I've Been Offered A Free Tank!

Tinkokeshi

ok i'll probably just do that then. =)

i'll have to clean it out real good then and head over to the ocean floor to buy stuff.

good thing it's not too far from school! :D

so if it's a 12 gal nano, do i need 12 - 15 lbs of live sand, and a small live rock?

i read in some books and websites that it's about 1 to 2 lbs of sand per gallon, but it's a small tank so it seems that 2 lbs of sand per gallon is too much.

and they also said for the rock to not touch the sides of the tank so if anything grows on it, it doesn't limit the room by banging into the tank sides?

i'll head over to the fish store and ask them too.

they seem to be pretty knowledgeable in regards to reef and marine tanks. :)

• Admin

When I had mine up I only got a 10 bag of live sand and it did just fine...I personally like enough sand to cover the bottom about a 1/2" to an inch of sand...anything more than that it gets problems :( algae.

Yep the rocks shouldn't touch the sides, mostly cause they will scratch the glass or acrylic :(

Make sure you get some Calcium and Alk liquid too, this will help it cycle and get the purple algae you will need too :D

mm kay i'll dig through the cabinet upstairs and see what goodies we've already got.

i know there's a lotta stuff in there like a water testing kit and lots of additives..

i'll make a list sometime and post back. :D

this is so exciting!!!

so i have a question about mixing sea water.

i know i have to use purified water, so the water from the RO system at home will work,

but if i wanted to set up my 125 at home as a reef tank, how would i go about mixing all that water and having it ready?

because when i purchase live sand and live rock, don't i want to have the water ready?

do i mix it in the tank until it has the correct salinity, then go out and purchase the live sand and live rock?

(this of course isn't going to happen any day soon since i don't have filters, skimmers, etc and what not, but just something i thought i should figure out first. :D )

• 2 weeks later...

that's weird... i typed up a reply, and it disappeared when i posted!

well...

yesterday, my freshmen students and i visited drs foster and smith to pick out some possible inhabitants of the tank...

i figured i'll keep it simple and wait till i set up my 125 at home for a reef tank.

anyway, so they narrowed it down to the following choices:

hatchetfish

bettas

neon tetras

and red swordtails

so when i got home yesterday...

i went about feeding my fish and i noticed that my lyretail mollies had babies again.

so today when my students got done with their classwork,

i offered them the options again... with the additional option of raising molly fry.

that way they could watch the fish grow up and see all the stages of maturity.

they were ecstatic!

so tomorrow i will be bringing some molly fry to school. :heart

in other news...

i've been eyeballing our "outdoor classroom" as a place to set up a pond.

haha it was originally planned to be an area the biology teacher can use to set up a greenhouse, aquaponics or hydroponics system...

it's on the 2nd floor and is locked so only teachers can access it. students can get out there, but a teacher has to let them out there.

here's what it looks like from my side of the building...

IMG00273.jpg

a closer look...

IMG00274.jpg

and it's got two covered outlets and a drain... perfect for setting up a pond! :lol2

IMG00275.jpg

• Admin
so i have a question about mixing sea water.

i know i have to use purified water, so the water from the RO system at home will work,

but if i wanted to set up my 125 at home as a reef tank, how would i go about mixing all that water and having it ready?

because when i purchase live sand and live rock, don't i want to have the water ready?

do i mix it in the tank until it has the correct salinity, then go out and purchase the live sand and live rock?

(this of course isn't going to happen any day soon since i don't have filters, skimmers, etc and what not, but just something i thought i should figure out first. :D )

Well there is a short cut...if you can. I have a LFS here that sells pre made salt water for me, some places have a vendor water machine out side or they will have it ready for you inside. I just have 2 5 gal jugs that I fill up from there to do my water changes. If you want to mix your own I can look that up for you since I havent done that.

The first thing is to get salt water and RO water, then the first thing in the tank is the sand, then rock, then slowly add salt water test the salt and then add RO water and test again. After awhile its easy to know how much of which water to add :)