How Do People Keep Warm!?

svendenhowser

Well we're in the middle of winter here and I reckon this is our coldest winter on record! The max was 16C the other day and I have never ever known the max to be so low ever! Tomorrow its meant to be 0C at uni as the minimun and as I leave for uni before 6am it's still dark and would be pretty close to the min..

So how do people keep warm in the cold? Our lecture theatres aren't heated because we've had no need for it in the past, theres only an air conditioning switch. I knew it was going to be cold the other day so I wore full body thermals, wool socks, 3 layers on top, 2 layers on the legs and a scarf and I was absolutely frozen ALL DAY.

What else can I do?! Help me koko's!

LOL This is funny because I can't get cooled off! EVER!!! It's summer here and if I even step into a room that's above 70 degrees I get gross and hot and can NOT cool off!!!! Right now I wish I was having your problem.. I am ALWAYS warm. In the fall when everyone is wearing jackets, pants, I'm in tank tops/shorts. And in the winter when most people are bundled up, with hats and warm fuzzy coatsthats when I put on a sweatshirt and jeans.. I don't even buy winter coats. Just have hoodies LOL M bedroom air conditioner runs ALL year.. No joke.. Even in winter.... So if you find anyone who can answer you on how to keep warm, maybe they can help me learn how to cool off! LOL

OKay we'll switch!!! You come stay and my house and I'll go to yours and then we can always switch based on the seasons!! : ) That way I am always cool and you are always warm...

We'd only have to save up millions and millions of dollars for air fare!! LOL

drink lots of vodka? lol. jk.

THERE'S A PLAN! lol

Not-so-sunny Queensland this year eh? Same thing here in the west. 10 years here and as best as I can remember this year is the coldest, wettest, and windiest winter ever.

How do I keep warm? Eat eat eat eat :D:D

The same kind of weather is usual for Belgian fall and winter. What we do (because most of the times the temp in our lecture theatres is either to hot or to cold) is to were to sweaters, but I suppose you might already thought of that. In the case of the wodka suggestion, I doubt you'll be able to get much from the lecture that way, so it'd be better to just stay home (preferrably with some friends) and drink it there instead :P .

Well, I have to say that if full body thermals, wool socks, 3 layers on top, 2 layers on the legs and a scarf don't do it for ya, pretty much nothing is going to... sounds like you're just not used to it, clearly, so, until, and unless you find a way to acclimate, you're just gonna have to be cold I guess... or, you could think about this... you could be in Alaska, Northern Canada, or yes, Sweden, or, ooh! how about Siberia!?, where temperatures get into below 0 temps and that's farenheit.... that might make you feel a little warmer! lol!

Oh it's been sunny :P Although probably better than average rain this season (it is our dry season after all) as our dams have just hit 40%

I bought a thermos a while ago but it doesn't seem to keep anything warm for very long! It's too expensive to buy hot drinks everyday, I don't even drink coffee and if you ask for a cup of hot water for tea they make you pay :(

I did find these though

sku_11141_1.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11141

Now all I need is to figure out how to get the insides out and put them in my shoes! Oh and find a way to power a usb powered device with a computer :P Maybe my old mp3 player could do it.. it was a usb stick that plugged into a battery! Could be a stroke of genius, or turn horribly horribly wrong..

The vodka idea sounds good! Although I don't know how much I'd learn at uni in a constant drunk state hehe..

Edited by svendenhowser

Or yes, you could come to Sweden in the winter!

Then you would find your winter very warm.

We can have -20C here, that is cold...

When I was in China a few years ago it was -15C up near the Mongolian border, but I was basically in pain from the cold the whole time :P I pulled almost every muscle in my body from shivering! My b/f only had a jumper/t-shirt + jeans and was fine! I had all my layers on AND his and I was still frozen!

Luckily it'll only be a week or so and it'll be back up to the mid 20's, back to normal winter weather!

I have no idea how you guys live in the cold for any length of time! Right now my feet are blue and the reverse cycle air conditioner is on 31C maybe I'm just broken..

Keep warm? lol Don't have that problem. We have a heat advisory out all week. I would be happy to trade places with you in a heart beat. I so hate summer.

