Helping Mods Or Helpers Know They Are Needed

Hi ~~~

I've noticed a little problem that affects several of the forums. Questions sometimes don't get answered because the people who know the answers don't know there are still questions. Guilty-->me<--Guilty of posting after the questions and hiding them up the chain.

I think I have a solution. I started doing this after I saw that it was happening to me. My questions sometimes didn't get answered until I reposted the question.

Whenever I post after the questions but do not have the answer, I "quote" the questions, tell them I don't know, but someone who does will be by. I just wanted to say......

Or if I have a question along the same lines as what the threader had posted, I "quote" their questions and then add mine.

Sometimes, especially if it's a wisecrack or off topic, I'll wait to post until their questions have been answered, that way if they have more questions that will become the latest post.

By doing this, the people with the knowledge can see when they click on the latest post that there are questions from the posters. This may make it easier on the mods, especially in areas like 911 or diagnosis and disease.

Maybe a pinned thread with the heading... "Please Read This Before Posting" and have a list of proper board etiquette do's and don'ts for that particular forum. Maybe that would help the mods from getting tons of PMs too. Guilty-->me<--Guilty

Whatcha' think?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Not sure about this. If people keep bumping threads the threads get really, really long and I know many helpers/Mods/other people are sometimes put off wading in with gumboots to a thread already 3 or 4 pages long :hide: . I think the shorter threads tend to get answered more quickly just because long threads take 15 minutes to read and in that time we can answer another 6 or 7 threads..if you follow my gist.

I think once a Mod or helper has "appeared " in your thread its safe to assume that same person will check back. I mean that's what I like to do. I use my profile to click on last posts and check that way. I don't check the recent posts until I have checked up on each and every of my last posts...

Having said all this Roni, I apologise personally for having been very absent and distracted the last week here (moving house and so on), for not answering PMs promptly too, and I know that several other Mods are also tied up with high pressure stuff right now. There are lulls and times when threads dont get help from Mods and helpers but there are also hundreds of expert members here who do very well at helping out and have enough experience to cover most bases. Its at times like these we really need and appreciate enormously their help :)

I know being a mod is work. (I am one on a different board) And you need to take some time away from time to time cause frankly we get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. Or at least I do.

So if you want what you could do is put a link in your reply to the post already made about the question with the answer. :unsure: Whew that was a mouth full. And maybe encourage the person to read the forums and the great articles Koko has for us.

I've never pm'd a moderator and not gotten a response. And one of Koko's pet peeves is one of us answering a post with "I don't know how to help you but a moderator will be along soon." :wa We've gotten the Koko stick for that! Her point is that if you can't help the poster, then don't bog up the thread with useless posts. Especially in the 911 and D&D threads.

If I'm involved in a thread and it starts to get beyond my knowledge or is turning into an emergency situation, I simply say I'll try to get you some help. Then I'll pm a mod and ask them to look at the thread when they get a moment. I've never had any of the mods ignore this SOS.

If its a new thread and I cannot help, I just leave it for the more knowledgeable people here who CAN.

I don't think its a good idea to mess with the posts because as Trinket said, many of us are kind of put off by threads that are pages and pages long. Your first post asking for help in Emergency or D&D should be answering the info questions and trying to be as brief as possible. Whoever is trying to help you, whether it be a Mod or Helper or one of us, will ask questions about anything else that is pertinent.

Right now Pixie is off on holiday and Imogen is involved in personal matters, and Tinkokeshi also has some things going on that keeps them from staying on the forum for hours. Everyone else including Koko herself is trying to cover. Everyone just has to be patient.

I've never pm'd a moderator and not gotten a response. And one of Koko's pet peeves is one of us answering a post with "I don't know how to help you but a moderator will be along soon." :wa We've gotten the Koko stick for that! Her point is that if you can't help the poster, then don't bog up the thread with useless posts. Especially in the 911 and D&D threads.

Thanks for letting us know that! Now I am wondering "how many times have I done that???".. I usually try to only respond if I can help in SOME way.. Like getting the water parameters up in the meantime. Or having them start a water change... If I see a thread that I've got NOTHING to offer, I try to stay away.. (Try.. to say I've never jumped in would be a lie.. but I try)

Now here is a good exception. What about the times you get someone who's freaking out.. Saying things like "WHAT IS NO ONE HERE TO HELP??". In THOSE situtations I KNOW I have said "I'm sorry, please be patient.. a mod will be here soon.." blah blah.. That's okay I would think yes?? Just to let them know someone is out there, it's just a busy day?

