High Water Temps!

Is there anything I can do or will my fish be ok. We are haveing AC problems and it will be late this afternoon before the repair man comes out. The temps in the tank are easly reaching 90 degrees (the temp inside the house) :yikes . I have cranked up the bubble maker in main tank but pore little Twitch in the hospital tank is getting left out. Will they be ok? :unsure:

I've heard of other memebers putting bottles of frozen water in their tank to help bring the temps down.

I hardly live in a climate where this would happen, so that's really the only advice i have. Hopefully someone else can help you out.

YEs - bottles of frozen water (the bottle will keep the water from being mixed with your tank water) floating in the tank will provide cooler temps. You can simply add cooler water, too.

Fish can survive high temps of the water as long as there is OXYGEN in the water. Warm water holds far less oxygen than cooler water - and hot water holds very little. If your fish are gasping at the surface - that is what they are doing. They are not as bothered by the heat, itself, but by the lack of oxygen. So simply cooling the water will not help instantly. You need to be more oxygen into the tank.

There are numerous things you can do to increase the oxygen into a tank. Lower your water level a bit so that your HOB filter splashes vigourously as it returns the water. The splash will incorportate oxygen.

Add as many air features as you can to a tank.

Open all the lids - aim a fan over the surface if possible.

A water pump, air pump or even a backup filter that adds splash will help to move the water from the bottom of the tank to the top will help. I have hung every filter and pump I have in my spare parts box over tanks and set them going - they move the water and bring it to the surface to oxygenate.

Good luck. The summer heat is really oppressive here, too.

Guest goldienewbie

I am going to preface this by saying that I am not qualified to give advice. What I am going to contribute is merely an idea. If you have a ceiling fan in the room with the hospital tank maybe you can consider opening the lid and turning the fan on. However, if your fish is a jumper or you forsee any other circumstance where having the lid open could potentially harm your fish I wouldn't do so. Also, as I'm sure you've already realized leaving the tank lights off may help keep them cooler.

I am going to preface this by saying that I am not qualified to give advice. What I am going to contribute is merely an idea. If you have a ceiling fan in the room with the hospital tank maybe you can consider opening the lid and turning the fan on. However, if your fish is a jumper or you forsee any other circumstance where having the lid open could potentially harm your fish I wouldn't do so. Also, as I'm sure you've already realized leaving the tank lights off may help keep them cooler.

goldienewbie, everyone here is qualified to come up with ideas. You don't have to be a fish expert. Sometimes someone newer to the hobby thinks of things outside of the box that others may not.

You're always welcome to express yourself and your ideas here, and your input is valuable! :)

Under the same disclaimer, I'd like to add that in theory (and, in my own opinion, in practice) it would indeed be a good idea to open the lid (taking into account the comment above): the heat would cause the water evaporate, taking part of the heat with it. The downside here is that your water level will drop relatively fast(er), so you need to keep an eye on that.

Thanks for the replies, thankfully the AC guy is almost to my house. I am at work right now, I will have my girlfriend go get a bag of ice. It will take too long to freeze the bottles, I will fill ziplock baggies full of ice. Should do the same as bottles, I will also lower the water a bit so the power heads from my canisters will splash. I have kept my lights off as suggested and my big bubble maker is going full blast. I definatly got water movement from it. I have not noticed my fish at the top gasping, but then again I left at 7am. At that time the temp in the main tank was 86 degrees, hard to tell if Twitch in the hospital tank is gasping, he has a float problem and is mostly at the top anyway. That tank doed not have a lid and uses a spray bar. That is one that I am really worried about, it is a small tank and the temp fluctuate very rapidly with the outside temp. I cannot have too much current or pore little Twitch will be all over the tank.

Well, thankfully the AC is now fixed. The water temps are not quite as high as I expected but pretty close. 88 degrees. :blowup: She said the fish are swimming around fine and not at the top, including Twitch. :D

Well, thankfully the AC is now fixed. The water temps are not quite as high as I expected but pretty close. 88 degrees. :blowup: She said the fish are swimming around fine and not at the top, including Twitch. :D

That is good news :D

Well they survived the fiasco. :D The hospital tank is back down to 72 and the main tank is back to 78 where they normally are. I have now started keeping frozen baggies of water in the freezer, just in case. Thanks for the help and learning experience.