.

I've got the little black and red pearlie swimming around in QT right now, along with a black oranda and the chocolate pearlie who are flying to a friend in NY next week.

Here are pics of all 113 koi exhibited at the show: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s230/ch...ching%20Photos/