R.i.p. Jade

I am sorry to say that Jade died last night. She had not been eating and been doing a lot of bottom sitting despite her tail and fin rot stopping a possible healing taking place. She was swimming around some Sunday. I had done a complete round of Maracyn 2 and of Maracyn and she was doing better. I did a complete water change on Thursday and added salt. I was getting ready to do another water change last night and noticed her having what I thought was swim bladder isssues ( letting the current push her around and not trying to swim or use her tail like she had been). I quickly put her in a Beanie box with some water so I could rush her up to Pets*mart which is only a couple blocks from my apartment to see if she had swim bladder and recommendations on ideas on treatment. Their is a guy that works there that actually knows a lot about saltwater and freshwater fish. Jade breathed her last breath and passed away on the counter in the container as we were dicusssing what treatment to give her. Since she is so plump and round from being a pearlscale I did not notice that she had a tumor. He pointed it out to me. He said from the placement of the tumor that he believed that is what killed her . He believes because of where the tumor was located that in a certain area that the black I was seeing on her tail and part of her fins was actually cutting off the blood supply to her tail and causing it to necrose ( die and turn black-kinda like gangrene) He also asked me what I was feeding her and I told him omega one flakes. But she also gobbled down the shrimp pellets I would put in there for the catfish. He said gold fish should not have a diet of over 40 % protein and that it tended to increase the risk for tumors if they are fed too much protien. He mentioned not feeding a goldfish anything over 40 % protein and added I should be feeding romaine lettuce, and oranges too with other veggies. So I was able to find the omega one veggie rounds with sprinella, kelp etc. They are good for the other pearscale I have and the catfish likes them too. I am still plannning on upgrading to a 10 gallon next month. The other pearscale I have is only about the size of a walnut ( not including the tail- cute little thing that she is)

--------------------

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Aww RIP Jade and what a sad story. Hopefully though, this story being posted here now can potentially save other GF's lives too. :[ RIP

Poor little Jade! I'm so sorry! Swim in Peace little Jade! :tou

I forgot to mention that I was VERY pleased to hear that there are, at least, some knowledgeable employees at the chain stores. I was surprised, but pleased.

I know I was glad he knew so much about fish. The pet*smart he is at is only 2 blocks away. So hopefully I won't need to but if I need anymore help he will be able to help me.

• 2 weeks later...

Im so sorry- you must have felt so helpless- I know I did. Its scary when your fish get sick- I couldnt sleep the whole time my butters was sick knowing that he would probably die as I slept. Im so sorry

R.I.P jade