Is Gel Food Suppossed To Look Like This?

Franky

• Admin

One thing I learned about gel food is not to add water to the food, unless its the gel your trying to mix in, then make sure your food is hot when you mix it in and let it be hot for 5 mins then let it cool :D

• Admin

Mine will look like that before I add the gel to it, then when I add the gel there isnt water standing like in your pic cause I let it get hot and keep stirring it for 5 mins to let the water steam out of it. :D

You have to much water in it. I would boil it and add more gel to it. :)

It's either too much water, or the food wasn't hot enough when you added the gelatin and it didn't dissolve well enough. I've had problems both ways. And as it's both lumpy and watery, it could be either problem. But, whichever it is, the trick to getting gelatin to set is having the food hot enough to dissolve the gelatin. You can also re-heat it in the microwave.

My first batch looked like that but didn't set at all....it was horrible :P

Great tips koko, I think I'm going to have to try and make a new batch soon (when the bf is out, I wouldn't put him through that smelly ordeal)

• Admin

My first batches were bad, it wont say they were perfect. I learned from just trying over and over....So less water and make sure its hot when you add the gel :D

cool it finally cooled down and it is so jell*oyyyyy! my fish loved it! they ate it all. how long does it last? :idont

Well, consider it's fresh food, so it's not going to last very long. The best suggestion is to cut it up into daily sized chunks and freeze it. Then, when it's the day to feed the gel food, take out a chunk ahead of time and let it thaw. That way, it lasts for a long time.

• Admin

Well what I do is cut it up, then put it into freezer bags that last 3 days then put them into the freezer so I can pull out what I need for 3 days :D

Miki and Isilme's first try was a succesful one (I did my part by getting the pizza (for us, not the fish :rolleyes: ) while the girl was busy :P ).

Below are two pics from what it looked like while they were at it :) .

DSC03708.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

And I'm glad it worked out for you :D .

Edited by Erinaceus

Hehe, looks like pudding :druel

Erm, it's like you read my mind :blink: . This is what it looked like after it was finished (after the bubbles has escaped), exactly like chocolate pudding (though I'd seriously question what kind of chocolate was used for making it) :D .

DSC03713.jpg

Edited by Erinaceus