How To Keep Water Cooler For Goldfish

since i have moved my tank temp is been in the 80s now. I have keep my temp for the Ac at 80 just like my other place and the tank never got above 75 degrees. I have no clue why its almost 10 degrees hotter now. Any way how can I drop that temp. I see there are chillers but $300 dollars is way too much money for me right now. If there is no other way to drop the temp at least 10 degrees I will have to get ride of them. I have a room fan and I have set it up where it blows on the tank but it doesnt drop the water temp at all. It a tower fan. Someone suggested I put frozen water bottles in the tank I can get the water temp to 75 but its too unstable that way.

I do have a 3 yr old child and a Cat so I really need to keep the lid on the tank. My cat hasnt even given the tank a 2nd look but who knows what she does when I am not home most of the time she is still in the same spot when I get home as were she was when I left.

My tanks runs in the 80s for most of the summer, too. Lights and electric equipment add heat.... they just do.

Temperatures in the 80s are not a big worry. The big worry comes from the fact that warm water holds far less oxygen than cool water. As the temps heat up, the fish may have more and more difficulty getting the oxygen they need from the water - and start gasping at the surface. To counteract this problem you need to incorporate more oxygen into the water. I do not worry about the temps, too much, though.

You have done well in adding a fan - depending on what sort of lid you have, you may be able to open it a bit. Take the lid off the back of the HOB filter if you can. Lower the level of the tank water a touch - so that it splashes more. Add more oxygen features - they will pull the water up from the bottom to the top where it gets more oxygen.

If you really wish to cool the water, you can add a plastic bottle full of frozen water. This, dropped into the tank will cool the water. The problems with it are:

1. In a large tank you need soooo much ice to even lower the temp one degree that it is not practical.

2. The ice starts out as too cold, then gets warmer and warmer - does not keep a consistant temp. Chilling and heating the fish each day is stressful. Far better to simply keep it more or less steady.

3. ICe water can be detrimental to plants that it touches.

4. You still have to incorporate more oxygen in the tank - with or without cooler water. It can hold more, but you have to introduce it!

Donot panic over 80s. Just take a few simple measures and watch for the fish's distress and address it if it happens. All should be good.

:)

I have had a lot of success with a small 6 inch clip-on fan purchased at Wal*Mart for $6.00. I clip it on a bracket on the wall behind the tank and it blows on the filters and a few square inches of open space on the back of the tank. It keeps the water temperature at a steady 75 degrees (whereas without the fan the water temp is about 83). The only disadvantage of this approach is that it dramatically increases water evaporation -- in my 75 gallon tank the water level goes down about a half inch per day. This is easy to replace, however, with a bucket between water changes.

• Admin

My tanks get hot too sometimes, I let one side lid open, then have a celling fan that i turn on, I also if it gets up to 80F will place a fan like others have mentioned to blow across the top of the tank :D

since its been hotter my 2 have been more floaty so to say I tried the frozen water bottle thing but it dropped the temp to fast and was not steady. I have a 20 gallon with 1 that has the wen on its head forgot what they are called and 1 regular fantail with weekly water changes at least 30 % maybe more I dont meaure the ammount of water I change. 2 hob filters one aqua tech that came with the 20 gallon and a aqua clear 70 that does 300 gallons and the water level is down about 2 inches or so. there is no light on the tank as the gold fish always tried to hide from the light when I turn it on so I took the light off and put it on my 55 gallon for the tropicals since the light went out. I really hate to keep the top open thougt but dh decided last night to put a his small table fan on top and open the lid and the temp has droped from 77 to 73 since this morning. Will using the fan keep the water steady?

Is it possible that I can take off the aqua tech filter and get a clip on fan and put it there so the whole lid isnt open. Will just using the aqua clear 70 filter be enough filtration for now and the when summers over and I dont need the fan I can add the aqua tech back on?

I have been wondering about high temperatures as well. My tank starts out at 78*F and climbs close to 80* by the end of the day. I have the lights on for my plants and they are only on for 12 hours. Thanks for the information daryl.