I have no idea how you guys live in the cold for any length of time! Right now my feet are blue and the reverse cycle air conditioner is on 31C maybe I'm just broken..

We just adapt to the cold (-10?C) in the winter and adapt to the heat (30?c) in the summer ;)

Sven can't you get those little heating pad things. They're filled with some kind of volcanic ash or something (probably got that wildly wrong) that heats up when you shake it. The heat lasts about 4 or 5 hours and then you replace it. I ride a motorcyle all through winter here in Japan and I am totally dependent on these things to stay alive in the cold!! Can put them in your socks, underwear, gloves etc. I know you can also get them in the UK so I'm sure you can find them there. Its terrible being cold-the worst.

Only other advice I can think of is move. Keep moving. Run. Jog. Exercise. But yes then you get tired and even colder...brrr.

You sound a bit like my daughter. She just cannot seem to get warm at times. It frequently goes to -36C or colder, here.... but that can be dealt with.

The main thing you have to do is increase your blood circulation. Get a regular exercise program going.... get your heart pumping and your blood flowing. Work until you flush out. Do this at least once a day..... you will have much better circulation for it.

Eating more calories will keep you warmer - but you cannot do that if you do not use them up!

Put on a hat. Cover your head and your ears. You lose the most heat through your head, so COVER it.

Stay warm. It is VERY hot here, today. :)

I bought a thermos a while ago but it doesn't seem to keep anything warm for very long! It's too expensive to buy hot drinks everyday, I don't even drink coffee and if you ask for a cup of hot water for tea they make you pay

That's too bad because that was my tip...when all else fails, hot drinks :P

It's funny what you get used to. A few years ago I went to Florida for a vacation in late October. My sis and I (being from Canada...not quite as cold here as where Heidi is, but cold enough) were wearing shorts and tanks and feeling very warm at 22 and 25 degrees. The Florida natives were looking at us like we were crazy, they were all in their fall/winter clothes :P

Now I'm in the oppostie situation as you, it has been hot hot hot here! Well...around 30 or 31 everyday, which is not normal. I can't cope with it, I hide in my basement just to get any work done.

Guest Halloween

Ugh, I HATE winter. I used to go to a school that was always cold.. I wore my winter jacket the entire day... But even then my teeth chattered. The only thing I can think of it was you mentioned you already do. Wear warm clothes. I would wear a long sleeve shirt, my long sleeve overshirt, 1 or 2 sweatshirts, than my winter jacket, zipped. And I would still freeze. NO GOOD.

There are electric blankets, to bad there isn't electric coats.

Well, have you tried using those instant warmer things? Once you take them out of the plastic they slowly get warm. Feels like theres sandy stuff inside them... I suppose you could use those Terma Care heat wrap things too. When I camp in the fall I use those instant warmers. They get pretty warm!

I bought a thermos a while ago but it doesn't seem to keep anything warm for very long! It's too expensive to buy hot drinks everyday, I don't even drink coffee and if you ask for a cup of hot water for tea they make you pay

That's too bad because that was my tip...when all else fails, hot drinks :P

It's funny what you get used to. A few years ago I went to Florida for a vacation in late October. My sis and I (being from Canada...not quite as cold here as where Heidi is, but cold enough) were wearing shorts and tanks and feeling very warm at 22 and 25 degrees. The Florida natives were looking at us like we were crazy, they were all in their fall/winter clothes :P

Now I'm in the oppostie situation as you, it has been hot hot hot here! Well...around 30 or 31 everyday, which is not normal. I can't cope with it, I hide in my basement just to get any work done.

my gosh Chrissy your an eastcoaster!! you have to get the cold where you are !!! ..we have very unstable temps here sometimes it soo cold it hurts to breath ..it is also very damp which makes it that much worse

my gosh Chrissy your an eastcoaster!! you have to get the cold where you are !!! ..we have very unstable temps here sometimes it soo cold it hurts to breath ..it is also very damp which makes it that much worse

It actually is pretty moderate here, but always WET! In the winter we usually don't get anything below -10 or 15, with the wind it's colder of course. But then the next day we'll have 0 or 2 degrees. It makes for very messy times!