I also know I am guilty of yapping, especially when it comes to people I know. A good example of that is lately with SunshineGirls thread.. (Hi JC!!) Because of all her fish problems, following the same path as mine, I've become really invested in her case. At this point, I am running out of advice, but we've been talking so much that I can't help but say a little too much.. Like "good job, keep it up, be positive".. I know sometimes it clogs up the thread.. Basically, if I do something wrong, it is certainly not intentional, and if anyone sees it, just tell me! Cause I WON'T be offended.. I want to do things right.. When I first got here, I wrote to Joy and said "do you think I am jumping in too fast?" and asked her to tell me if she thought I was.. Recently when I started posting in D&D & 911 more, I wrote to Lynda and said "keep an extra eye on me... since I'm new at this and I don't want to do anything wrong, or miss something".. So just for the record.. if anyone sees ME sticking my nose in when it shouldn't be, or simply doing something wrong..just tell me : )

Oh sweetie I don't think anyone minds you coming in on any thread. You are always so kind and encouraging. There for awhile, before you got here (can I even remember the forum before you, Lynda, and Kirsten were here?) it got pretty bad with people answering a 911 or D&D thread with "I don't know how to help you but a moderator will." Koko just said she was seeing a lot of that and it was getting on her nerves. I was one of the culprits, thinking that I was helping just letting them know that someone was there. Now, if a poster is panicking, I do the same thing you do and just try to calm them down and suggest water changes, which is the first thing anyone should do in an emergency situation. Or I'll just say "I'll try to get you some help" and pm a moderator. Koko just brought this up because at least 50% of the answers looked like that. She NEVER would mind anyone just trying to be kind and reassuring.

When it comes to meds I almost never suggest anything but salt. I don't know enough about them and it would kill me to say something incorrect. Lynda and Kirsten both are very smart about meds and they are pretty good at diagnosing too. I just try to help with basic advice and if it gets too technical, I holla out an SOS!!!! :exactly

Oh no! Let's read Sue's post and put my name on it. I'm in the same boat. I mean, most the time I'd like to think I'm helping, in one way or another... but, I've definitely been known to say "someone will be along soon, etc"-- in an effort to keep a post visible and "bump" it. Oops! I've really been around long enough to know better. Well, feel free to reign me in if I get out of line. :ignore

There for awhile, before you got here (can I even remember the forum before you, Lynda, and Kirsten were here?)

I knew Kristen came here just a few months before me, but I thought Lynda had been around forever!!! It says she joined a while ago, so I just assumed she was always an active member.. : )

Oh no! Let's read Sue's post and put my name on it. I'm in the same boat.

Hopefully if I am okay, you're okay Desiree.. Cause me and you are pretty similar!!! : ) But if I go down, I'm taking you with me LMAO

::hanging head down::

I'm sooo guilty, and I feel really bad that I made others feel bad. I just wanted to help because I've seen people start new threads when their questions weren't gotten to for one reason or another.

I know mod have their own lives, I used to be one on another forum that's why I thought this was a good idea.

I apologize to any and all that might have felt slighted or if I was out of line with this topic. So many people out there have helped me. When I first got here, being told that a mod would be by and everything was going to be okay made me feel better, not so alone and scared.

This is the best place for our fish as well as friends. I have made a few since I first came here. These people not only have helped me care for Elvis, but they have helped me as a person too. I just want everyone to know that I appreciate all the help I have been given and feel like this is my second home now.

: :hug :: and ::kiss:: to ALL!

Aww Roni - you didn't make others feel bad!!! And I don't think you were out of line.

Actually I think this topic wound up being helpful.. I think it kinda set some extra guidelines as far as the do's and don't's.. Made me think about the things I LIKE that I do on the board, and the things I want to change...

I think everyone knows you were only trying to help... : )

Oh my gosh Roni, you didn't make anyone feel badly or slighted at ALL! And it is kind of uncomfortable when you see someone start a thread or ask a question and all you hear is crickets chirping, lol. I always tried to chime in and say something to let them know that someone WOULD be along, but...

We are just having a moderator shortage here lately as they are all off doing things. I'm like you and I hate to see someone's questions go unanswered. So hugs back to you, and don't worry. You had a very good idea and its great that we can all talk about so much!!

