Do Goldfish Throw-up?

scaring

Elvis is a 10yo comet that is 5 and a ha;f inches long and just recently began eating new foods. Everytime I feed him peas (two small frozen sweet peas, thawed and seperated into halves.) a couple of hours later I have to do a major water change because it has bit of pea floating in it and it's really cloudy. Is this normal? Am I feeding too much or is he throwing up because he can't handle it?

Cloudy water like you're describing is usually because of fish diarrhea. Perhaps you should cut back to one pea or even a half a pea and see what happens.

Are you cooking the peas? They need to be soft.

OOOEEEWWW. Gross me out Kristen. I think I will cut back to 1/2 pea at a time.

They are soft Pixiefish. I wash my hands good then hold them between my fingers until completely defrosted. I try to make him take bites, but he usually can grab a half pea all in one gulp.

Could the peas I feed him every couple of days be the reason he hardly has anything in his poo sacs?

But you're supposed to cook them first. 45/50 secs in the microwave with a bit of tank water. They are too hard to digest raw - that's maybe why he chews and then regurgitates.

Try cooking them and see if there is some improvement.

But you're supposed to cook them first. 45/50 secs in the microwave with a bit of tank water. They are too hard to digest raw - that's maybe why he chews and then regurgitates.

Try cooking them and see if there is some improvement.

ok. but like Kristen said.. only half a pea a day? or more, like one half am snack and one half afternoon snack?

Also, what about the poo, could that be why? Trinket and I have been trying to figure out why his growth is getting bigger and his poo sacs are so empty.

Pixie, when I've been feeding peas I defrost them by running them under the sink in my hand like Roni does then I microwave them on a little plate for about 45 seconds, but I've never added tank water.. Is that bad???!!!! I didn't know you had to put them in water. I'll start doing that from now on though.

Hello and sorry I'm late.

Uh - well, as far as cooking the peas goes, I usually cook them in tank water as I think cooking them alone tends to drive the water out and dehydrate them a little.

Half a pea per day may be rather little depending on the fishes size - how large is he now?

The cells in the intestines respond to anything which is passing through them. Empty castings can be indicative of several things; it is usually a symptom of irritation. The response to irritating foods or even parasites is that the gut mobilizes immune cells. The result is mucous which tends to be colourless, thick and sticky - rather like the mucous we produce when we have a cold. It is the immune system's attempt to arrest pathogens. If the castings are white however, it tends to be evidence of dead white blood cells which indicates infection. That said, I think that trying to diagnose by poop alone can be misleading, which is why it is important to assess other aspects of the fishes health; slimecoat, gill colour/function, vitality etc. and food eaten.

Is there anything else in the way of symptoms you could identify?

Pixie, when I've been feeding peas I defrost them by running them under the sink in my hand like Roni does then I microwave them on a little plate for about 45 seconds, but I've never added tank water.. Is that bad???!!!! I didn't know you had to put them in water. I'll start doing that from now on though.

I boil them for about 2-3 minutes in some tank water...I let them stay in warm water for at least 5 minutes before feeding them the peas...well the tank water just makes sure, no chlorine gets added to the peas from the regular tap water..its being extra cautious..and simply microwaving made it hard for me..maybe the peas were in there for a longer duration..but they kinda dried up..so boiling or microwaving the peas in some tank water is just easy for me and also on the babies to digest.. :)

Hello and sorry I'm late.

Uh - well, as far as cooking the peas goes, I usually cook them in tank water as I think cooking them alone tends to drive the water out and dehydrate them a little.

Half a pea per day may be rather little depending on the fishes size - how large is he now?

The cells in the intestines respond to anything which is passing through them. Empty castings can be indicative of several things; it is usually a symptom of irritation. The response to irritating foods or even parasites is that the gut mobilizes immune cells. The result is mucous which tends to be colourless, thick and sticky - rather like the mucous we produce when we have a cold. It is the immune system's attempt to arrest pathogens. If the castings are white however, it tends to be evidence of dead white blood cells which indicates infection. That said, I think that trying to diagnose by poop alone can be misleading, which is why it is important to assess other aspects of the fishes health; slimecoat, gill colour/function, vitality etc. and food eaten.

Is there anything else in the way of symptoms you could identify?

Yes. I've been taking pic all day trying to get some decent ones to show what is going on. I am beginning to upload them now to post for Trinket at http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=71247. I would welcome any info you can add as well. I'm beginning to get a little concerned about him again.

As far as the peas and veggies go, he is a comet that's 5 and 1/2 inches long, and he is 10 yo. I prob have been overfeeding for years, a pinch at am and pm of flake. Since joining here I have switched to Hikari Gold, with peas and broccoli. I tried beet greens, but he didn't like them and just made a huge mess in his tank. Once a week or so I will give him a pinch of flake, or as Acupunk puts it, some hamb and fries. How much do i feed him, on all three please? How much broc, peas, and pellets?

I was once told no more than the size of the eye and once a day. That seems like so little. Especially since he is in a very naked tank. Let me know. :)