Seamonsters

Desiree

Well, in a few weeks I plan on adding to my collection. I plan to get a small calico ranchu/ lionhead and want to carry on the seamonster theme in my tank. But, I'm at a loss for names... Any suggestions? :)

Edited by Desiree

Ogopogo? :rofl Ok, so it's not really a 'Sea' monster, rather a lake monster. Other names you might spring for are Hydra or Siren. Or you may spring fo real-life extinct sea monsters like Plesiosaur or Kronosaurus.

Legendary Sea Monsters

The Aspidochelone, a giant turtle or whale that appeared to be an island, and lured sailors to their doom

Capricorn, Babylonian Water-Goat, in the Zodiac

Charybdis of Homer, a monstrous whirlpool that sucked any ship nearby

Coinchenn, from whose bone the Gae Bulg is made in Celtic mythology

Curruid, the sea monster who killed the Coinchenn

Hydra, Greece

J?rmungandr, the Norse Midgard Serpent.

Kraken

Leviathan

Proteus

Scylla of Homer, a six-headed serpentine that devoured six men from each ship that passed by

Siren of Homer

Tiamat, the constellation Cetus

Yacumama, South America

Hahah! I was totally thinking Hydra... but there's this record label that puts out a lot of bands I like called Hydrahead... not that it's a bad thing, just an aside... Thanks for all the great suggestions. Oh, and CountryLovah, the other fishes names are Leviathan and Kraken-- see pictures in signature. :)

Legendary Sea Monsters

The Aspidochelone, a giant turtle or whale that appeared to be an island, and lured sailors to their doom

Capricorn, Babylonian Water-Goat, in the Zodiac

Charybdis of Homer, a monstrous whirlpool that sucked any ship nearby

Coinchenn, from whose bone the Gae Bulg is made in Celtic mythology

Curruid, the sea monster who killed the Coinchenn

Hydra, Greece

J?rmungandr, the Norse Midgard Serpent.

Kraken

Leviathan

Proteus

Scylla of Homer, a six-headed serpentine that devoured six men from each ship that passed by

Siren of Homer

Tiamat, the constellation Cetus

Yacumama, South America

Whew! OKAY Lynda research queen! LOL :krazy: If ya can't find a name from that list I don't know WHAT to tell ya! I definitly vote Hydra or Siron they are the cutest names. Capricorn is cute too.

Nessy!!! See I was sitting there thinking "what is the name of the Loch Ness monster" and as easy as it is, I couldn't get it. But then I started thinking that there was maybe already a nessy in the tank so I didn't know.

Oh, and CountryLovah, the other fishes names are Leviathan and Kraken-- see pictures in signature. :)

K someone just slap me!!! I seriously never look for things in the sigs and they are always there.. I think the blonde hair dye is starting to affect my brain LMAO

Can't due Siren, I live in Seattle and am a former Starbucks barista, their logo is a Siren... hahah! Yeah, Lynda-- your awesome, you provided so many awesome suggestions; hmmm... I AM a Capricorn... that may be it...

K someone just slap me!!! I seriously never look for things in the sigs and they are always there.. I think the blonde hair dye is starting to affect my brain LMAO

Hahah! I'm a natural blonde and I miss things like that all the time; maybe it's my black hair dye sinking in... ;)

I kinda liked Scylla (pronounced Silla).

Me to

a beautiful girl that was turned by Agrippa into a monster :D or is it the other way around?

But wasn't she the one with halve a dozen dogheads are something :unsure:

I think that my mythology has become a little rusty :rofl

Edited by Quasi

Me to

a beautiful girl that was turned by Agrippa into a monster :D or is it the other way around?

Well, I'll be the first to admit I've never read Homer, OMG!, but according to what I found, it says she was a "six-headed serpentine."

Me to

Well, I'll be the first to admit I've never read Homer, OMG!, but according to what I found, it says she was a "six-headed serpentine."

But she is often portraitted as one, according to Wikipedia "In classical art, she was depicted as a fish-tailed mermaid with four to six dog-heads ringing her waist."

This is the legend I know

"According to Ovid, Scylla was once a beautiful nymph. The fisherman-turned-sea-god Glaucus fell madly in love with her, but she fled from him onto the land where he could not follow. Despair filled his heart. He went to the sorceress Circe to ask for a love potion to melt Scylla's heart. As he told his tale of love about Scylla to Circe, she herself fell in love with him. She wooed him with her sweetest words and looks, but the sea-god would have none of her. Circe was furious, but with Scylla and not with Glaucus. She prepared a vial of very powerful poison and poured it in the pool where Scylla bathed. As soon as the nymph entered the water, she was transformed into a frightful monster with twelve feet and six heads, each with three rows of teeth. Angry, growling wolf heads grew from her waist, and she tried to brush them off. She stood there in utter misery, unable to move, loathing and destroying everything that came into her reach, a peril to all sailors who passed near her. Whenever a ship passed, each of her heads would seize one of the crew."

Edited by Quasi

All I can say is, what drugs were these greeks taking?