Baby Oranda Suddenly Not Doing Well

Guest anatanokao

Guest anatanokao

I can't find my test strips at the moment, but it's the Mardel brand and I tested yesterday and everything was good. No nitrates, no ammonia, pH was good.

I have a 50 Gallon tank with 2 ryukins, 1" and .75", and my oranda, .5". I have a Fluval 405 filter, it is meant for a 70-100 gallon tank but I went for the big one since the goldfish make so much ammonia and waste. I changed the water on Saturday and I usually do gravel vaccuuming every two weeks with a water change. All these fish are brand new, bought at the same time from the same place last Thursday. I use NovAqua+ conditioner. This tank was cycled for four weeks before the fish were put in. I feed my fish TetraFin Goldfish Flakes that have been soaked for a few minutes in tank water before given to them.

Now my Oranda was normal this morning, I watched him eat just fine. So I left at 13:00 and came back around 15:00 and he was acting weird. He is kinda listless and his dorsal is down. He will swim for a little bit and will stop and float. What's wrong? The other two ryukins are swimming around just happy and healthy. I can't see anything physically wrong with him, but here are some pictures. Please help.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/DethZyth/2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/DethZyth/3.jpg

Sorry links aren't working, I'm new.

Edited by anatanokao

Hello anatanokao and welcome to Koko's! :)

There is a box at the top of the page with a bunch of questions. If you could answer as many of them as possible, it would be easier for everyone to help you. Just copy and paste the questions.

One thing is you need to get a drop tester. Strips are very inaccurate and don't give a very good reading.

Another thing I noticed was that you said you change the water and clean the gravel every 2 weeks. This is too infrequent as like you stated, goldies are terrible waste makers. A 50-60% change weekly with a 100% monthly would be better as it keeps the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites down from not only their body waste, but from the deteriorated food and poo in the gravel.

When you got the fish home, did you treat them with praziquatel? Almost all fish come home from the lfs with flukes, and these will damage your fish's gills very quickly. Prazi won't crash your cycle, and it is the only medication that will kill flukes and their larvae which will hatch out of the gravel. Since you got all 3 fish at the same time and put them in the tank without other fish, it wouldn't be necessary to QT them, but they do need to be treated for flukes and any other parasites that they have hijacking on them from the other fish in the lfs.

You also stated that the tank was cycled for 4 weeks before you added the fish. Since you did a fishless cycle, did you continue to keep the cycle going until you added the fish? I'm not questioning your cycle here, I just always wondered how that would work if you cycled without fish and didn't add them very quickly after you started showing nitrates. Just curious about that.

Please post back soon with the questions in the box above! :)

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

Your fish are probably suffering from new tank syndrome. Unless you were adding ammonia to the tank during the four weeks that you tank was empty, you were unfortunately not doing anything to establish a biofilter during that time. Test strips are quite unreliable, so I would recommend that you get a drop-type test kit soon. How much water did you change on Saturday?

Through experience we have found almost all pet store bought goldfish are infested with flukes. For this reason, fish should be treated with prazi (available from Drs. Foster & Smith or www.goldfishconnection.com) in the first few weeks that you have them. A 0.3% salt solution (3 teaspoons of salt per gallon of water) will take care of all the other common parasites. You should work up to the 0.3% salt in three doses -- 1 teaspoon of coarse grained salt per gallon of water dissolved first in a separate container every 12 hours. The salt will also protect your fish against cycling related stress.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hello 'yourface' - (anatanokao in Japanese right?) and a big welcome to kokos :exactly

Vickie and Acupunk are right about QT treating. We need to know your tank readings too. I see your fish has a few spots of ich on his tail and this needs treating with salt fast. Post back and we can talk you through that.

Guest anatanokao

Okay I answered those as best I could vickielm, I just didn't do it that form, but here I go:

[*]Test Results for the Following: Don't know, can't find strips and not going out for another test kit because its a 20 minute drive to the nearest pet store and if I go there I want be getting something for my fish.

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 50 Gallon, 4 weeks cycled, did the pure ammonia thing and added media from another filter.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Fluval 405, for 70-100 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? I changed the water Saturday, just got the fish last Thursday.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3. 2 ryukins, inch and half and oranda a quarter of an inch

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? NovAqua+ and did 3 days of aquarium salt 1 Tbs for every 10 gallons

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? All three are new

[*]What do you feed your fish? Tetra Goldfish Flakes that have been pre-soaked. They would be getting Hikari if they would surface, but they are being silly

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?Nothing physically wrong I can tell

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? The oranda is acting listless and will swim a bit then stop and float. His dorsal is down which is what made me worry because I left the house and he was fine and I came back and he wasn't. He watched him eat this morning. He was also went and hid in the giant Buddha head, but is back out again.

Guest anatanokao

My hubby is home now and he is moving out the corydoras after their trip in the infirmary tank for fin rot (they had it when we bought them, we felt sorry for them). He's doing a water change in the infirmary tank and getting it ready for the baby oranda. Does he really have Ich?

I can see some white spots on his tail. Hiding and listless is also very typical of parasites - more so on a new fish.

You dont need to treat him separately. Whatever he has all the fish have beeen exposed to. You need to get yourself a water testing kit (it is absolutely essential for setting up with goldfish). You need to know that ich and all parasites are very, very easily transferred to other tanks and that your tropical fish are at risk unless you bleach or sterilise equipment like syphons etc.

Having said that, salt is a miracle tretament and add prazi into your QT regime and you can't go wrong. There's a link how to salt in my sig and we are all here for you, if you have any questions at all.

Guest anatanokao

Well my hubby and I are looking and we think those dots you see is part of his tail. You mean the ones on the bottom edge right? I mean we looked hard. I've seen Ich before and know what it looks like. His tail is kinda funny and deformed. I have Maracyn Two, Jungle Parasite Clear tablets, and aquarium salt. Where do we go from here? I've heard the positives and negatives of salt and I'm kinda on the fence of whether it works or not. And now suddenly as I look over baby oranda is moving around much more and has his dorsal up...-.- Was he faking it? Should I still go through with it? lol silly fish. I'll get a testing kit next time I go off base, but I'm not driving 20 minutes for a test kit. 40 minutes, really.

• 2 weeks later...