New Fish Damaged During Shipping

Guest Ajno

Thought I wouldn't have to post here for a while. I bought a fish last week and it arrived on the 23rd (wednesday).Set up a 20 gallon cycled qt and acclimated the fish. After releasing it in the tank I noticed right away that it had buoancy issues. Like it sits on the bottom with its head down and when it did swin it seemed like it couldn't stop and would crash into the walls of the tank. I contacted the shipped and they suggested salting the tank. I currently have it a .3 and have treated for flukes. The fish had not improved and I again conacted the shipper and they informed me it may take time for this fish to recover and it was fine when it let their place. So the fish is about the same. After it had been a few days I fed a few peas to see it that would help. No change. Currently I feed 2-3 medigold pellets 2x a day and half the time the fish doesn't finish it so I clean the uneaten food out so there isn't water water quality issue. Today I did a water change and noticed that there is poop that looks like it has blood in it. So I am looking for a little help with this one. I am at a total loss.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 8.0

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?8.0

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)100ish

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallon just over a week

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? AC 300

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?50 percent every 3 days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 4 inch ranchu

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]Any medications added to the tank?Prazi and salt

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?no

[*]What do you feed your fish?medigold

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? little bit of blood streaks in fins (has improved),bloody poop

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?poor appettite,swimming problems

Edited by Ajno

I had an issue like this a few months back with a fish that I bought from Dandy Orandas. My fish was also a ranchu. The symptoms I saw were resting vertically in the corner of the tank with the head down, crashing into tank sides while swimming, struggling to maintain neutral bouyancy, and just generally looking depressed.

I monitored the situation for ten days and sent Ken videos of the fish every couple days to update him. He was great through the whole process. He said that bouyancy issues can crop up in round bodied fish after shipping and that it usually has something to do with air pressure changes during air travel. He said that every time he gets a new shipment of fish from China he has a few nail-biting days to wait before the fish sort themselves out. He said in his experience the vast majority of these issues sort themselves out with time, but there are a very few fish that seem to be permanently damaged by shipping. He assured me that if my fish did not recover that he would take care of me.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the fish eventually recovered and she is just fine now. In her case, the social isolation of being in the quarantine tank seemed to be a big part of the problem -- when I moved her into my big tank she perked up almost immediately and started swimming normally (I am not saying that you should cut your fishes' quarantine short, however).

I do think it is worrisome, however, that your fish is passing bloody poop. If you have not done so already, you should contact the shipper and notify him of this development.

Unfortunately, its not from Dandy Orandas. Just by the last conversation the vendor said well it was fine when it left my place. So I am going to keep doing what I am and hope he perks up. He's a very beautiful fish and I had plans for him. The fact that he doesn't really eat either has me concerned. Maybe tonight I'll give him a pea or two and see if its because he doesn't like Medigold. (I'll keep him on the medigold for the 2 weeks)The only good thing is the red streaks in his tail are going away.

Yes, I am aware that your fish is not from Dandy Orandas. I just mentioned my story to point out that shipping-related bouyancy problems do sometimes resolve on their own. But I would agree that it is worrisome that your fish is not eating.

I wonder if your fish might have worms? Some goldfish importers keep their fish in outdoor ponds, and a worm infestation can cause bloody poop and bouyancy problems. There is a pinned thread in the D & D area about worms. You might find some useful info there.

I'll look at it. I went to check on him and he has a string of clear poo with bits of blood in it coming out. so I'm positive on that problem. I think I will drop the vendor an email and let them know about the new developement.

I tried to feed him some peas. He went after them like he was starving, chews them up and spits them out. I grabbed him and checked his mouth and found nothing. The tank is still being treated for flukes so not sure if thats the reason why. If anyone has any ideas I am more than willing to try them. Thanks

this may or may not apply to your new goldie as he's got other symptoms too but if you happen to have any seaweed laying around maybe its worth a try? i have one goldie that just absolutely will not eat peas. i dont know why but he puts them in his mouth, chews them a little and spits them out. but, the little bugger will eat as much seaweed as i put in the tank. it seems to do the same thing as peas and cleans him out...he's just not a pea eater i guess.

Just a couple of things to mention here:

Firstly, when you are feeding med food you must not feed anything else alongside as it undermines the action of the antibiotics - only feed MGold until the course is finished.

Spitting food is a very common symptom of flukes, so the fact you are treating for them is good. Are you using Prazi? If not, tell us which treatment it is.

Keep the water perfect with regular large changes (this helps contain bacterial levels) and post back with any further info.

Yes I a using prazi and change 50+ percent of the water every 3 days. I haven't seen this fish eat in several days thats why I tried a pea to see if it would eat it otherwise I end up vacuuming out the uneaten food. I am on my way to work and will try to feed it when I get home.

