Sign in to follow this  
kusackaid

Pig Has A New Home

The flower world about 45 minutes away from my house has agreed to take pig, my last remaining common, and place him in one of their ponds. He will have other fish to play with or bully as he wants, as well as lots of passerby to try and beg nonexistant food from. I was very pleased with the knowledge level of the staff there. The first thing I heard from them was "I don't know if we can take fish because of the possibility of diseases spreading to our fish". Then they asked why I wanted to give him up. After learning it was his size they said they would consider it. Two weeks later they gave me a call and said they would take him.

So today we took him out in a bucket and saw where he would eventually be placed. It is a beautiful pond with 4 seperate pools connected by waterfalls. There are other goldfish in 3 of the pools, and 2 turtles in one of them. The pond is in the "indoor" part so it will be kept warmer in the winter and there should be little to no risk of racoons getting any of the fish. All the other fish are about half the legnth of pig, but well fed, fat, and happy cruising amongst the pond plants. I have pictures of the pond. You can see some of the fish hanging out under the plants.

I am sad that pig wont be in my room to greet me every morning begging for food. But on the other hand, I am very happy that he should now have real room to swim around, and other fishy friends to hang out with. He has never been as perky since he was put in a tub by himself. He really needs to have other fish around to compete with. I am also happy to have found a home that knows about the needs of the fish...and I can go visit any day I want to.

Pig was the last of the first fish I still had here. The others I brought home with him got put up for adoption over a year ago. I had him for over 4 years, but he has grown too big to be kept in any of my tanks. Without the room for a 100 gallon tank, or permission to dig a pond in the backyard, I felt this was the best alternative to giving him a good home he can live out the rest of his years in. Right now it still hasnt set in that he really is not here any more. By tomorrow I will know how hard this really hit me.

No matter how wonderful the thing is that you do for someone or something, when there is love, it still hurts when you have to let them go. But, yes, it is that bittersweet love, though some day, the bitter part will be filled with the sweet. Wishing you happiness and Pig's continuing good health and long life!

It is sad you had to give him up, but what a wonderful home you found for him!

I hate to think of where my fish would have to go if I had to move or something, there's nowhere like that around here. I'm sure he's going to be very happy in his new home :heart

Aw. But you are a good owner to have thought through Pig's needs and whats best for him. Sounds like a nice life ahead for him and fish do like company :)

Hey, thats really great too that you can drop by and see him sometimes!

thank you for doing that for your goldfish. i don't know if i could have done it, but you're an awesome fish parent for being able to let him go.

Wow that's pretty amazing that you would put his needs first like that... It sounds like he is going to be in a BEAUTIFUL home and be very very happy... I am impressed that you were willing to give him up to give him a better life.. That's very sweet & caring of you! I hope you get to see him often! : )

Awww...thts so beautiful..I don't know if I would ever be able to do that...wow that needs a lot of courage...do visit him.I am sure he will remember you...and I totally understand the feeling you will get every morning without him...but that is an awesome gesture...I am so happy for Pig...a wonderful life ahead...and wish you luck...

Oh thats soo sad I would cry if I had to get rid of my fish. I love them all dearly, but What can you do when they get to big? Im sure he will look great in that pond. One day you should go there and visit him. Mabe sneak him a pea or two. I cant wait to see pictures!