Goldfish Loosing Color

lauchiz

Hi! Well I had my goldfish for about 4 months already and I've noticed that from bright orange his color has started to fade to just gold or just shiny-white.... I don't know if this is normal I mean it is a "gold"fish so maybe it's ok but I just got 2 new goldfish as a gift and they are very orangy so is my fish sick?

or is it the food? or something????

I would be very gratefull for the help

Fish's colors just change sometimes. :idont Sometimes you'll start out with a black or brown fish, and they may gradually change to orange. I wouldn't say that this is a sign of a sick fish.

Things to make sure of: goldfish need 10-20 gallon each, a filter that pumps (tank size x 10) gallons per hour (or gph), and make sure you do regular, sizeable waterchanges (I suggest 50% a week). One more thing: make sure your tank is cycled.

And keep reading and asking questions! :thumbs:

Thank you for your answers... Jonah has a ten gallon tank and as of today new friends... Now he started biting the tail of one fish, is this sign of agression? maybe he is just scared :unsure:

Now I that I have 2 more fish I should clean the tank more than once a week???

YES, clean much more than just once a week with 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank! Probably 50% three times a week? That's just an estimate. Try to keep your nitrAtes under 20 (you know what I'm talking about, the last bacteria in a tank's cycle?). Your tank is now greatly overstocked. This means you should either return two fish, or get a 30 gallon tank as soon as is possible. If a tank is out of the question, rubbermaid storage containers with a filter stuck on the side work well as temporary housing.

Um, as for the aggression question.... I don't think it's a sign of a scared fish... perhaps he is territorial? Plus, 10 gallons of tank space really is just too small for 3 goldies for more reasons than one. The fish won't develop to their full potential, they don't have as much room to swim around, it is much harder to keep water quality in the safe range, etc. So Jonah is probably

feeling cramped with his new mates.

Do you know what kinds of fish you have? Because this can affect the amount of water each fish needs. Single-tails

[like this ---> red_common_goldfish_2000-1.jpg Need 20 gallons each, and fancy or

double-tailed goldfish [like this --->acs.jpg Need 10 gallons each.

Edited by Petperson04