My Fish Has A Coating Over His Eye And White Junk On His Tail

Guest elchaseo

Guest elchaseo

A friend of my sisters gave her a goldfish for her birthday about 6 months ago. While my sister is good with animals she is notorislly forgetful, and so we ended up taking care of this fish. He has been healthy for the whole time but revenlty i've noticed a lack of appitite as well as a coating over his eye and some white stuff on his tail. I've been reading other posts trying to figure out what is wrong but i have no idea, my fish expierence is limited i didn't even get to talk to someone when it was purchased so, how do i test for ammonia level and nitrite nitrate level ph and all that jazz. He lives in a ten gallon tank (he out grew his bowl at incredible speed) i don't know about filter name or size. We don't change the watter near often enough, just the one fish in the tank no medications we feed our fish flakes. Hes not eating and staying mostly still though not on the bottom of the tank. Please help me.

Hello elchaseo and welcome to Kokos!

Ok, the first thing you need to do is to read this link:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

This explains how to have healthy and happy goldfish. You need to go to the lfs (live fish store) and buy a drop tester for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, and ph. This is absolutely essential to keeping fish. You have to keep tabs on the water. If you can't do this right away, you can take a sample of your water to the lfs and have them test it for you. Please have them give you the exact numbers, not just if your water is okay or not okay. Please don't let them sell you any medications or try to tell you what is wrong with your fish without them seeing it. Its impossible to diagnose a fish that way, and they are in the business to sell you more fish meds and accessories.

You need to buy dechlorinator and conditioner for the water, but I am assuming you may already have this. If you do, you need to do an immediate temperature matched large water change. This will be a great start. You stated that you don't do water changes nearly enough. If you want your fish to survive, this will have to change. Water changes are essential to the life and well-being of your fish.

Right now we're going to assume that your tank is not cycled. What does the "white stuff" look like? Does it look like grains of sugar or salt? Does it look like slime? What does the coating look like on your fish's eye?

What type of goldfish do you have? Is this a common (single tailed long body) or is it a fancy (double tailed and rounded body)?

We are going to need you to get your water tested, but in the meantime if you could copy and paste the box on the top of the page and answer as many of the questions as you can, it would be a big help!

Post back soon, ok?

Edited by vickielm

Guest elchaseo

Its a fancy goldfish i suppose. It looks like little white tears on the edge of his tail. Like dry skin i suppose but only on the edge. Over the eye is like cracked glass that is mildly opaque. Um... what is a common (as in branch) fish store that i could go too, i live in the middle of nowhere and don't know of any nearby fish stores so this will be an all day event, but poor little flipper is worth it.

It looks like little white tears on the edge of his tail. Like dry skin i suppose but only on the edge. Over the eye is like cracked glass that is mildly opaque.

i'm not as experienced as most people on this forum, so please don't act upon anything i say until you do what the others on this forum are asking you to do, because they know what theyre doing, and i'm just a beginner =].

but i would just like to observe that what you described with the tears on the edges of the fins and white cracks over the eye...this sounds exactly like what happened to my black moor when my pH crashed and went very acidic, causing acid burn on the fins and around the eyes.

so i would definitely suggest testing the pH...

but only until you test it should you treat this as a pH crash because it could very well be something else, and we wont know until you test the water for all of the things vickielm posted above.=]

just hoping to help.. sorry if me posting on here was out of place "/ feel free to tell me to zip it if i am :)

I agree justkeepswimming pH crash is a BIG possibility. Elchaseo, not much we can tell you for 100% here without water readings for pH/ammonia/nitrites and nitrates but I will tell you one thing and trust me on it. Daily 80% water changes for your fish every day for the next week will perk him up no end and possibly cure him. During this time perhaps you can get the test kit and post back with more details and an update... :)

No one's going to tell you to "zip it" justkeepswimming. :D

Everyone's input is welcome here! :exactly

i just felt a bit uneasy because i was afraid you didnt want to jump to conclusions until he tested the water.

i feel much better now though :D

glad i could be of some kind of help!

Guest elchaseo

Hey thanks so much for the help. I think it very well may be a ph problem. I'm going tomorrow or the next day to semi local (as in within 50 miles) pet store to get a test kit. We changed about 40 percent of the water and he is already looking better. His fins are back out, and his tail is looking healthier. The only problem is that his eye is still a little glassy, and behind his eyes it looks like he has scrapes or dry skin in between his gills and eyes. The more i look at it the more i would say it may look like a burn of sorts and the skin is peeling but he definetly looks healthier after water changes. I'll keep changing water everyday, and see how he does, and i'll try to get a ph test as soon as i can. Thanks so much I would hate to lose my little buddy.

the best thing to do right now like trinket said is to do 80% water changes everyday until you can get the water tested, and if you discover that it really is a ph problem, the best thing to do (what i did when i had this problem) is to take your fish out of the water and get him into a bucket of clean, temperature matched, dechlorinated water, and dump out all the water from your tank, doing a 100% water change. this is assuming that your tap water is at a normal ph , and if so, then that will help get your fish back in shape.

Edited by justkeepswimming

• 2 weeks later...

Elchaseo, how are things now with your fish? Were you able to get a test kit, and what did it show? With pH issues, it is always best to test every day for a couple of weeks, and then you'll recognize a pattern. It is also best to test before and after water changes, as well as testing the tap water itself. :)