Emerald Cory Rubbing Himself On Rocks

I posted this in the tropical fish section and didn't get a response so I'm trying it here:

My emerald cory Whiskers was searching for food on bottom of the tank this morning when I noticed him quickly turning on his side and rubbing on the river rocks. He did it a few times. It looked like he was scratching himself. I've never seen a fish do that before. Is it parasites? That's the first thing I thought of. I'm doing a round of prazi just to be sure. I got him 3 days ago so I'm not sure how he normally acts but he is kinda lethargic though he has been eating.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? N/T

Nitrate level? N/T

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.6

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55g 1.5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear 110/500gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once a week/50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 red oranda,3.5in, 1 calico fantail, 3in, 1 pearlscale, 2in, 1 black moor, 2in, 1 peppered cory, 2.5in,

1 emerald cory, 3in

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquarium salt, seachem neutral regulator

[*]Any medications added to the tank? prazi

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? The emerald cory 3 days ago

[*]What do you feed your fish? Aqueon flakes, peas, bloodworms, freeze dried shrimp

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? Quickly turning on his side while swimming and rubbing on a rock or ornament.

No I didn't QT him and I really wish I would have now, all of the other fish are acting normal and healthy. I can't get nitrite and nitrate tests at this time due to lack of money. I actually haven't seen him rubbing on anything for a day and a half now but he's not swimming around much and sticks to the corner even during feeding time. Is his rubbing behavior what they call flashing? I always wondered what people meant by that.

Fish will usually flash (take off and rub on the gravel quickly) when there is something irritating them. A lot of times it is caused by Flukes in new fish or fish that have never been treated. Prazi is the best treatment for this and all new/untreated fish should be treated with Prazi. Generaly it is done it QT so you don't infect the rest of the fish. If not you must treat the whole tank. Do you have hidding places for your corys? What is the current like in your tank. Corys are very shy when not in groups of at least 3.

Edited by dkisosondi

Fish will usually flash (take off and rub on the gravel quickly) when there is something irritating them. A lot of times it is caused by Flukes in new fish or fish that have never been treated. Prazi is the best treatment for this and all new/untreated fish should be treated with Prazi. Generaly it is done it QT so you don't infect the rest of the fish. If not you must treat the whole tank. Do you have hidding places for your corys? What is the current like in your tank. Corys are very shy when not in groups of at least 3.

I went ahead and treated the whole tank cuz I had a feeling it was flukes. I QT'd all my goldfish before adding them for some reason I didn't even think about it when I brought this new cory home. I have plenty of hiding places and calm areas in the tank. Right now I've got the emerald cory and a peppered cory and I'm getting another emerald on Tuesday next week in the hopes that they'll school with each other. I'll make sure to QT the new one. He hasn't been flashing anymore since Wednesday so hopefully it was just flukes and the prazi is taking care of it. Thanks for the reply. If I notice him exhibiting strange behavior again I'll post it.