Emerald Cory Rubbing On The Rocks

My emerald cory Whiskers was searching for food on bottom of the tank this morning when I noticed him quickly turning on his side and rubbing on the river rocks. He did it a few times. It looked like he was scratching himself. I've never seen a fish do that before. Is it parasites? That's the first thing I thought of. I'm doing a round of prazi just to be sure.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? N/T

Nitrate level? N/T

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.6

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55g 1.5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear 110/500gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once a week/50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 red oranda,3.5in, 1 calico fantail, 3in, 1 pearlscale, 2in, 1 black moor, 2in, 1 peppered cory, 2.5in,

1 emerald cory, 3in

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquarium salt, seachem neutral regulator

[*]Any medications added to the tank? prazi

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? The emerald cory 2 days ago

[*]What do you feed your fish? Aqueon flakes, peas, bloodworms, freeze dried shrimp

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? Emerald cory rubbing his side on the river rocks

Well I noticed him doing it again this evening. He's eating and acting normal except every once in a while he'll turn over really quick and rub his side on a rock or ornament, almost like he's scratching an itch. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest making a new topic on the Emergency (911 or 999) or the Diagnosis & Discussion forum, to get the attention of the right people (I myself don't know enough about this kind of stuff to give any proper advise :idont ). I don't think they'd mind that you posted it there, given that it's about a sick fish and all, even if it's not specifically a goldfish.

Edited by Erinaceus

• 3 months later...
Guest Jake Minimuto

It is probably ich or some other parasite, as the fish tries to itch the parasite off their body.

EDIT:

whoops sorry about that didn't realize this thread was from july

Edited by Jake Minimuto

You said prazi was added to the tank, but is it still in there? Also, what is the % of the salt in there?

If you didn't quarenteen the cory before adding him to the tank there's a very good chance he has something, it sounds like it's probably flukes. Also, is there any way you can find out what your nitrites and nitrates are?

Edited by Chrissy_Bee