What Substrate Do You Use For Dojos And Goldfish?

Guest Moose

Guest Moose

Hi! (:

I was wondering if those with weather loaches could tell me what kind of substrate they use with the loaches? I read they need small substrate or sand. I know sand is out with the goldfish... I saw someone posted pictures, and of course I can't find the thread now and they only had some small stones at the bottom but not enough to burrow in...(All I remember is "little fatties" and Piranha, Jaws and...Casper possibly so if that person is around...)..but hey seemed rather happy. I really don't like gravel so...

What kind of substrate do you guys use?

Thanks for reading. (:

I have standard aquaruim gravel in my tank that has both dojos and goldies. So far none of my goldfish has gotten any stuck in their mouths, but I know some others have had this problem with it. The dojos weren't able to burrow in this gravel when they were smaller. Now however, I regularly find one or two of them buried up to their wiskers and eyes.

Any bigger of pieces and your dojos wont be able to burrow. Bigger would remove the choking hazard for the goldfish though. Another alternative is to put a cave of sorts in for your dojos to hang out in. I have coconut huts that are half a coconut shell with a door and a second smaller hole drilled in them to allow access and waterflow. When my dojos arent buried in the gravel they are usually piled up in one of the huts.

Another alternative is to put a cave of sorts in for your dojos to hang out in. I have coconut huts that are half a coconut shell with a door and a second smaller hole drilled in them to allow access and waterflow. When my dojos arent buried in the gravel they are usually piled up in one of the huts.

They just need to hide, so anything that gives them a place to hide will do the trick. So, any sort of rock cave, hollowed log, the coconut shell, etc. would work fine.

Guest nimajneb

I have Dojo's and a fantail GF. As I have more Dojo's than GF I have sand so I watch closely the fantail. However if I had realised the needs of both types before buying I probably would have gone with a gravel. As mentioned, they love to hide so as long as you can create a couple of places for them to do so I would probably go with a gravel substrate. I think I will when the opportunity arrises to change over.

• Admin

I have 2 Albino Dojos and my tank is mostly barebottom, just a few flat marbles and plants. They both swim around happy and play with each other. :D

• 2 months later...

Is it true that Dojo's will get out of a tank if possible. My tank has a glass top that covers MOST of it. But there are two open areas on the back on either end.

Yes they well. As far as supstrate goes I was thinking of getting some playground type sand and putting it in my goldfish bowl that is my 75 gallon just for the dojos. I am getting three they well be here next week. My goldfish well be out of the QT tank by then and then they can go in that for a couple weeks. Since I am ordering them onlline and they are going to be small enough my goldfish can eat Ill well QT them for at least a month.

Think a bowl with sand well be enough for them?

I cut some of that plastic stuff you can get from the crafts area and coved most of the back. Hoping it is enough. Only place not covered is where the water comes out of my HOB. I hope to replace that with a canister right after Christmas and seal it up the rest of the way.