Feeding Question

Smilingfish

Sorta a random question but how often do you feed your goldies? Just recently I switched to gel food 1 x a day and wondered what everyone else is doing... :hummm

Edited by Smilingfish

For a long time I was doing once a day, especially when I was having nitrate troubles.

I'm back to twice a day now because my tank is far from overstocked and the water quality is great. I try to make one meal very light though, maybe a bit of orange or something like that. However, I still try to fast them or give them just peas one day a week.

Fry get fed evey few hours. Little guys get 2-4 meals a day, bigger fish (5-6) and above usually only get one meal a day. A fish that is being groomed for show may get a bit more - or heavier on protien or some such, depending on the fish/breed/conformation/color. A fish that is being groomed for breeding may get 2-3 meals a day....

In general, I would say one nice meal a day for an adult fish (4 inches +) is just fine for the average fish/keeper.

:)

Fry get fed evey few hours. Little guys get 2-4 meals a day, bigger fish (5-6) and above usually only get one meal a day. A fish that is being groomed for show may get a bit more - or heavier on protien or some such, depending on the fish/breed/conformation/color. A fish that is being groomed for breeding may get 2-3 meals a day....

In general, I would say one nice meal a day for an adult fish (4 inches +) is just fine for the average fish/keeper.

So, what size constitutes a "little guy." I think I may need to be feeding more often! So, then, what is the point of feeding more often? Does it help them grow bigger faster, or what? And is protein the best thing for fast growth?

• Admin

So, what size constitutes a "little guy." I think I may need to be feeding more often! So, then, what is the point of feeding more often? Does it help them grow bigger faster, or what? And is protein the best thing for fast growth?

Little guys are goldies that are in there 1-4" range there the babies of goldfish. Feeding the little ones more often cause they are growing up and have a higher metabolism and need more food to grow, kinda like kittens and puppies :D Foods like Progold or foods high in protein are good for little guys :D

I feed my goldies the Hikari sinking pellets in the morning...they go nuts...and in the evenings its always vegetables..boiled lettuce, spinach, peas etc..or some fruit(very rare)..and on weekends one of their meals is frozen dried bloodworms...is this good??..As Daryl and Koko say 1-4 inch lil guys should be fed more often..mine are barely 2 inches..should I feed them more??..should I mix Progold with Hikari as well???

Right now all of my fish are being fed once a day. Since the tanks they are in currently are smaller than the ones they will be moved to, I've been giving them just the one meal a day...I ordered Pro Gold and started giving that to my fish and I really did see major growth. I was so pleased with it that I went back and ordered more food from GFC.. I ordered the bloodworms, krill, brine shrimp and spirulina flakes. I also do peas and I have a little container of red shrimp that I bought at the store.. I've been trying to change things up each day, and I've been giving them one fasting day a week.. I am curious to start trying out more new foods, like oranges, lettuce etc. So far they love EVERYTHING from GFC.. The only exception is Miranda & Samantha. Right now I am feeding them Jumpstart only because Samantha just finished a course of MetroMeds..