Whoa! Earthquake!

lynda441

Roni and I are, right this minute, madly chatting back and forth about the 5.8 earthquake that just hit 29 miles east of Los Angeles in Diamond Bar, CA. I've been in a few and just considered them a bit of fun, but this one started the little, fun type shaking and I was doing my typical, "woo-hoo! an earthquake, how fun!" Then, it started shaking, and shaking and shaking and getting worse and worse and my plant stands were tippling side to side and I literally jumped up with hands stretched in two directions at once trying to decide what I should try to grab and save first and then my thoughts centered on my fish tanks. I looked at them and the water is sloshing side to side and the fish are madly swaying. It lasted forever and ever; probably easy, 30 seconds, which, for an earthquake, is a long time, and if you're in one, it seems like forever! Definitely the longest lasting and fiercest earthquake I've been in! What a rush! Well, I've had my excitement for today... for quite some time to come I think!

5.8 Earthquake, Los Angeles

Wow how are all you Californians doing? o.k. I hope? I was up in our lunch room here at work and they have flat screens in there playing cnn and I saw it on there. I know what you mean about excitement. We had a 5.6 here in Missouri a couple months ago in the middle of the night. kinda gets you attention

• Admin

Wow it was scary at first but now Im kinda like cool. I watched the water in my fish tanks swaying back and forth, my entertainment center door swaying too. For some reason didnt notice until it started my Odie went under the bed. Mookie she just sat by TD's feet not moving but was acting strange before hand....

WOW what a cool thing again :D

• Admin

Yeah they do, last one I was in was Northridge and my bird at the time warned me. Didnt think to much about it this time...Silly me but it wasnt as big as the Northridge :lol

I can't image feeling an actual earthquake. The most we get is maybe a 4.3 every 10 years or so.

It's always a rush. But, like I said, when they're small and short, they're fun, but I have to say, this was the first time I actually panicked at an earthquake. The epicenter was pretty much dead center between Roni and I with Koko being about 90 minutes or so further north from me.

Silly me but it wasnt as big as the Northridge

I wasn't in California at the time of the Northridge quake, but that one would've been serious for me as I only live over the hill from Northridge.... and now I can have an idea of how really scared I would be! I was just imagining what to do with my fish if the tanks fell over and how I was about to clean up 80 gallons of spilled water!

Edited by lynda441

My hubby just called to tell me to call the kids - they live inCA. But he was mistaken - he thought the quake as in San Fran - not LA. (they are closer to San Fran).

I am glad nothing is hurt there. I have only been in one quake - and that was suprisingly disturbing. The ground under your feet is NOT supposed to move like that. Houses, man made structures of all types, etc. CAN be expected to move, but the EARTH, itself, is NOT supposed to.

:thud !

• Admin

I agree Daryl the earth should not move like that :o

The cool thing is, is after wards the feeling of making it with out any problems, like a rush like lynda said :D

I agree Daryl the earth should not move like that :o

The cool thing is, is after wards the feeling of making it with out any problems, like a rush like lynda said :D

I was outside having a cig when it hit. It hit with a jolt, and I literally could not get up from the chair I was in from the continuous rolling. I swear it lasted several minutes, and based on what Lynda sent me, what I was feeling was the cluster of aftershocks hitting on the tail of the main quake. Starting about 40/50 miles south and rolling N toward me and the mountains then rolling back S to the epicenter.

My town sits on an underground lake. I'm somewhere in the shallows or on the beach. I get VERY nervous with big shakes. I don't have flood insurance. :D

• Admin

You two must be alot closer, cause here it was a big rolling effect, seemed like it last a min. I wanted to get up but then I wasnt sure if it was going to get bigger than what it was.....

hold on you two they are saying this is just the baby and that there might be a bigger one with in 7 days :yikes

hold on you two they are saying this is just the baby and that there might be a bigger one with in 7 days :yikes

SHUT UP! Really?! OMG! Oh maaaaannnn...... I can't afford broken stuff right now! And, as awful as material stuff breaking may be, my biggest worry is, always, my scaley babies! hhmmmm....

Well, I count 32 subsequent temblors, aftershocks, currently, since the "big" 5.8 one, most only 1.whatever, but a couple of 3.whatevers, but I haven't felt any of them....

Southern California Earthquake Data Center

Wow! I didn't sign off for ONE day and I come back to earthquakes and all kinds of stuff! LOL Glad you are all okay! I have never been in any sort of earthquake so I have NO idea how it feels... Very weird!!!