We'll this fish still hasn't eaten. I am very concerned. His wen is shrinking, I assume its from lack of food. I have treated for flukes for almost 2 weeks so it can't be flukes. I do not own a microscope so can't see if there's something else wrong. He still has swimming issues. I am tempted to do tub to tub method, but I don't know if it will help. I am really thinkingI am going to lose this fish.

I am a newbie and I really cannot help...but I truly truly hope he gets better..I just wish someone more knowledgeable and experienced member/moderator can look into this matter :unsure: ...don't lose hope..

Well..I have been treating my fish for Ich...and in the course of treatment..I read and was advised by the members to keep the tank in the dark...I wrapped the tank with a fresh blanket and have kept it away from any kind of light for long periods of time...It is said that a shade or a bit of darkness provides some help to the fish to overcome stress...also a quiet surrounding helps...it does work..my fish nap for a bit and then get some good rest..tht way it has helped them to perk up a bit this evening..I am not so sure in your case...but I am just trying to help..maybe you could try this..it definitely would not hurt...

Edited by SunshineGurl

I was advised by one of the moderators..to feed the goldfish and try something new to see if it eats it...when they are sick feeding is important so that they can really fight their weaknesses or diseases...

Trinket advised the following

"Food is very important when a fish is sick. Nutrition builds strength to fight disease. Fish usually lose appetite though when they are not feeling well. They can change their interest in food so its worth being imaginative. Offer different foods but be sure to remove them soon if they are not eaten.

Some things my fish usually enjoy when sick (or as treats) : frozen mysis and brine shrimp, Krill, softly boiled and shelled peas, kiwi and steamed brocolli flowers cut into fish mouth size pieces.

Also I always throw old commercial bought food when a fish is sick. It doesnt keep after opening longer than 4 months or so anyway. Brand new food is packed with vitamins and nutrition (and then it gradually loses it as the air and damp reaches the food.)"

u can find the original post here..http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71625&st=20

All I am trying to say is try something different....maybe he finds something interesting to eat and then starts getting better...boiled spinach or lettuce...or orange, kiwi..or boiled veggies..

HI Anjo! I just now caught your update!!! It's a difficult time right now, some of the moderators are away and or very busy right now.. I'll try to add a few things in the meantime.

First of all, can you please test your water immediately and post your results?. You say you have been changing 50% of the water every three days. That's a good start. Adding the new fish may have caused a bump in your cycle. The ammonia and nitite can creep up rather quickly. I am uncertain what kind of test kit you are using. A drop test kit is the most accurate (like API Master Test Kit). Right now it is important that you test your water DAILY, and do water changes based on those test results. That could mean daily water changes of 75% or more.. (That's what I am doing right now)

I'm also concerned about the changes in medications. As Pixie said, once you start with medicated food, you must finish the course.. It sounds like you have started a course of medicated food, then stopped, then added new medication to the tank. Have you checked your water parameters before adding the medication?? One rule we must always remember is to maintain perfect water quality first, and never add medication without first knowing the water parameters. Medication + ammonia =toxic water to the fish. IN addition, your PH is on the higher end.. Not a bad number at all (mine is 8.2), but medications can be twice as toxic in water with high PH.

Please post your results as soon as possible, and we can take it from there. : )

Ok here goes.

My water results are ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates are 0. I did a 100 percent water change today. The tank is a 20 gallon with some media from another tank.I due use API dropper test kit when I test the water.As far as changing the medication is because the fish has not eaten in about 10 days. So if I put food in there all it did was foul up the water. Thats the reason why I am using water antibiotics. General Cure has metronidazole and praziquantel in it. If they don't work, I'll be using kanamycin another antibiotic I can use in the water. I have no problem with changing 100 percent of the water everyday if I have to keep the quality good.

Edited by Ajno

As I mentioned above ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates are 0 due to a 100 percent water change earlier.

Thanks

I apologize, but reading through before your thread I can't see where you mentioned that earlier. Just the readings in the inital questions. Now it is showing up afterwards : ) And it looks like you edited your post so there must have been a mix up of some sort.

Now I am editing!! LOL Any chance you took readings before the water change?

As I mentioned above ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates are 0 due to a 100 percent water change earlier.

Thanks

I apologize, but reading through before your thread I can't see where you mentioned that earlier. Just the readings in the inital questions. Now it is showing up afterwards : ) And it looks like you edited your post so there must have been a mix up of some sort.

Yeah I was trying to answer the questions of your previous post. Like answer each question underneath. It didn't work. I apologize if I sounded like a poop. :rolleyes:

I apologize if I sounded like a poop. :rolleyes:

That's okay! LMAO I was looking back thru thinking "did I miss something?!". No worries.

