Changing/losing Color

Guest davonsage

sometimes goldfish can just change color. i have a fantail that was lemondrop yellow when i got him and now, after being in a pond in the backyard for a while, he's totally orange. i would watch carefully and make sure there's nothing else going on with your goldie (no bottom sitting, cloudy eyes, strange behavior) and enjoy the adjustment your goldie is making. :)

Guest davonsage

IMG_8380.jpg

Here's a picture :) The whole fish used to be orange, like its tail.

I did see it floating near the bottom of the tank, but I just thought it was normal.. the eyes don't seem cloudy and I haven't noticed any strange behaviour. It's also starting to turn a little red/pinkish near the top, if you can see it in the picture.. Bad sign? :(

Edited by davonsage

Assuming there is nothing wrong with your fish, and it is just a normal color change I would say you are lucky!! I am hoping that my one orange/white oranda will lose her orange!! I want her to be a lemonhead so bad. Although I love her just the way she is! Keep an eye on her and if you see bad signs that seem to signal a sickness fill out the lovely questions at the top and then someone can help figure out if and what is wrong with her. I hope it's just a color change though.. She's beautiful!!

Wow! That's a really interesting picture. I have seen my fish change colors before, but never in such a uniform way. How "slowly" has this change occurred? I agree with everyone that this may be a natural color change, but to be on the safe side; please fill out the following questions located in the box above. If there IS something wrong with your fish (I hope not!), answering these questions will provide us all with more information to figure this out... :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Guest davonsage

So some fish just change colors just like that? Now that I think about it, it happened realyl quickly. I'd say about 1-1.5 weeks from the first time I noticed it to today. It started around the bottom and gill area, then just spread to the whole fish, except for the fins and tail. She looks kind of albino to me now :) I'm still quite worried about the pinkness showing through the scales around her spine.

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

7.6 pH

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

Strips

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

10 gallons and I've had it for about 2 years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

Aqua-Tech

EZ-Change Filter Cartridge

for Aqua-Tech 5-15 Filters

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

Every two months. Completely.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

1 inch

2 inch

3 inch

4 inch

4 fish in all

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Aqua Safe Water Conditioner

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

no

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

no

[*]What do you feed your fish?

TetraFin Goldfish flakes, Nutrafin Max Goldfish Color Enhancing Pellets, (used to use Wardley Algae Discs for my now dead algae eater)

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Not that I can see

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

stays at the bottom for a bit, until i turn the light on and feed them

Sorry that I can't test the others. Seeing as I do not have the money to buy test kits from the pet store, I don't know what to do.

If purchasing a test kit is currently out of your budget, I would strongly recommend taking a sample of your water to your pet store and have them test it for you. When you do this, ask them to give you the exact readings in numbers; such as Ammonia: .25 ppm, in lieu of Ammonia: safe. This way we can really see what's going on in your tank. You will need results for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH.

As it currently stands, you have x4 the amount of fish recommended for your tank size. If you've been reading around here, I'm sure you've seen the "rule of thumb" of 10 gallons per goldfish. Many of us (myself included!) came to Koko's searching for answers when our fish became sick due to overcrowding. Personally, I had 9-12 fish in a 30 gallon, which should have only really housed 3 fish; this situation was disastrous, to say the least.

Also, do you know how many gallons per hour your filter cycles? It should have this information on the pamplet that came with the filter. If that's not readily available, the information can be found online.

I see you change your water completely every two months. Do you do any partial water changes in between these large changes? If not, I would recommend doing at least 25-50% water changes at least every other day. Without a test kit it is nearly impossible to see what's going on, and I strongly think this situation is due to water quality.

I think your fish's color change (as dramatic and rapid as it is) is unfortunately a call for attention. I'm not 100% sure, but I think color loss can be a sign of stress. I'm going to check into some older posts and see what I can find about this.

Here's some links about fish changing colors. I can't seem to find much information about this, but I'm confident this can be a sign of stress. :(

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=24218

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishColors.html

From what I gather, this situation can be taken care of by bettering your water quality. Hope that helps!

