Making A Quiet Place...

Desiree

Hello everyone. Not really sure where to post this, so here it goes:

I've got a lot of current running in my tank; a Penguin 350 and an air pump rated for 75 gallon tanks attached to an air hose that runs the length of my 30 gallon tank. Anyway, my fish seem perfectly content with their home just the way it is, but... I want to make sure they're not getting stressed out. So, I added a clear, glass vase in my tank to provide a bit of a quiet place. Well, I'm wondering, what's the best way to do this, it's a rectangular vase about 10 inches high, I have it standing up, so the fish swim down into it right now. Would it be better to place it on it's side? Or would the fish potentially get stuck? I've never seen a fish swim, err backwards... I guess what I'm trying to say is, would they struggle to swim out of it? I've seen pictures (I think from BeancurdTurtle) with a similar set up. Any suggestions? Or am I just becoming an ultra paranoid, fish parent? :)

I'd put it on its side. I put a drinking glass in my baby ranchu's tank while she was in QT and I wondered about the backwards swimming as well. She did it :)

After a few tries she learned how to navigate the glass quite well.

I too would put it on its side. There's more room horizontally vs. vertically and I would worry, just in the off chance that, the vase being glass, if it were to get tipped over, it could break and leave sharp glass that, in water, you wouldn't necessarily be able to see to clean it all up.

Guest Katherine

You should put it on its side. I have a similar setup in my 55g tank (a 1/2 gallon fishbowl on its side) and my goldfish spend a surprising amount of time in it. When they aren't in there, the pleco loves it too. :yeah:

Edited by Katherine

I've never seen a fish swim, err backwards... I guess what I'm trying to say is, would they struggle to swim out of it? I've seen pictures (I think from BeancurdTurtle) with a similar set up. Any suggestions? Or am I just becoming an ultra paranoid, fish parent? :)

My Godzilla (a sarassa comet) is a champion backwards swimmer. :D Her favourite hiding spot is under the internal filter and the easiest way out of it is by swimming backwards. I have some ceramic pots (to small for her to turn in as they were ment as a hiding spot for the little ones) on their side in the tank and she loves to check them for leftover pieces of food that she might have missed during her last search. This gives the lovely sight of a ceramic pot with a very long tail sticking out. Sometimes I suspect her from swimming backwards as a way to get extra food, "see how cute I am and what I can do" :D

I too would put it on its side. There's more room horizontally vs. vertically and I would worry, just in the off chance that, the vase being glass, if it were to get tipped over, it could break and leave sharp glass that, in water, you wouldn't necessarily be able to see to clean it all up.

Wow...thts an awesome point Lynda...I myself have been planning on getting a vase or such for my fishies...thts gr8 thinking...yeah I would keep it sideways too...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question..about putting a drinking glass in QT for Sunshine..the filter is splashing the water..cannot raise the water level any higher..and she loks disturbed..can I introduce any drinking glass in there??..it is a clear glass...but would it harm the water in anyway...something I shud treat it with before introducing??..any do's or donts???..I am very skeptical abt trying anything new here...cos am outta luck totally..but I want her to rest...

I would think it would be fine just make sure it's rinsed really well so there is no chance of dish washing liquid residue being on it.

thanks for replying Kathy...its actually brand new...not even out of its packing yet..I am worried abt any powder coating or any chemical that is on a new piece of glassware..cud it stay even after thorough rinsing???..I can soak it in hot water or even boil it...anything I shud do???

If you have any viniger you could wash it with that and rinse good.

:( ..no vinegar at home...but I can get it tonite...alrite done..I ll do that and rinse it really well..thanks so much Kathy... :) ...