Painting My Room...

i will be painting my room some time next month and was curious whether or not the fumes may affect the water/my fish. my tank does not have any kind of covering so the water will be openly exposed. should i try to move it to a different room while the painting is going on? and how long after i paint should i keep my fish out of that room, because the paint takes awhile to dry?

do you have lots of venilation ??...you could get a temporary rubbermaid and put the filter on and move your fish to another room while you paint .& cover the tank and do a large wc before putting them back in :)

What she said :D .

Seriously, your fish might not react well to the fumes when they are taken up by the tank water, so it would indeed be safest to remove the fish while the paint fumes are present. Even if the fish are not present, the fumes might stick to the tank and cause some trouble afterwards, so be sure to clean the tank (a thorough water chance should do the trick). Also, it might not be good for your filter's bacteria so if you can, it might be useful to move it along with the fish. If you can it might be useful to cover the tank with some plastic, to spare it from most of the fumes (and spatter maybe).

All this is just 'worst case scenaria' thinking: it's possible the paint fumes will harm neither your fish nor your bacteria, but as far as it is doable, I always say 'better safe than sorry' :) .

Good luck with the painting. Me and girlfriend are currently busy with our house, putting up wallpaper and painting, among other things. It's always fun to behold the result of your hard work afterwards :D .

All this is just 'worst case scenaria' thinking: it's possible the paint fumes will harm neither your fish nor your bacteria, but as far as it is doable, I always say 'better safe than sorry'.

Definitely better safe than sorry. Move your fish into a tub with the filter. If the tank isn't that big, maybe you can just move the whole thing, but if you can't move the tank, definitely make sure to cover it with a big sheet of plastic or cloth.

thank you for all the replies =]

my tank is only 10 gal so i think i will just move the entire thing.

hi-d, im not sure what you mean by ventilation...i do have two windows in my room though...

erinaceus, thanks for the luck, its going to be my first time actually doing it myself, so it should be fun :D

lynda, good idea about the sheet/plastic over the tank, i might do that when i put the tank back in my room for a couple of days, just to be on the safe side ^_^

thank you for all the replies =]

my tank is only 10 gal so i think i will just move the entire thing.

hi-d, im not sure what you mean by ventilation...i do have two windows in my room though...

erinaceus, thanks for the luck, its going to be my first time actually doing it myself, so it should be fun :D

lynda, good idea about the sheet/plastic over the tank, i might do that when i put the tank back in my room for a couple of days, just to be on the safe side ^_^

air flow :D ..but I would move the fish myself

I just painted my living room and kitchen where the tank is. I put Moby and Florence in a 10 gallon bucket of their tank water with the filter and airstone and placed them in the bathroom. They were in the bucket for about 4 hours and they did great. :D