Edited by Desiree

if you dont have the option of getting a larger tank right now, rubbermaid totes work amazingly well and they're fairly cheap too. i fill it up and stick a filter and an airstone in and VIOLA! new tank. :) i would say for now, do a large water change (like 80-90%) and see if you can get a rubbermaid up and running to give your guys a little more room. i would also check the other fish for any signs of illness...scales that look a little funny, bumps where there werent bumps before, inflamed areas on the body or gills, red streaks in the fins (may be hard to see in orange or darker fishies) etc. one way that i look for that stuff is to turn all the lights off and make the room dark and then use a flashlight to spotlight them...its the best way ive found to see if anything is wonky with my fish. im still hoping that once you get the tank thing straightened out that you have a white telescope...its a gorgeous fish! fingers and fins crossed for you!

Guest davonsage

Thanks for the information, Desiree. I'll get water samples tested as soon as I can. I don't see why she would be stressed out all of a sudden. Nothing new has happened in the past few months. I love your fish, by the way! Lionheads, right? I have one as well, but it's not nearly as rounded as yours. Another question as well: Do fish normally have symmetrical color patterns? Like.. would one side look nearly identical to the other side of the fish?

Thank you, Liz. I'm pretty sure my parent's won't let me set up a rubbermaid tote, but I'll try to convince them to! My pearscale seems to have a few scales that seem shinier than the others, but other than that, I don't see any other problems with them. And I think my fish is a demekin, is it not? It doesn't have "long flowing fins" like it says on the Types of Goldfish page :)

Edited by davonsage

I don't see why she would be stressed out all of a sudden. Nothing new has happened in the past few months.

Your tank is quite overstocked. Goldfish like yours need 10 gallons each, and you have 4 in 10 gallons right now. The reason for this large gallon need is that goldfish are very dirty (meaning they poo A LOT). This means that they produce a lot of ammonia. In a cycled tank (read more about the nitrogen cycle here) the ammonia gets eaten up by nitrItes, then the nitrItes get eaten up by nitrAtes. In between water changes, the nitrAte levels can rise to dangerous levels, and this will put stress on a fish. When a tank is overstocked, it is hard to keep the water parameters at safe levels.

So, this is why waterchanges are very important, and why goldfish need 10 gallons each. For now, try to follow Desiree and Liz's advice: 25%-50% waterchanges every other day, and look into getting a larger tank or a rubbermaid tub. Sometimes you can find cheap used tanks, if you keep an eye out. Craigslist.com is a good website that people on this board use, and try looking in the classified section of the newspaper.

I hope this helps! :)

Edited by Petperson04

it can also be because of the different food you feed it and water conditions from the place u got it, or just its genetics. its normal and its not a bad thing ;)

Hello and welcome. I see that the girls are giving you very good advice already so I will just add a couple of things for consideration.

As already stated, it is common for fish to change colour. Red Capped Orandas often loose their red cap and orange comets are known for turning white. Black to orange or orange to white are typical changes especially if the fish has been kept indoors and without full sunlight.

However, these changes are normally gradual and it is less common that they happen in the space of a week.

In the case of the colour change signaling a problem, it can lighten in response to several factors

Water quality must be checked before anything else.

Next evaluate background stress factors; changing PH or toxic water parameters, aggressive tankmates, infrequent water changes, or overstocking/crowding. All these factors cause stress which in turn surpresses the immune system leading to illness.

When fighting an illness or an infection some fish turn very pale. So look for other signs of illness like redness, lethargy, or loss of appetite, etc.

A heavy thickening of the slime coat can also leads to a loss of color. If you look closely, does it appear that there is a veil of white covering her body?

I don't see why she would be stressed out all of a sudden. Nothing new has happened in the past few months

In realizing that the tank is 4 times overstocked and that water changes have only been every 2 months we can see that the fish will have been stressed for quite a long time rather than just suddenly. The bacterial levels in that small space will have climbed very high and the fish eventually reaches a point where it becomes overwhelmed.

Post back with the water readings as soon as you can get them and follow the advice on increased water changes to relieve the fish of toxicity.

Guest davonsage

It won't let me edit my post for some reason..

Anyway, I wanted to say that I did save some water samples, before I changed the water, so I could get it tested. Just in case someone was gonna get mad that I did a water change before I got it tested ;)