And Sue, I'm not sure HOW long Lynda has been here truthfully. Seems like forever, though. :D

Edited by vickielm

Oh my gosh Roni, you didn't make anyone feel badly or slighted at ALL! And it is kind of uncomfortable when you see someone start a thread or ask a question and all you hear is crickets chirping, lol. I always tried to chime in and say something to let them know that someone WOULD be along, but...

We are just having a moderator shortage here lately as they are all off doing things. I'm like you and I hate to see someone's questions go unanswered. So hugs back to you, and don't worry. You had a very good idea and its great that we can all talk about so much!!

And Sue, I'm not sure HOW long Lynda has been here truthfully. Seems like forever, though. :D

Lynda's been here for a little over 2 years now, and I agree. Both Lynda and Acupunk are very knowledgable and sweet dear people.

If I'm involved in a thread and it starts to get beyond my knowledge or is turning into an emergency situation, I simply say I'll try to get you some help. Then I'll pm a mod and ask them to look at the thread when they get a moment. I've never had any of the mods ignore this SOS.

If its a new thread and I cannot help, I just leave it for the more knowledgeable people here who CAN.

I don't think its a good idea to mess with the posts because as Trinket said, many of us are kind of put off by threads that are pages and pages long. Your first post asking for help in Emergency or D&D should be answering the info questions and trying to be as brief as possible. Whoever is trying to help you, whether it be a Mod or Helper or one of us, will ask questions about anything else that is pertinent.

This is what I do. If I get involved in a thread that seems simple enough, I'll start trying to help, but if it gets beyond me, I'll tell the person to just hold on for a bit and tell them I'll PM a Mod. I let the person know that the Mod is busy but they will get my message and they will get back to them as soon as they can. And they do. Conversely, if I start reading a thread and it's already beyond my scope, I just steer clear. But, I do that out of selfish guilt. lol! I hate getting involved in something where I know I can't help and the person is freaking and the fish is sick and I can't do anything, so I just hide from all that in the first place and then I don't feel bad! lol! Just a chicken s**t.

There for awhile, before you got here (can I even remember the forum before you, Lynda, and Kirsten were here?)

I knew Kristen came here just a few months before me, but I thought Lynda had been around forever!!! It says she joined a while ago, so I just assumed she was always an active member.. : )

I FEEL like I've been around forever! lol! :tomuch: Nah, I got on here, yeah, over two years ago, when I started having trouble with fish and when the last one died, I got so depressed with the whole thing, I just disappeared for a while. But, then, I kept seeing those angelic little faces in my dreams and wanting them back in my life and it kept eating at me, so I came back full force and really got involved in every way this time.

::hanging head down::

I'm sooo guilty, and I feel really bad that I made others feel bad. I just wanted to help because I've seen people start new threads when their questions weren't gotten to for one reason or another.

I know mod have their own lives, I used to be one on another forum that's why I thought this was a good idea.

I apologize to any and all that might have felt slighted or if I was out of line with this topic. So many people out there have helped me. When I first got here, being told that a mod would be by and everything was going to be okay made me feel better, not so alone and scared.

This is the best place for our fish as well as friends. I have made a few since I first came here. These people not only have helped me care for Elvis, but they have helped me as a person too. I just want everyone to know that I appreciate all the help I have been given and feel like this is my second home now.

: :hug :: and ::kiss:: to ALL!

Stop it! Stop it right now! We are not Jess. We are not looking down on you and we are not judging you. You do not ever need to apologize for yourself. Not to us, not to anyone. You had a good suggestion to make and you have the right to make it regardless of how it plays out and you have the right to be proud of yourself for making that suggestion.

EXACTLY!!! Roni, you made the suggestion out of care and concern for people who post questions that don't get answered! That is a valid concern, as people are likely to panic and start doing things they shouldn't to try to get their fish better. Thats how I ended up here. Too small of a tank, overmedicating because of lfs advice, and I almost killed Moby. As it is because of my ignorance he has a wartlike cosmetic tumor on his back that will never go away. But he still is an active, healthy and beautiful goldie thanks to the help I got here.

We do not accept your apology because it is unnecessary. :bingo: You're a fantastic member here and everyone's suggestions are welcome. Hey, at least you had one, lol! :bighug