And just in case you didn't see it, I edited MY post as well. At this point I can only recommend you keep up with daily tests and water changes and hope someone else comes along that can be of more assistance.. Good luck! : )

Quick update. Went in to check on him and he seems to be improving. I put a pea in there in case he wanted to eat last night and saw chewed pea in the foam on the filter intake. But this morning I found a pea colored poo. The box says to do another trearment in 48 hours which will be tomorrow afternoon. If he gets to eating better which med food do you suggest?

ohhh..thts gr8 news..I am so glad he is getting better...I don't know if you want to give him Med food..which is actually needed for new fish...what everyone suggests is MetroMeds..you can order it from goldfishconnection.com....they even take orders on the phone and you can request next day or 2 day shipping over teh phone..they just let you know when you can expect the package and get ur credit card info...Actually there is a combo special of MetroMeds-Jumpstart...tht is a full course if you want to feed med food to fish...But I wouldn;t do anything unless someone confirms you using those..However you can order them and judt let them stay packed and handy, just in case you need them...Moderators/members have told me that if not opened those med foods have a good shelf life..So order it and be prepared...just don't use it unless asked to..I have ordered mine for 2nd day shipping..and am expecting it on friday...MetroMeds-Jumpstart for 19.99 (or just MEtroMeds for 11.99) and shipping another 23$...a lil expensive but truly worthwhile...MetroMeds has a very good rep of saving fish... :)

Oh..and just to save you some time...This is from www.goldfishconnection.com and the product is http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details...159&catId=5

"If you have any questions about your order, send an e-mail to rick@goldfishconnection.com and place: goldfish,goldfish in the subject line or call (814) 864-3908 between 10 am and 3 pm EST. weekdays. This phone number is for orders and order problems only."

Edited by SunshineGurl

Here's my thoughts. Everything seems to have started when you got a new fish, and he was having possible swim bladder problems. Then salt & prazi was added (very good). Then medi-gold, was started and stopped. (I do understand though that the fish wouldn't eat it). Then General Cure was added. Then you considered adding in another kanamycin . Then are trying to switch BACK to a medicated food. ..(One of the ingredients in MetroMeds is actually metronidazole, which is in the general cure you are giving them now). I'm thinking that all the switching of meds is not a good thing. Switching from med to med may only be making this situation worse.

Shipping the fish caused stress. He need time to adjust to his surroundings and new home.. The salt & prazi was added as part of a normal QT procedure.. But maybe starting on Medi-Gold and then the general cure was just jumping the gun, and now you trying to go back to a different medicated food. All the different meds in a short period could be taking a toll. (And the fish may not have needed meds in the first place, just a little time to adjust) Maybe we could get back to basics here. A fresh 100% water change, salt, prazi. (test results first. I know you just did them yesterday, but it's always important when using meds to keep testing daily. Meds can disrupt the cycle, and we must be sure the cycle is safe). I'll get you some help from a moderator. Then they can let you know whether to continue with the general cure since you already started it, or not. How does that sound?

• Admin

Okay this is just confusing.....

Just tell us the meds your using now, and how the fish is doing and the water quality so I can get a good idea of what is up to date now :D

Here's my thoughts. Everything seems to have started when you got a new fish, and he was having possible swim bladder problems. Then salt & prazi was added (very good). Then medi-gold, was started and stopped. (I do understand though that the fish wouldn't eat it). Then General Cure was added. Then you considered adding in another kanamycin . Then are trying to switch BACK to a medicated food. ..(One of the ingredients in MetroMeds is actually metronidazole, which is in the general cure you are giving them now). I'm thinking that all the switching of meds is not a good thing. Switching from med to med may only be making this situation worse.

Shipping the fish caused stress. He need time to adjust to his surroundings and new home.. The salt & prazi was added as part of a normal QT procedure.. But maybe starting on Medi-Gold and then the general cure was just jumping the gun, and now you trying to go back to a different medicated food. All the different meds in a short period could be taking a toll. (And the fish may not have needed meds in the first place, just a little time to adjust) Maybe we could get back to basics here. A fresh 100% water change, salt, prazi. (test results first. I know you just did them yesterday, but it's always important when using meds to keep testing daily. Meds can disrupt the cycle, and we must be sure the cycle is safe). I'll get you some help from a moderator. Then they can let you know whether to continue with the general cure since you already started it, or not. How does that sound?

Oh...I am sorry...I didnt realize the fish was fed medicated food and then back and forth..I wouldn't have advised anything...I jumped in only so that Ajno would know what brand of medicated food to rely on...

That said...as Koko has asked for the details...would be gr8 to go ahead from there and provide all the details... :( ..(this is confusing...) :)

The fish is being treated with General Cure. It has metronidazole and praziquantel in it.I have one more treatment to do which will take place Thursday afternoon 7/7/08. It was being fed medigold but quit eating 10 days ago. So since he showed an interest in food I have been feeding a pea.He ate half a pea last night. He still has trouble at this point because I find chewed up pea stuck on the filter foam. My question was what to feed him when he's able to eat?