Peach Or Offwhie Pearlscale

bettaqueen

I got a new baby pearlscale and she is a color I have never seen before. At times she looks off white or white and then other times a pale peach color with Big black solid eyes.Anyone else seen this color before?

that is a good name for them. Hmm he kinda does look like sherbet . I am going to try to take a pic tonight. hopefully he will show up in it.White fish do not photograph so well. I had a white betta that was hard to get a good photo of

I think my baby pearlscale is the same color, kind of a light orange peach and white. In fact that's the reason I got him cuz he was such different color than the other ones!

That's what I thought about my pearlscale! She was apricot color and white and reminded me of the creamsicle ice cream (orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream). Creamsicle didn't make such a great name, I thought, so I named her Apricot instead.

Here is Angel. Keep in mind the pic is blurry and it does not show her almost white color with a slight peach wash . I was using a camera phone . She also does not stay still very long so hard to photograph a moving target.

post-8446-1217433314_thumb.jpg

There is a scale presentation in goldfish that is called "matt". They are being seen more and more frequently, recently. A matt-scaled goldfish lacks the guanine bodies - the stuff that makes the scales "shiney".... guinine normally being deposited both on the skin and on the inner surface of the scales in a metallic-scaled goldfish.

Fish with guinine deposited on the skin, only, can give off a pearly type sheen..... fish with no deposits will appear to be almost "transparent" - a "pinkish" color overall. The matt scales may be interspersed with a few "regular" metallic scales - and when that happens, the metallics can really pop - and look really neat. A fish with only a very few to no metallic scales can be called "matt".

In a lot of genetic crosses, a number of fry will present with all matt scales - black button eyes and a whitish cast. The pink gills are very visible - called "soft gills" - for you can see right through them. It used to be that all such fry were culled early on - for they stay pretty much the same whitish color - kind of transparent and lacking in color. REcently, however, quite a few of them are to be seen as grown out adults. Many have a very pretty look - transparant and "pinkish". When grown large and full and in good body conformation, they can be a real comment piece in a tank.

A "pink" Pearlscale is an accepted color in show conformation. The "pink" usually refers to a very pale peach or pinkish cast in a nacreous or metallic fish, however, with or without soft gills.

Your little one can grow up to be a very interesting, softly pinkish pearlie.

:)

And, I have learned another new thing today! Always a pleasure to read what Daryl has to say!

Wow thanks Carol for the info and taking the time to post it. I had never heard of one either . I had never seen one untill I got her. Her button eyes are so cute in person. Still don't don't what it is sex wise, because she is too little ( about the size of a walnut) but I know she will grow big fast.

thanks and yes, his or her name is Angel. Too young yet to tell if it is a her or him. So Angel would fit no matter if it is a boy or girl. Here are a couple better pics of her color ( gonna call her a her till I know better) I took last night after cleaning the tank and changing her water and Gabriel's water. They are still not the best considering I was using a camera phone but they show her color better.

post-8446-1217604544_thumb.jpg

Edited by bettaqueen

• 4 weeks later...

she is actually an offwhite cream color. She has a very faint kiss of peach on the tips of her tail. the areas that look peach color are actually under her sking. she is opague or see through in those areas as Daryl was meantioning in an earlier post

Great fish.

It's called a pinky matte. When you cross calico x calico you get 50% calico nacreous, 25% pinky mattes (clear gills and black eyes, not very cold hardy) and 25% mock metalics.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

• 1 month later...
I've seen those peachy pearlscales before. I call them Sherbets!
I saw a pearscale that was a peach color. It wasn't transparent or anything, though. I was thinking when I saw it that Sherbet would be a cute name! Maybe if I get one that color that's what I'll name it. :)
And, I have learned another new thing today! Always a pleasure to read what Daryl has to say!
Ditto!