Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jennkerry

Green Surface Floating Algae, Normal?

Guest Jennkerry

Hey guys!

Hope everyones summer is going well, and my heart goes out to all of those who have experienced recent tragedies in their ponds.

We have been very lucky, no deaths and the pond has matured very well in its first year. Ok, so my question is:

During the heat of the day, we get green surface floating algae that normally either ends up in my skimmer or dissapears after the sun begins to set. Depending on how hot it is that day will depend on how much will pop up. I often see more after a good rain too. So, is this normal? Its very very green and fluffy, you can actually pick it up.

But does anyone else get this type of algae and is there anything "NATURAL" other then plants and barley to add to help remove it?

Yep, that is pretty normal at my house too - I usually just skim it off with a pond net before my daily feeding. What I find strange is that it doesn't appear an all my ponds. I have 3 alltogether, and the algae is only on 2 of the ponds. I don't have plants or barley straw in my koi ponds, so taking it off every day is what I do. Plants never made it very far... :whistle

Guest Jennkerry

Yes yes, I know what you mean! My front pond never had that problem either. GRANTED its in an area that receives only about 5 hrs of late afternoon sun. The large backyard pond is at least 10 hrs in the sun.

I think in my situation, thats the reason why its happening, many hours of sun. I thought that if the hyacynths and lily pads took up more surface space it would help out. Yea, not really.

Im glad to hear that Im not alone and that Im not doing anything wrong.

Guest fry

I don't know whether anyone else can confirm this.

But I had this problem earlier in the summer, caused by the choice of head / angle on my pond pump.

I changed the head and I didn't have the problem again.

Though the algea doesn't look appealing, it is in fact, the sign of a good pond eco-system and is totally normal. We get 3 types in our pond depending on the time of year.