Fry Tails - Will They Get Longer?

lantern567

I was just curious about the tails on the fry. My little ones have what look like common tails, but I think both the parents have longer comet tails. Do they grow more as the fish get older?

When the fry are VERY young, their tails look like every other fry's tail.....

As they grow,the proportions of the fish will change and you should be able to see a hint of what the mature fish may look like - at least the proportions.

At about 16 weeks, you should more or less be able to see the proportions even on a line you are unfamiliar with - and you can tell if they will have "standard", "short" or "long" tails.

How old/large are your fry?

I think they are about 7 weeks old, though I seem to have had several batches of them, so I'm not exactly sure. Excluding tails, one is about an inch long, the others are a little bit smaller. I had many more in the tank, but I put most in the pond, and kept 4 inside. They are at the stage where they often swim in a group, and come to the side of the tank to look at me when I come into the room.

When will I get a hint of color? Right now they are light bronze on top, but their little bellies are whitish. Sometimes I think I see a glimmer of orange in their scales as they swim, but I am probably just imagining things.

Guest spawn

Well mine are just starting to color up at 3months. (except the Calico/Shubs which colored at 1-2months).

As for finage. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I have some nice long tailed goldfish that I was hoping to get some babies of.

Although the size isn't there for mine at 3months, I can definately see different shaped tails. (some looking a bit scruffy), and its those i'm hoping to fill out.

In my experience the calicoes always color up first. Usually by 2 months of age you can start to see who will be calico. Other colorings can take longer, sometimes much longer. I have one fry that will be one year old in a couple of weeks...that is still chocolate/bronze on top and creamy white on the belly, still carrying his fry colorings.

Daryl knows more about when some of the other colorings tend to show up in the lines she breeds.